Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Alas - s/t (1976)

FEATURED ALBUM: Alas - s/t (1976)

There was a nice little scene in Argentina in the 70s that gets under-recognized compared to the goings on in Europe and elsewhere. Alas put out 2 albums in the latter half of the 70s and disbanded, but they stand among some of the strongest output from Argentina from that time.

Review from ProgArchives:
    Alas was one of the most amazing prog bands from Argentina, not only in the technical aspect (all three members were proficient performers) but also in the creative aspect - their style is based on a highly rich amalgam of jazz fusion a-la Return to Forever/Weather report, ELP-tinged prog pomposity, tango-based textures and academic flavours, all of them cohesively gathered in a powerful, original sound. Alas was, in many ways, a world of its own in their country's prog arena, yet their sound portrayed a distinct peculiarity that could only be emanated from the very heart of Buenos Aires' Creole folklore.

Their debut album's repertoire consisted of two sidelong suites, both of them bearing a notable predominance of instrumental input. The first one, 'Buenos Aires es Solo Piedra', is the jazziest. The first and antepenultimate motifs sort of operate as the main centers of the whole sequence, providing an air of exuberant mystery for it. The 'Sueño' section is the only sung one, very ethereal indeed: the ethereal stuff is perpetuated in the immediate section, which turns to explore minimalistic places with its musique concrete-inspired tricks. There is another soft section before the arrival of the last one - 'Tanguito' brings some pleasant tango airs, like a dreamy sound that meanders in an unknown place of the listener's subconscious mind.

The second suite is the most bombastic, meaning it is the most akin to progressive rock parameters. 'La Muerte Contó el Dinero' is a showcase for ELP's influence on Alas' style, but of course, Moretto's vision combined with the threesome's particular drive keeps them well away from any cloning temptation. The first section is a sung intro based on a delicate electric piano motif augmented by subtle touches of lead guitar and drum kit's cymbals. The lines are really powerful, as if predicting some sociopolitical disaster (which, sadly, came to be around the middle of that year 1976). Check this: "The sky crack up in crusts of lime / Pieces of the high seas cover the tombs / They sow animal birth pains / Children cry their wintertime hunger" - wow!, I understand Spanish and I can't stop my heart from shivering every time my ears listen to these lyrics in the 'Vidala' section. The three following sections determine the suite's nuclear motifs, and that is when things get electrifyingly ELP-ish, indeed: yet, like I said before, never getting to rip-off land. The organ and the synth paint amazing flourishes and leads all the way, while the rhythm section keeps an inventive pace in a most robust manner. After the first sung section is reprised in 'Vidala Again', a series of eerie sounds emanated from the synth, bass and percussive implements arrives like the birth of something new that gets in the landscape and spreads around. The sound of a storm announces a drum solo: what's the point of a drum solo after such an ethereal passage? Well, this drum solo serves as an anticipation of the final outburst, which is the resumed reprise of sections b, c & f: 'Final' brings an air of conclusive splendour to this suite, in this way providing a coherent closure.

The bonus track comes from a single the band originally released the year before this album. While being less demanding, it is very neat, indeed, offering a candorous sample of jazzy 'joie de vivre'. If only it hadn't been placed after 'La Muerte.' - it somehow kills its climax. Well, if you program your CD player by locating the bonus between the two suites, the experience will be more rewarding. But even if you don't, Alas' debut album is so good that it can only motivate an excellent emotional experience in the listener's soul: "Alas" is a master opus that any decent prog collector should have. - Cesar Inca

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Ah, yes. One of the top-10 progressive albums from Argentina, a country where they were almost as prolific at this as in Italy. Alas, Mia, Bubu, Crucis, El Reloj, Eternidad, Anacrusa, Contraluz, Horizonte, Invisible, Canturbe, Redd, Arco Iris, Ave Rock, La Maquina de Hacer Pajaros... You name 'em.

I particularly love the lightning-sharp, start/stop Piazzolla antics (courtesy keysman/composer Gustavo Moretto), and Binelli's handling of the bandoneon. Alex Zuker's vocals are few and far between, but highly effective and listenable - with a timbre puzzlingly close to that of Mont Campbell's (Egg, NHealth). Of course, by the time Pedro Aznar joined the band later on, Alas would get even more of a virtuoso combo. These were all accomplished and conservatory trained folks, AFAIR.

Great atmosphere to the whole thing as well, especially the part with the trumpet in "Buenos Aires sólo es piedra". I always find it somewhat uncanny to listen to Argentine rock from this era, immediately before the coup and Videla's dirty war - which hit the younger generation pretty hard.

It's also very interesting to hear their precursor acts, Materia Gris and Alma y Vida, in light of what came after. Three complete opposites, yet all so rewarding listens.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Surprisingly, I've either never heard this or I've forgotten I've heard this.

Enjoying it!
    Last edited by Steve F.; 10-18-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Ah, yes. One of the top-10 progressive albums from Argentina, a country where they were almost as prolific at this as in Italy. Alas, Mia, Bubu, Crucis, El Reloj, Eternidad, Anacrusa, Contraluz, Horizonte, Invisible, Canturbe, Redd, Arco Iris, Ave Rock, La Maquina de Hacer Pajaros... You name 'em.

