Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Enslaved - E

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    East Linton, Scotland
    Posts
    349

    Enslaved - E

    I know some folks here might feel this thread is little out of place, but I genuinely enjoy Enslaved's music in a prog sense as much as in a metal sense, and I do feel that they work hard to progress their sound with each new album.

    I was lucky enough to be in Oslo when they premiered their new album - E - at a pre-release gig, and was able to pick up a copy of the album that night before it arrived on shop shelves. It was my first encounter with the band live, but I really enjoyed the set, and the new songs sounded particularly epic and proggy, which should go down well with the Opeth crowd when the two acts tour the UK next month.

    The new album breaks new ground for Enslaved, as the music has all the hallmarks of being influenced by the Skuggsja project collaboration with Einar Selvik of Wardruna, while still being determinedly metal and faithful to Enslaved's established sound.

    If you'd like to read more on my review of the new album, you can find it on my blog here:
    https://momentstransition.wordpress....slaved-e-2017/

    Skol!

  2. #2
    I have to admit I like this disc better than I thought I would...

    Would've been cool to see them live!!
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

  3. #3
    Traversing The Dream 100423's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kansas City Area
    Posts
    516
    I'm a big fan of Enslaved and I am really digging this album.
    Thanks for the well written review, John!

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    Would've been cool to see them live!!
    Yeah, I haven't seen them live yet, bet would really love to.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    193
    Excellent review! Enslaved are a great band and have been for such a long time. Pretty consistent quality to their writing and playing. This year's album is my favorite since Ruun in 2006.

  5. #5
    I saw Enslaved a few years ago, can't recall who they were on tour with but I did enjoy the show.

    Great review Will have to look at grabbing the new one at some point here...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  6. #6
    Traversing The Dream 100423's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kansas City Area
    Posts
    516
    North American tour just announced. Lawrence, KS? Yes please!
    With Wolves in the Throne Room too. I'm happy about that as I had to miss them earlier this year.



  7. #7
    Protip: if you don't love sage, sit out the WITTR set

    That said...it might be nice to see Myrkur. Maybe I can make the Philly date...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    East Linton, Scotland
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    North American tour just announced. Lawrence, KS? Yes please!
    With Wolves in the Throne Room too. I'm happy about that as I had to miss them earlier this year.


    That's a great bill! Wolves have been on my playlist almost as much as Enslaved - Thrice Woven is a fine album.

  9. #9
    Traversing The Dream 100423's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kansas City Area
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    That's a great bill! Wolves have been on my playlist almost as much as Enslaved - Thrice Woven is a fine album.
    Listening to Khemmis right now. Looks to be a really good night of metal.

    https://khemmis.bandcamp.com/album/hunted

  10. #10
    Traversing The Dream 100423's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kansas City Area
    Posts
    516
    Tickets are only $20 for 4 great bands. Tickets purchased!
    NP: Myrkur - Mareidt

  11. #11
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,541
    What are good Enslaved albums to check out? Not sure I'll dig them but wtf right?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  12. #12
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    What are good Enslaved albums to check out? Not sure I'll dig them but wtf right?
    Below the lights is my favorite.

  13. #13
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    359
    Chalkpie...
    Studio albums
    These are my three favorite older albums.
    Before Mardraum, they are good, but I think they will turn you off.
    They are more proggy and black pagan(or viking tinged metal) on these albums but the production in a bit more muddy.
    Mardraum Beyond the Within (2000)
    Monumension (2001)
    Below the Lights (2003)

    From Isa on, the production is amazing, but a lot less creative...until the "E" album...they got exciting again. Imo
    Isa (2004)
    Ruun (2006)
    Vertebrae (2008)
    Axioma Ethica Odini (2010)
    RIITIIR (2012)
    In Times (2015)
    E (2017)

    Hope that gives you a good idea where yo start?

  14. #14
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I know some folks here might feel this thread is little out of place, but I genuinely enjoy Enslaved's music in a prog sense as much as in a metal sense, and I do feel that they work hard to progress their sound with each new album.

