Thread: Flora does Genesis

Flora does Genesis

I was looking at a youtube clip someone send me and then I had lots of Genesis covers by rather young people popping up ( the original clip was a Led Zep cover by two younger sisters hence...)

So by curiosity I looked the first one : Firth Of Fifth by Flora and I don't like her singing, but her piano playing is really good and over the top recorded in a professional studio on a concert piano.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

As a singer, she's a bit like Amy Winehouse with a heavy foreign accent (and, I suspect, limited understanding of English).

The mind races...

I'm not entirely sure, but I think she may also sing lead in an Amy Winehouse tribute band:

It sure looks and sounds like Flora, and like her, the frontwoman plays piano. And if that's the case, she sounds a lot more convincing actually impersonating Amy (where she can study her records and learn the pronunciation and interpretation in detail), than trying to imagine how Amy might sing a very un-Amy-like song. She still has an audible accent and slurred, mangled English, though, even if it's less noticeable within an Amy-like delivery. Note the white shirts and skinny ties on the bandsmen - they're dressed as the Dap-Kings, who were Amy's US back-up band.

^Agreed, fits better , south american ?

I found another young piano player playing and singing Firth Of Fifth, I haven't realized this has become such a staple for young female pianists . What about some Henry Cow covers?

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    ^Agreed, fits better , south american ?
    She's Italian - her Facebook page is mostly in Italian, and full of gig listings in Rome and elsewhere nearby.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 10-27-2017 at 12:30 AM.

What about some Henry Cow covers?
    Technically it’s a Slapp Happy/Henry Cow cover. And I apologize for the amateur camera work, even if I’m not to blame:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    .. with a heavy foreign accent (and, I suspect, limited understanding of English).
    From her enunciation, one could even imagine her being profoundly deaf.

But chances are, it's just lyrics learned phonetically. Some Japanese tribute bands sound that garbled.

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    From her enunciation, one could even imagine her being profoundly deaf.

But chances are, it's just lyrics learned phonetically. Some Japanese tribute bands sound that garbled.
    Yet for all of that, a heartfelt rendition. I ran across this a couple, few weeks ago and it made me happy.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    IIt sure looks and sounds like Flora, and like her, the frontwoman plays piano.
    Not her. Back To Amy's lead singer is somebody named Andrea Wielockx.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Not her. Back To Amy's lead singer is somebody named Andrea Wielockx.
    I think there are two different bands with the same name. The one you found is from Belgium, and has about twelve people - horn section, backup singers, the whole big deal. They're all older jazz-musician types, and Andrea has little facial resemblance to Flora, or to the singer in the band I found. The one I found is a much younger four-piece, where the singer is also the pianist, and looks a whole lot like Flora.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 10-27-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Flora has a nice voice, it's just heavily accented.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Technically it’s a Slapp Happy/Henry Cow cover. And I apologize for the amateur camera work, even if I’m not to blame:

Nice one ! Do they play more Henry Cow material ?

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk

Nice one ! Do they play more Henry Cow material ?
    That's Dexter Ford's project, which I believe he did back in college at the University of Oklahoma; it was all prog covers, ranging from Big 5 stuff to avant. Dexter's the bass player. The band were various other music students, most of whom hadn't even heard of prog as a genre, although I believe the keyboardist and one or two others were progheads. Some of them didn't get it at all, but still turned in good performances. Dexter used to be on PE (I forget what name he used) and is on the periphery of Thinking Plague - he's played and recorded on bass and keyboards with them, but isn't an official band member.

Here's some more stuff from them.

Last edited by Baribrotzer; 10-28-2017 at 08:58 PM.