Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Alas - s/t (1976)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Couldn't disagree more on Zuker's vocals, though - I think they're wonderfully understated and relieving in the overall context of appearance.
    I love this guy's voice! I just love it. Actually the only drawback of the album is that there is so little singing. Not a drawback per se, since it is perfect within the context, but because I so much want to hear some more of this voice.

Actually I like almost all Argentinian vocalists of the era (not that I have heard that many though). The screamers, the sensitive ones, and this fellow here, with the bass voice that arises effortlessly, like speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    They're not ELP clones, we agree to that, the range of influence is far wider, but to say that they sound nothing at all like ELP is, in my opinion, an overstatement. The interplay between keyboards and drums, and the sound of keyboards (in particular the moog) come directly from Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery. In my opinion of course.
    Couldn't have said it better, I agree totally. I was struck lat night by certain sections that were so obviously ELP inspired, but that overall the album doesn't come off like ELP. Alas takes that ELP-ish approach and melds it with other elements to make something new, but still familiar enough to ELP fans.

I love this guy's voice! I just love it. Actually the only drawback of the album is that there is so little singing. Not a drawback per se, since it is perfect within the context, but because I so much want to hear some more of this voice.
    He has a good voice, no question on that. I guess my comment about the vocals seeming superfluous relates to what you are saying, that there are so few of them. In a sense, I agree with what SS says, they do serve as a bit of respite, though there are so many different moods on this album I'm not sure what one needs respite from. But as an additional color on an otherwise very colorful album, the vocals are fine. I just wouldn't miss them if they weren't there - mostly because they have such a small presence.

I'm strongly tempted to spin these albums again tonight, or very soon. There's a lot to digest with both of these, and revisiting them has reawakened my interest in them substantially. Thank you PE Featured Albums!

Bill

I can picture all the Italian and South American keyboard players of the genre sleeping with a photo of Keith under their pillow.
    For most cases concerning the sympho scenes of these countries, this is an undeniable truth.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    For most cases concerning the sympho scenes of these countries, this is an undeniable truth.
    Yes, to a certain extent - but on the other hand, even many "symph" progressive bands of the South-Americas were heavily guitar-oriented; Espiritu, Ave Rock, Crucis, O Terco, Banana, Veludo, Recordando and so on. Even a major act like Mutantes, when they went full-on "prog", still centered their songwriting around the guitars; there's some awesome organ and mini-moog work on 'A' e o 'Z' and Tudo Foi Feito, but there's always the ubuquitous six-string attack underneath.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yes, to a certain extent - but on the other hand, even many "symph" progressive bands of the South-Americas were heavily guitar-oriented; Espiritu, Ave Rock, Crucis, O Terco, Banana, Veludo, Recordando and so on. Even a major act like Mutantes, when they went full-on "prog", still centered their songwriting around the guitars; there's some awesome organ and mini-moog work on 'A' e o 'Z' and Tudo Foi Feito, but there's always the ubuquitous six-string attack underneath.
    Of course, SS. Those were gauchos armed with guitars, who despised keyboard players, considered them traitors to the Prog and hated Keith Emerson to death.

If you don't mind me asking, where should I start with O Terco? I am a little bit confused.

where should I start with O Terco? I am a little bit confused.
    Ach. As with their countrymen Casa das Maquinas, O Terco were a highly uneven act. And especially in terms of "prog". But Criaturas da Noite is not a bad album. There are some good tunes, a bit of rock'n'roll, some folky pop and picturesque 'tron landscapes in a couple of instrumentals. Still, their 'Bad Company-meets-PFloyd-through-CSN' doesn't sit too well with everyone. And steer away from their (attemptive) English-language recordings.

Anyone wanting for some great Brazilian 70s "symph" would fare better with the Mutantes titles I mentioned, or Som Imaginario's fabulous Matanco do Porco, or Terreno Baldio or Som Nosso de Cada Dia.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    He has a good voice, no question on that. I guess my comment about the vocals seeming superfluous relates to what you are saying, that there are so few of them.
    Bill
    I'm notorious for my criticism of bad vocalists and lyricists who overwrite and smother the otherwise great music
    but this guy has a pleasant voice and knows the value of "less is more"
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

If you don't mind me asking, where should I start with O Terco? I am a little bit confused.
    I only like Casa Encantada from them...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Anyone wanting for some great Brazilian 70s "symph" would fare better with the Mutantes titles I mentioned, or Som Imaginario's fabulous Matanco do Porco, or Terreno Baldio or Som Nosso de Cada Dia.
    Thanks. I have been following the Brazilian thread and I am familiar now with all these excellent records you are referring to.

I only like Casa Encantada from them...
    Thanks Spyros.

Thanks for this thread. Never heard of this band at all, but I love it!

