Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geddy Lee on Dan Rather's "The Big Interview"

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Almost as bad as when Peart stated that for him, the band starts with "Permanent Waves." Sometimes you wonder if these guys realize that their entire career is really built off a 5-year period of their lives: 1976-1981 (like most successful artists really).
    I feel like I understand Peart here. As a casual Rush fan, I don't listen to much of their older stuff. A few months ago I played Chronicles straight through, and was struck more than ever by the Led Zeppelin resemblance. (More accurately, it resembled a particular subset of LZ, and you can tell that later on they started listening to Yes.) Then "La Villa Strangiato" started up and my immediate reaction was, "Holy shit, a Rush song!" There's such a discontinuous change in style -- as if the entire band abruptly emerged in its adult form.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

I thought the interview was great. The parts about his dad dying young, and Ged finding something he was "good at" were so relatable for me. The details of his parents' experiences were pretty heavy. Very in-depth. Considering his obsessive collecting habits, I'm glad that finally translated to bass guitars, and I'm looking forward to the book.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I was almost waiting for Alex to pop in at the end with a cameo, maybe peeking through the window.
    Chad

I can only echo what everybody else has said, but having watched various documentaries about the band and interviews with Ged, there was very little stated here that I did not already know. I kept expecting Alex to just waltz in the front door and join the interview!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I was almost waiting for Alex to pop in at the end with a cameo, maybe peeking through the window.
    LOL! Great minds!

I actually haven't heard many Geddy Lee interviews before, if any. I'm a "casual" Rush fan in that I have "only" 12 of their albums. I just listened to the interview as I worked and was very impressed by his personality, thoughtfulness and articulation.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

I've never heard a Lee interview before. Ive listened to them since 2112, though the last three albums left me cold, clearly I had lost interest in them. This was a fantastic interview. The piece about his mom at the anniversary, having finally won the war...fucking hell, beautiful. What a great human being. Poignant, thoughtful, intelligent. Down to earth. I may not be much of a Rush fan any longer, but count me in as Geddy fan for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I'm not suprised at all, Geddy Lee's clearly talented.

Much better.

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Almost as bad as when Peart stated that for him, the band starts with "Permanent Waves." Sometimes you wonder if these guys realize that their entire career is really built off a 5-year period of their lives: 1976-1981 (like most successful artists really).
    They had hits played on the way up through Counterparts, so it's really a 76-92 or so prime period for Rush.

If he likes Clockwork so much he should realize that it was horribly mastered and they should put out a new version.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    If he likes Clockwork so much he should realize that it was horribly mastered and they should put out a new version.
    ^What he said.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

If he had picked any other album as his "favorite" he'd be basically stating that they have been going downhill for X amount of years.

I'd have loved for him to look into the camera, deadpan, and claim they never topped their debut. The "new guy" never made the grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'd have loved for him to look into the camera, deadpan, and claim they never topped their debut. The "new guy" never made the grade.
    Definitely jumped the shark with the new guy.

Before the inevitable happens, I'd like to chime in and say I watched the interview and was knocked out by Geddy's erudition and Rather's skillful interview chops (ask an interesting question and then get out of the way). Thank goodness for DVRs!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Where's that thong photo from FMPM when you need it?
    Touché!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    As we said, it was very interesting.

Sorry for the O/T post, but the interview was phenomenal. I started it planning on watching the 1st five or so minutes, and I ended up watching the entire thing, and then searching out bonus clips. Geddy is flat out a class act and a wonderful human being. Ged a was such a huge influence and hero of mine in my younger days, and in some ways he still is. Just one minor tiny grumble, and that is Clockwork Angels cited as his favourite work. I'm not accusing him of being insincere, but just rather bewildered by that choice. I think my mom would even love to watch this.

Quote Originally Posted by frippster View Post
    That's a good point. And I probably wasn't being fair to Rather in my expectations either. He's been at the pinnacle of journalism for decades and interviewed all facets of society; you don't get to that level, let alone stay, if you're not skilled in knowing how to converse interestingly with folks whom you may not be all that familiar. Plus, since an "in-depth" interview with a celebrity seems to mean little more than a soundbite from a press junket promoting their latest product, it's nice to see a revealing long-form conversation.

Yeah, I majored in journalism in college. Great choice, that.
    I'd loved to have seen the raw unedited cut. The last few minutes of the interview made it worthwhile for me.

I found nearly all of it going over old territory but as a history lesson it was kind of focused.

It's great that a lot of people are discovering Geddy and the band through this interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    If he had picked any other album as his "favorite" he'd be basically stating that they have been going downhill for X amount of years.

Believe it or not I've met at least three people who think that first album was as good as it got. And Gene Simmons thinks so too.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Believe it or not I've met at least three people who think that first album was as good as it got. And Gene Simmons thinks so too.
    Lifeson's playing is ferocious on the s/t, and his sound is killer imo.

I thought the interview was great. He seems like he really achieved the balance between rock star, Toronto suburbanite and family man. As far as bass playing goes, I think he went from being derivative of the Squire sound to totally eclipsing rock bassists in technique. The way he locks in with Peart on those fast runs, while singing, is phenomenal!

The evolution of his love for baseball was very interesting, particularly for a Canadian. I, for one, was thankful that Canadian disinterest gave us the Nationals! Oh, wait, is that my ripped-out, still-beating heart on the floor?!

it was on YouTube but pulled.

I don't get AXIS TV, so I can't watch it On Demand.

They should put it up on their website or YouTube.

Is there any possibility of this thread getting back on topic? Great interview!

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    it was on YouTube but pulled.

I don't get AXIS TV, so I can't watch it On Demand.

They should put it up on their website or YouTube.
    Agreed. You can buy the Geddy Lee and other episodes for $2 from their shop, and there are lots of interviews I would find interesting (Phil Collins, Roger Waters, Billy Gibbons, etc.). There are a few full "big interviews" on youtube, like Kid Rock and Wynonna Judd. Maybe the one with Geddy will show up again, but if not, I may buy a few to download. $2 for 52 min isn't bad, but I'm not sure I'll watch many of them more than once.

http://www.axs.tv/buy-axs-tv-program...erview-online/