Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abuse of women in music is at 'epidemic' levels

Anthony Bourdain has a few things to say about the meatheads in the restaurant bidness

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...t_culture.html
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It would be interesting - if almost impossible - to find out whether this really has gotten worse in recent years. Or whether we're just seeing women finally speaking out, along with the occasional man. Many of those attitudes have certainly been considered socially unacceptable since the Seventies, and those who held them learned to stay quiet - until recent events (of a sort not mentionable here) emboldened them to speak as crudely as they thought. But has their actual behavior recently gotten worse? Harvey Weinstein has been doing horrifying, despicable, and grotesque things for decades, then buying or intimidating his way out of the consequences; so while the news of that is recent, his behavior certainly isn't. Maybe it goes all the way back to Unintended Consequences of the do-what-you-wanna-do Sixties - whereby the greedy and ambitious realized that what they wanted was wealth and power (and, in some cases, women) without limit, that the New Deal dictum of modest aims and behavior was an old-fashioned convention, and as such it was ripe for throwing out.
    Or does it go even further?

Note that Harvey blames the Sexual Revolution of the Sixties.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 10-26-2017 at 12:36 AM.

I'll also mention R.Kelly. Yet more very disturbing allegations emerging this week. Read up about the music journalist Jim DeRogatis and his dogged coverage of this seemingly never-ending saga.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    It would be interesting - if almost impossible - to find out whether this really has gotten worse in recent years. Or whether we're just seeing women finally speaking out, along with the occasional man.
    I think the general view is that situation is getting better, but part of that process is being more open about what has been happening.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Sheryl Crow sings about Michael Jackson's manager Frank Dileo; "maybe if I'd let him I'd have had a hit song". Dileo threatened to sue but didn't follow through.
    She did it with Kevin Gilbert instead and got a hit album.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I hope you don't leave this forum but the terms and conditions are explicit that there is no politics and no religion.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 10-26-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    She did it with Kevin Gilbert instead and got a hit album.
    There is a huge difference between Dileo's sexual harassment of Crow, and Crow and Gilbert entering a romantic relationship with each other. These things are not alike.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    These are not normal times...
    This sounds like a claim that the rules shouldn't apply to you, because you really really really don't want them to.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    We are, collectively, Bruford.
    Oh, crap. I can't even play an instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Oh, crap. I can't even play an instrument.
    Can you stand to the side and yell "Brooof!!"?

You're in.

This is going to be a touchy subject and I can't spend my life babysitting you all to STFU about politics. It was obvious it was going to go this way.

Anyway, sorry Henry I know you had good intentions, but this is not an issue that's going to be solved by middle-aged white men on a prog forum. And for the most part the discussion in this thread hasn't been enlightening (a few thoughtful posts aside) or heading toward that.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.