I particularly love the lightning-sharp, start/stop Piazzolla antics (courtesy keysman/composer Gustavo Moretto), and Binelli's handling of the bandoneon. Alex Zuker's vocals are few and far between, but highly effective and listenable - with a timbre puzzlingly close to that of Mont Campbell's (Egg, NHealth). Of course, by the time Pedro Aznar joined the band later on, Alas would get even more of a virtuoso combo. These were all accomplished and conservatory trained folks, AFAIR.

Great atmosphere to the whole thing as well, especially the part with the trumpet in "Buenos Aires sólo es piedra". I always find it somewhat uncanny to listen to Argentine rock from this era, immediately before the coup and Videla's dirty war - which hit the younger generation pretty hard.

It's also very interesting to hear their precursor acts, Materia Gris and Alma y Vida, in light of what came after. Three complete opposites, yet all so rewarding listens.
    Agree w/SS!!
    Good call!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Surprisingly, I've either neither heard this or I've forgotten I've heard this.

Enjoying it!
    Steve,
    "Pinta Tu Aldea (1983) is their second: a good one too and just in case you don´t know it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdnFHvVlAdI

ps.: Pedro Aznar replaced Alex Zucker on bass and guitar.

Finally, from 2013:
    Gustavo Moretto Septet (ALAS) - Pinta Tu Aldea - Live in New York. - Recommended IMO! --
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8ay8YegGDo

Enjoy!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Impressive stuff that deserves a re-spin over here.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I want to give this another spin as well. Have the EMI twofer CD and I recall liking the debut quite a bit better than Pinta Tu Aldea.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I have those bolded out in your list and once owned MIA's Cornonstypicum (or sumthin' like that), but got rid of it (too weenie for me), though I kind of regret it a bit... Aand I also heard Maquina HP and Pabo El Enterador

TBH, I have a pronounced preference to their debut album, as the second is a fairly different beast, loaded with yucky bandoneons
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Pinta tu Aldea, their '83 followup, is a rather strange release. It features one side of keys-based, instrumental "symph" rock somewhat in line with the debut (although a bit less interesting to my ears), whereas the two lengthy pieces on side 2 are strictly composed (and sans drums) tango works in accordance with some of Piazzolla's music (at times even vaguely reminiscent of what Salle Gaveau are doing in their 'zolla-trail). All in all it's solid and worthwhile, but not fully up to the high standards of the first one - IMHO.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

And once again, PE provides me with a band that I've never heard of before........DIGGING the samples !!!

Thx !
    G.A.S -aholic

The debut is a classy Prog album, and a very good start into South American Prog (Argentina and Chile being the strongest countries there).

I also like the more South American sounding second album a lot.

There's of course a third one (of sorts) from 2003 "Mímame Bandoneón", as you can guess by the name this is rather eclectic full blown Tango.
    I like that one very much too, but it might not be for everyone. It also features Tango remakes of some of their Prog epics, and they
    sound great that way.

Funny thing is I have thought for a VERY long time that their name is Alas as in "Alas, poor Yorick!". Somehow it completely escaped my mind that this might be a normal Spanish word, and even the bird-themed album cover did not raise any doubts. It was only when I was discussing the band with a Spanish-languaged fan that I realized that Shakespeare has absolutely nothing to do with Argentinean prog.

The record itself is brilliant, and there's few things in music I dig as much as a Piazzola-informed prog LP. For anyone into this or their second album I'd highly recommend Rodolfo Mederos, in addition to various awesome names mentioned by Richard (Scrotum Scissor) in his first post in this thread.

Greetings,

This is a really great album and definitely one of my absolute favorites from Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    The debut is a classy Prog album, and a very good start into South American Prog (Argentina and Chile being the strongest countries there).

I also like the more South American sounding second album a lot.

There's of course a third one (of sorts) from 2003 "Mímame Bandoneón", as you can guess by the name this is rather eclectic full blown Tango.
    I like that one very much too, but it might not be for everyone. It also features Tango remakes of some of their Prog epics, and they
    sound great that way.
    Believe it or not, I've actually grown to prefer the reinterpretations of the older material on Mimame Bandoneón, but I may also be a little biased as we were fortunate enough to see the band play live (with a different lineup aside from Gustavo and his son Martín) in support of the album before the apparent disbanding of Alas once again. Gustavo has performed with different lineups under his own name since then, by the way, with the music being a bit more on the jazz/tango/porteño side--though I seem to recall at least one or two of the old Alas tunes being covered as well.

On a related note, I tried to book a special Argentinian progressive night at the NJ Proghouse for this past summer with Gustavo's band and Raffo, but it ended up getting canceled due to logistical issues with getting Raffo up here to the USA as originally planned. Was really looking forwards to see what repertoire Gustavo would have performed had the show ended up happening.

Cheers,

Alan

I thought this was an Aerosmith album at first glance
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

in 2003 Alas reunited. I remember getting a bootleg of this concert, back then the sound was average but it was amazing to hear them again. Got the first album a year after it was released, found out about the band because the keyboard player was part of Alma y Vida ... another amazing band from Argentina

Argentina...