I appreciate that this spcific atmosphere is tense and thick throughout the whole recording, it gives the impression of walking through a heavy fog; a superbly spellbinding experience.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    Never heard of this band at all, but I love it!
    Brian, with your Canterbury-affections I would've been surprised if you didn't. While I don't find it particularly likely how Alas might have been directly informed by anything Canterburian (I suspect there wasn't much stuff of that ilk to be found in stores or heard on radio in the South-Americas at the time), they very obviously shared some influences from modern jazz, impressionist composers et al. The only other noteworthy 'Latino-prog' band to display any similarity to vague Canterburiantics were the above mentioned Brazilians in Som Imaginario, or arguably the very fine albums by Armando Tirelli (El Profeta) in Uruguay and Tempano (Atabal-Yemal) in Venezuela.

All in all there are lots of goodies to be had from this part of the world as well.

Brian, with your Canterbury-affections I would've been surprised if you didn't. While I don't find it particularly likely how Alas might have been directly informed by anything Canterburian (I suspect there wasn't much stuff of that ilk to be found in stores or heard on radio in the South-Americas at the time), they very obviously shared some influences from modern jazz, impressionist composers et al. The only other noteworthy 'Latino-prog' band to display any similarity to vague Canterburiantics were the above mentioned Brazilians in Som Imaginario, or arguably the very fine albums by Armando Tirelli (El Profeta) in Uruguay and Tempano (Atabal-Yemal) in Venezuela.

All in all there are lots of goodies to be had from this part of the world as well.
    Thanks, I think you're right on the money. This Alas album (all I've heard by then) has a distinctive playfulness that bridges the divide between ELP & Hatfield (in a totally different way than, say, Egg). Improbably, the band that kept springing to mind while listening was The Muffins (themselves a "second-generation" distillation!). I do love the "telephone game" effect of musical influence: By the time you join the dots of who/when/where was influenced by whom/when/where, you end up with something totally unique & often exciting.

And thanks for the other recommendation!

-B

PS- I kept wanting to hear Phil Miller's guitar chime in on top of some of the Alas passages. Wishful thinking! (Thanks for the music, Phil)

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    the band that kept springing to mind while listening was The Muffins (themselves a "second-generation" distillation!).
    Oh, most definitely! The Muffins, and especially on Chronometers, often sound like a somewhat rougher take on some of the very same influences. Great Call, that one.

Latin America was fertile land back then, far from typical influences they managed to create their own sound and style.

Love all 3 albums, but their 3rd, is my favorite, i love those songs played in tango/jazz, but I love jazz, so I get it when some people disagree.

There are so many albums that went under the radar and still do, someone mentioned Tempano, the new album is amazing, again people are not paying attention, going under the radar.. guys you are missing out this release.

Latin America is fertile land nowadays too.

Quote Originally Posted by begnagrad View Post

Not if you let Monsanto have its way!! (Argentina is its hostage)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

More people need to hear Nuevo Tango by La Vuelta, a superb tango-jazz album produced by Lito Vitale and containing an excellent version of Piazzolla’s classic “Libertango.” There’s a second La Vuelta album, but I have not heard it.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    More people need to hear Nuevo Tango by La Vuelta, a superb tango-jazz album produced by Lito Vitale and containing an excellent version of Piazzolla’s classic “Libertango.” There’s a second La Vuelta album, but I have not heard it.
    Thanks for the H.U.¨Progbear!.
    I can´t find any video (YT) or info, can you help me please?.

Gracias!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Love all 3 albums, but their 3rd, is my favorite, i love those songs played in tango/jazz, but I love jazz, so I get it when some people disagree.
    The same here!.
    "Mírame Bandoneón" is a great album: definitely, the original versions recorded for this album with a little bit more touch of tango and jazz, are very well achieved and I enjoy them a lot.

For example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3jd...aqU481&index=5

Latin America was fertile land back then, far from typical influences they managed to create their own sound and style.
    There are so many albums that went under the radar and still do, someone mentioned Tempano, the new album is amazing, again people are not paying attention, going under the radar.. guys you are missing out this release.
    Agree 100%:
    Today as before, América Latina is a "hotbed" of great groups and/or soloists thanks to the active musical scenes of Chile, Argentina, Brasil and México for example.

Finally, I want to share this short video, without sound, of a presentation of Alas with a very young Pedro Aznar!!.

DiFilm - Promo grupo de jazz-rock "Alas" en television 1978.

Cambio y fuera!.
    Last edited by TCC; 10-22-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Steve,
    "Pinta Tu Aldea (1983) is their second: a good one too and just in case you don´t know it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdnFHvVlAdI

ps.: Pedro Aznar replaced Alex Zucker on bass and guitar.

Whoa ! Thanks for the rec. The bass solo at the 18 min. mark is just ridiculous ! .

I have the EMI 2CD of Alas/Pinta Tu Aldea. I need to spin that again. Great band.

Love this album!