Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shadow Circus

Shadow Circus

This morning I was looking (and listening) back over some of the amazing bands that I was honored to call label mates via 10T Records...A tremendous array of talent there, and one in particular really caught my attention again today... ON A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT by Shadow Circus is, in my opinion, a truly beautiful and majestic album. I had honestly forgotten how much I enjoyed it upon its release, and was thrilled to immerse myself once again in its auditory cocoon. Any other fans out there?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Sampling their wares on iTunes now. Yes, very nice stuff! Also this album features a track called “Whosit, Whatsit and Which” which I recognize from one of my favorite books growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Sampling their wares on iTunes now. Yes, very nice stuff! Also this album features a track called “Whosit, Whatsit and Which” which I recognize from one of my favorite books growing up.
    I loved that book as well! It seems the entire album was inspired by it.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

In total agreement about "Dark and Stormy Night". A great album. Any news on the band? Will there be another album? I hope so.

Yeah, we liked it too. Glad we got to see them a few times.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I just ordered a used-like new copy from Amazon based on this thread and reviews on Progarchives - sounds like I'll like it. Only $11 bucks with postage, but some dillhole is selling a new copy for $36.89 as well. What the hell?

A Wrinkle in Time is one of those books I've always meant to read but never have. Maybe I'll read it to my son.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    A Wrinkle in Time is one of those books I've always meant to read but never have. Maybe I'll read it to my son.
    IMO it's a classic, Jed. I'm currently reading The Hobbit to my soon-to-be 11 year old daughter. Love reading great books to my kids!

And to the OP, thanks for the mention of the album. Shadow Circus is one of the many bands I'm familiar with by name only. I'll have to check out this album, especially knowing it's lyrical references.

^ I always assumed the book is all it's cracked up to be. I haven't read any L'Engle, but I've seen the TV movie of The Lathe of Heaven a few times and it's always blown my mind.

I've got a couple CD's from them, good stuff, need to dig them out and load them onto the computer again.

^ I always assumed the book is all it's cracked up to be. I haven't read any L'Engle, but I've seen the TV movie of The Lathe of Heaven a few times and it's always blown my mind.
    I might be mistaken, but I think THE LATHE OF HEAVEN was by Ursula K. LeGuin...Another amazing author, by the way.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    I might be mistaken, but I think THE LATHE OF HEAVEN was by Ursula K. LeGuin...Another amazing author, by the way.
    Dang, you're correct! Oops... I'll get me coat.

I saw them open for The Watch in 2010, at the North Star Bar. Sadly the North Star is closed, and I guess the band is no more.
    Last edited by fiberman; 10-17-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Dang, you're correct! Oops... I'll get me coat.
    Haha. No worries...You had me second guessing myself! Anyway, I have heard recently that there is a movie coming out based on A Wrinkle in Time...Someone said the trailer looked good. I'll check it out either way. Hope it lives up to its potential, like the album did!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I guess the band is no more, as I just found out Rock Bottom Brewery has closed too.
    Actually, I talked to John Fontana, the guitarist from Shadow Circus just now, and they are currently working on a new album, so stay chooned. Or tuned, whichever you prefer.

Personally, I like "Whispers and Screams" the best, and awesome thematic album, reminds me a lot of Procol Harum in some ways.

Ditto. I was going to say they are laying low and sort of reinventing themselves methinks. We shall see. It does seem that only the core duo of John and Dave will be back on the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Actually, I talked to John Fontana, the guitarist from Shadow Circus just now, and they are currently working on a new album, so stay chooned. Or tuned, whichever you prefer.

Personally, I like "Whispers and Screams" the best, and awesome thematic album, reminds me a lot of Procol Harum in some ways.
    Excellent news. Thanks for letting us know!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Ditto. I was going to say they are laying low and sort of reinventing themselves methinks. We shall see. It does seem that only the core duo of John and Dave will be back on the next one.
    Hey Robert! Nice to have another of the aforementioned super-talented label mates chime in!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

I thought this was gonna be a thread about the NFL thread in WOT.

Haha. No worries...You had me second guessing myself! Anyway, I have heard recently that there is a movie coming out based on A Wrinkle in Time...Someone said the trailer looked good. I'll check it out either way. Hope it lives up to its potential, like the album did!
    I saw that. I went ahead and ordered the book. I want to read it to my son (and myself ) before we have the experience spoiled by the movie (which can happen even if the movie is good).

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Love reading great books to my kids!
    I read almost all the Harry Potter books to my older son. Maybe all of them. A bit of a slog - I'm not the biggest HP fan, and IMO they aren't the best books to read aloud as IMO the writing is a bit clunky. But, he loved them, and it was great father-son time. My wife made a few guest reading appearances too.

I prefer reading Dr. Seuss - now that's fun to read aloud!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I saw them live and picked up an album a few years back...May have to revisit, I remember digging them.

Hey Robert! Nice to have another of the aforementioned super-talented label mates chime in!
    That's right....well former label mates

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    That's right....well former label mates
    Well, my first thought when I read the first post was: What's going on with 10T Records? But I guess that should be discussed in another thread.

Saw Shadow Circus at ProgDay a few years back, if I remember correctly. Liked them a lot. They had some Twilight Zone influence. I think one of their numbers was "Next Stop Willoughby."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post

Well, my first thought when I read the first post was: What's going on with 10T Records? But I guess that should be discussed in another thread.
    But what IS going on with 10T records? Because of this thread I went to Shadow Circus' web site, and there I clicked on the link for the store, which I see is supposed to go to 10T's store, but the site seems to be defunct. Is that just basically it? 10T is defunct?