Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Yes - Keys to Ascension (box)

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    Ouch. I still think of the Keys albums as "new" Yes. Damn, I'm getting old.

Anyway, when the Keys sets first came out, I was underwhelmed by the studio material and annoyed that it was bloated out to 4 CDs with the addition of a bunch of overly glossy live tracks that sounded doctored and, for the most part, didn't really add much to the band's previous live albums.

Then a couple years ago I revisited the sets and tried to picture it as a double vinyl album from the band's heyday. I put together this playlist:

Side 1: Mind Drive
    Side 2: Footprints, Children of Light, Sign Language
    Side 3: That That Is
    Side 4: Onward (live), America (live), Turn of the Century (live)

Sort of a reverse 3 Sides Live. After giving that a few listens, it really grew on me. That would have made a great album. Maybe the band should cash in on the resurgence of vinyl (before the fad ends) and release it that way.
    My version was just the studio tracks split onto two LPs. But I like yours too. A little live classic-era material would have been great. In the 2 cd sets, the studio tracks were overwhelmed by too much live material.

I also agree, its not too late: Put the thing out as a 2LP set. Not that it'll go platinum but it could revive interest in this odd, underappreciated era of Yes. Better cover needed than Keystudio, though!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I just find the live stuff on these typical of late-period live efforts by 'rock legends'. Polished and tidied so much they are pointless, and sticking to the 'studio script'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Yeah, I think I've played the live disk of KTA2 once. It does seem pointless. I do watch the KTA DVD though on occasion.
    I doubt I've listened to the live tracks on the Keys albums since they were released. They don't even enter my mind when thinking of KTA actually. To me it's all about those studio cuts.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I love that section. Way better than Jon singing about the "eyes of child" or some such nonsense!!! Gimme Crack Time!!!
    Yes but few realize that the only way Jon could stomach warbling that line of negativity was secretly knowing he was actually speaking about a crack in the twisting fabric of space/time that led into a mystical world of wonders where the excess energy of the writhing masses of piteous earth creatures escape to and coalesce into its own living entity, billowing and pillowing, rising until the pillow is smashed like a piñata and the iced feathers fall to the ground like snow.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    crack in the twisting fabric of space/time that led into a mystical world of wonders where the excess energy of the writhing masses of piteous earth creatures escape to and coalesce into its own living entity, billowing and pillowing, rising until the pillow is smashed like a piñata and the iced feathers fall to the ground like snow.
    Doo dah! Doo dah!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Yes but few realize that the only way Jon could stomach warbling that line of negativity was secretly knowing he was actually speaking about a crack in the twisting fabric of space/time that led into a mystical world of wonders where the excess energy of the writhing masses of piteous earth creatures escape to and coalesce into its own living entity, billowing and pillowing, rising until the pillow is smashed like a piñata and the iced feathers fall to the ground like snow.
    I knew that!!!

A Keystudio vinyl release (with a better cover) would be awesome. Never been available on that format, has it?
    The Prog Corner

Now I get it!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    My version was just the studio tracks split onto two LPs. But I like yours too. A little live classic-era material would have been great. In the 2 cd sets, the studio tracks were overwhelmed by too much live material.

I also agree, its not too late: Put the thing out as a 2LP set. Not that it'll go platinum but it could revive interest in this odd, underappreciated era of Yes. Better cover needed than Keystudio, though!

Well, if nothing else this thread has prompted me to listen to my "vinyl configuration" playlist twice this week, which is more than I've listened to the KTA material since the discs first came out.

I think I ditched the live albums but I still have the single studio disc. I haven't spun it in years. It's well past time for a visit.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The live albums do have the best officially released live version of "Awaken" unless I'm mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    The live albums do have the only officially released live version of "Awaken" unless I'm mistaken.
    I believe (at least until recently)

Cozy, I' think we've done the tour de la question twice already... Let's move on
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

And there's also the Union Live version.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Whitefish contained bits of Silent Wings.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Tom played Mind Drive on Gagliarchives last night (referring to it as a classic!), and I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. It might have a bit of a FrankenYes quality, but it's got a lot of nice parts.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Other than that, no. I think Downes mentioned (in response to a question about its absence from their 'classic album' tours) that Howe feels the album isn't strong enough to work on stage. I agree, but 'Future Times/Rejoice' deserves to be brought out of mothballs. I always thought that was a successful attempt at condensing their sound.
    I was really hoping that this would be the song they played from the album on the last tour.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Listened to some of these tracks last night for the first time in a long time. It struck me that “That, That Is” is a very good fusion of epic 70s Yes and 80s cocaine frosted tipped Yes.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    80s cocaine frosted tipped Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    True that. But they still could have, should have held off for a single studio release.
    The initial plan was to do the SLO shows and then release a live album. Latterly, the record company asked for some new studio material as well, so Yes recorded "That, That Is" and "Be the One" and included them on Keys to Ascension. Many months later, they re-convened and recorded the studio material on Keys to Ascension 2. Feeling that material was good, the plan was to release that, as Know, but the band then split from the record company, so the record company decided to go back to plan A and release the rest of the live material with this new studio material as Keys to Ascension 2.

The option of releasing all the studio material together never existed. The studio sessions for the two albums were recorded further apart in time than those for Fragile and Close to the Edge. They are different sessions, with different dynamics (e.g., Wakeman just coming in at the end for the KtA studio sessions, but full involved for the KtA2 ones; KtA built more around an Anderson/Squire writing partnership, while KtA2 more built around Anderson/Howe).

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    One of the reasons Mind Drive sounds so good is that it was written between 77 and 79 (most of it anyways)
    The odd rhythmic part dates back to 1980ish, but I'm not aware of the rest of the piece dating back that far. The rest appears to be a modern invention.

"Children of Light", though, dates back to the late '70s.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/