1970s...

I like Bubu, Crucis, Lito Vitale, Arco Iris , Mia... but I've never heard this one... sounds interesting from the samples above
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

This thread gave me a great opportunity to revisit both Alas albums over dinner tonight. I was alone, so they got my undivided attention.

I actually played Pinta tu Aldea first. I don't think I ever noticed the last two tracks on this album don't have drums. No matter, this album burns anyway. It reminds me of the Feliu i Joan Albert album that is largely acoustic, but has a very rock intensity to it. Overall, I think I prefer Pinta tu Aldea, but I like both albums a lot. In fact they are far and away my favorites from South America in the 70s. I think these guys were on a totally different plane than their peers musically, instrumentally, and compositionally. I compare them to the better 70s Italian bands, and the best 70s Spanish stuff, like Fusioon and Musica Urbana.

The thing I liked best about spinning the debut tonight was the sense of flow I got from the overall album. The individual tracks bounce around a lot among ideas, and it's sometimes hard to distinguish the individual tracks from one another. But overall, the album almost flows like a continuous piece, even if that wasn't the intent. I hear a pretty strong ELP influence on the debut as well. At times, it's almost like this was the ELP album that wasn't. I'm not sure the vocal sections add much, and it's not surprising to me that Pinta tu Aldea is instrumental. But overall, this is a pretty awesome album with a wide variety of music featured.

I have a two disc compilation that has both these albums, plus two bonus tracks for the debut. It's a great set that I'm happy to have, as I think these albums are really top-notch and deserve wider recognition.

I also have Mimame Bandoneon. I can't say I've ever particularly bonded with this album. To me, they lost the rock intensity on this record and it just sounds like tango music. The versions of the 70s tracks don't add much to the dialog to me, I far prefer the imagination and intensity of the originals. Nice cover, though.

Bill

Intriguing! I had no idea Pedro Aznar was in a prog band! That's way cool; I only knew of his work with Pat Metheny. I'm gonna have to check these out.

It took some time for me to learn an appreciation for this one. Not an immediate one at all. For sure they get points for originality, to say nothing of being a “keyboard trio” that fails to sound anything at all like ELP. I don’t think this is as amazing as many other people make it out to be, but it is good, it’s just a little too inconsistent to be a classic. But I have grown to really like it.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    sound great that way.
    I totally forgot about this one!!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Intriguing! I had no idea Pedro Aznar was in a prog band! That's way cool; I only knew of his work with Pat Metheny. I'm gonna have to check these out.
    Pedro Aznar joins in 1977 and Alas breaks up after recording "Pinta tu aldea", their second work and released only in 1983!.
    (He replaced Alex Zucker on bass and guitar.)

Before Metheny, he formed, in 1978, with Charly García, David Lebón and Oscar Moro, the group (super) Serú Girán which left a legacy of 10 albums, attendance records and an influence that transcends generations.

http://pedroaznar.net/mobile/en/

Pura vida!.
    Last edited by TCC; 10-19-2017 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Pedro Aznar joins in 1977 and Alas breaks up after recording "Pinta tu aldea", their second work and released only in 1983!.

Before Metheny, he formed, in 1978, with Charly García, David Lebón and Oscar Moro, the group (super) Serú Girán which left a legacy of 10 albums, attendance records and an influence that transcends generations.

http://pedroaznar.net/mobile/en/

Pura vida!.
    Thanks for the info! I knew Mr. Aznar had a career beyond just Pat Metheny Group, but never realized just how far -- and had no idea where to try jumping in to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I actually played Pinta tu Aldea first. I don't think I ever noticed the last two tracks on this album don't have drums. No matter, this album burns anyway. It reminds me of the Feliu i Joan Albert album that is largely acoustic, but has a very rock intensity to it.
    I can absolutely hear the Feliu/Joan Albert parallel on side 2 of Pinta, while the side 1 somehow reminds me of a more edgy Refugee.

Couldn't disagree more on Zuker's vocals, though - I think they're wonderfully understated and relieving in the overall context of appearance.

Amazing album that I derive massive enjoyment everytime I am relistening to. Can't stop to highly praise it. A multifaced sound that results into a cohesive musical whole with an atmosphere rarely encountered in latin american bands. I appreciate that this spcific atmosphere is tense and thick throughout the whole recording, it gives the impression of walking through a heavy fog; a superbly spellbingding experience.

I cannot remember much from Pinta tu Aldea, else that it was smoothier and jazzier in comparison to the debut and with a nod to Piazzolla. Will revisit it today.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    of being a “keyboard trio” that fails to sound anything at all like ELP.
    They're not ELP clones, we agree to that, the range of influence is far wider, but to say that they sound nothing at all like ELP is, in my opinion, an overstatement. The interplay between keyboards and drums, and the sound of keyboards (in particular the moog) come directly from Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery. In my opinion of course.

Actually, although ELP isn't among my very few best bands, I think they were the most influential of all in the symphonic genre. I can picture all the Italian and South American keyboard players of the genre sleeping with a photo of Keith under their pillow.
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 10-19-2017 at 08:14 AM.