Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Gord Downie (Tragically Hip)

RIP Gord Downie (Tragically Hip)

Farewell Gordie baby....

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

RIP
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

A sad day to be Canadian. Gord was the definition of a Canadian and never lost sight of that fact. He was an original and will be missed greatly.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Jon Neudorf
    Another sad, sad day.
    RIP Gord.

the_hip_web.jpg
    The Canadian rock band The Tragically Hip mention Hengelo in their song "At the Hundredth Meridian", where they "remember Hengelo" after a glorious gig in Metropool (concert hall in Hengelo). (from Wiki) This was in 1991 and I was at the concert.
    RIP Gord. It was a memorable evening.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Gord was much more than a musician but he was fine at his craft and engaged a whole country with a Canadian brand of rock and roll. I appreciated his fight for human rights, particularly with aboriginal people in Canada. I was lucky enough to see the Tragically Hip on more than one occasion. I'm really at a loss of words to express my grief and what an enormous contribution Gord made to Canadian culture. He was one of a kind - such an engaging performer but also an amazingly down to earth guy. To tour across Canada last year when he knew he had a terminal illness was extremely brave and Canadians were right behind him.

A whole country is now in mourning. I feel great sadness. Thank you Gord.

Streaming the TP's greatest hits right now. RIP Gord and my condolences to Canada on the loss of a great native son.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Although we equate him with being some kind of Canadian patriot, Gord was at odds with many of the things deemed "Canadian".

He sang about Canada, but disavowed nationalism, his songs exploring heavy topics like David Milgaard's wrongful conviction (Wheat Kings) or Canada's treatment of First Nations (Now the Struggle Has a Name).

Downie spent his final months speaking out in support of Indigenous people, declaring: "Canada is not Canada. We are not the country we think we are."

I had a friend who was really into the Tragically Hip and kept trying to get me into them. I tried an album or two, but it did not really click. Then I happened to catch the band as an opening act for someone else and they blew me away. Gord was an amazing front man. He was totally odd and unique, and I finally got it. I became a fan that night and have been one ever since. He has been terminally ill for a long time, and unfortunately I never got to see the band live again.

I agree Gord Downie was a critic and fought for inequality but people loved Gord and in return:

gord-downie-quotes-5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I agree Gord Downie was a critic and fought for inequality but people loved Gord and in return:

gord-downie-quotes-5.jpg
    That's because in our country you can be at odds with certain aspects of it and still be considered a good Canadian!

Huge, huge, huge fan. He will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    That's because in our country you can be at odds with certain aspects of it and still be considered a good Canadian!
    I've met Europeans who have said Americans are too nationalistic, and for a few years after 9/11 they had a good point. But then I'd point north and say the true nationalistic types are in Canada!

"Gord turned down Rolling Stone magazine when they wanted the Hip on the cover because it wasn't a Canadian magazine."

So very young. Thoughts & prayers to his family. RIP
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I've met Europeans who have said Americans are too nationalistic, and for a few years after 9/11 they had a good point. But then I'd point north and say the true nationalistic types are in Canada!

"Gord turned down Rolling Stone magazine when they wanted the Hip on the cover because it wasn't a Canadian magazine."
    He probably just didn't like Rolling Stone magazine! LOL!

Sad day. Been spinning Hip since I heard this morning. So, SO many great tracks all throughout their catalogue, including many lesser-known album cuts. Gord was one of a kind, and I will miss him greatly.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Their first 4 albums were very solid... They started getting a little patchy after that, imo...

My sentimental favourites are Up To Here and Road Apples.

The two after, Fully Completely and Day For Night are also very good. After that I kind of moved on, though I have heard tracks here and there...

Fully Completely was them at their best IMO, although I never did care much for "Courage". I think "Looking For A Place To Happen" should have been the leadoff track. But overall there was a lot to like on every album they did.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

...this is one of my favourites, and because it was never on an album it is not as well known as it should be. So many memories throughout my life can triggered by the sound of Gord's voice. His impact on my generation (born in the early 70s) is very far-reaching indeed.

In how many countries would the death of a musician bring the leader of that country to tears.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_au...cally-hip-star

For those not from tundra-land, After Gord was diagnosed their final show of their last tour was broadcast live nationally. Many communities had outdoor viewings in parks and city centres with millions of people tuning in. Hadn't seen something like that since the '72 Canada-Russia hockey series.

RIP Gord and thx for all the tunes.

Write a better song than "My Music At Work" or "Ahead By A Century". Go on. Give it a try. I defy you to.

What a tragic loss. Gord was good. Really good.

Rest In Peace!
    The Prog Corner

It's great to see U.S.. perspective on Gord. The Tragically Hip should have been huge in the States but never really made the crossover.