    I was lucky enough to be in Oslo when they premiered their new album - E - at a pre-release gig, and was able to pick up a copy of the album that night before it arrived on shop shelves. It was my first encounter with the band live, but I really enjoyed the set, and the new songs sounded particularly epic and proggy, which should go down well with the Opeth crowd when the two acts tour the UK next month.

    The new album breaks new ground for Enslaved, as the music has all the hallmarks of being influenced by the Skuggsja project collaboration with Einar Selvik of Wardruna, while still being determinedly metal and faithful to Enslaved's established sound.

    If you'd like to read more on my review of the new album, you can find it on my blog here:
    https://momentstransition.wordpress....slaved-e-2017/

    Skol!
    I've seen them twice. I really like them, but I think the harsh vocals will turn a lot of PE people off.
    I kinda wish Grutle would sing clean or do more death growls instead of the black metal vocals. They are getting stale

  15. #15
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,541
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Hope that gives you a good idea where yo start?
    Cheers - looks like I'll give 'E' a spin and see where it lands. I'm not afraid of black metal vocals - I actually dig all types of metal growls, screams, howls, etc
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  16. #16
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Cheers - looks like I'll give 'E' a spin and see where it lands. I'm not afraid of black metal vocals - I actually dig all types of metal growls, screams, howls, etc
    In that case, then start with these three...
    Mardraum Beyond the Within (2000)
    Monumension (2001)
    Below the Lights (2003)

    And here is a great indication of their sound during that period.
    https://youtu.be/LNLUIc57lQQ

  17. #17
    My preferred ones are:

    Hordanes Land
    Vikingligr Veldi
    Frost ----> their best and a black metal masterpiece!
    Eld
    Blodhemn

    Then they went downhill by adding proggy prog elements...
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  18. #18
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    My preferred ones are:

    Hordanes Land
    Vikingligr Veldi
    Frost ----> their best and a black metal masterpiece!
    Eld
    Blodhemn

    Then they went downhill by adding proggy prog elements...
    My first album by them was Below the Lights. I have always been a fan of black metal when it pushes the envelope rather than traditional BM...not that Enslaved were ever "traditional"

  19. #19
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Cheers - looks like I'll give 'E' a spin and see where it lands. I'm not afraid of black metal vocals - I actually dig all types of metal growls, screams, howls, etc
    So, what did you like so far?

  20. #20
    Traversing The Dream 100423's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kansas City Area
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    My preferred ones are:

    Hordanes Land
    Vikingligr Veldi
    Frost ----> their best and a black metal masterpiece!
    Eld
    Blodhemn

    Then they went downhill by adding proggy prog elements...
    I disgree that it was all downhill, I really love a lot of their newer albums, especially Axioma Ethica Odini and 'E' . I do agree that Frost is a top Black Metal album for me, though.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    My preferred ones are:

    Hordanes Land
    Vikingligr Veldi
    Frost ----> their best and a black metal masterpiece!
    Eld
    Blodhemn

    Then they went downhill by adding proggy prog elements...
    Agree on Frost. Such a classic. To the OP, I dig all Enslaved releases although the ones leading up to Ruun are my favorite. Ruun is the moment for me when the band started to expand their songwriting into more progressive realms.

  22. #22
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    359
    I need to add them to my work playlist...luckily I work alone

  23. #23
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,541
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    So, what did you like so far?
    I like Axioma a bunch so far....cool shat. Checked out Riittirr too.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  24. #24
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I like Axioma a bunch so far....cool shat. Checked out Riittirr too.
    Hahaha, I've never had someone reply over a year after. Well, now I can ask, what do you think of the new album?
    Talk to you next year. Hahahaha

  25. #25
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,541
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Hahaha, I've never had someone reply over a year after. Well, now I can ask, what do you think of the new album?
    Talk to you next year. Hahahaha
    Who knows, maybe before next year?

    Good stuff, I've really enjoyed sampling their material from around 2003 onward, plus Frost. This band is Opeth-esque in the fact that they are pretty eclectic and have a very wide range of stuff. I dig it, and the new one is excellent. There is a documentary series on YT with English subtitles that I want to check out.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •