Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Zappa - Läther

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Well I've moved on to the Hammersmith '78 set. Just got this the other day. Great concert opening with The Purple Lagoon, and FZ insulting the tepid London audience. The jazzy improv on the first section of Little House is the highpoint for me so far.
    I just got this set for Christmas. I love it! This is one of my favorite FZ bands, and this is a set with some great moments, like the Little House. There is a great Pound for a Brown, an amazing Flakes with a great Belew solo section instead of the "I'm a moron "rant (which I love too, but this section has a power unheard elsewhere), a killer Punky's Whips, Dong Work for Yuda, Envelopes w/vocals, and just lots of energy from a great band. Also another version fo the early Watermelon arrangement. And I gotta say, this version kills. IT's not the stunning version we know and love, but an uncertain and great, short diddy. FZ plays a great solo, and its as if his guitar is crying. Beautiful stuff.
    My only gripe of this set is, if this is a 'typical set list' document, there is no Yo Mama!! I would love to hear another officially released Mama! Everyone on this tour was monstrous (from what I have heard anyway)
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

We have to blame the London audience for that. FZ asked if they wanted to hear some new material or old songs. The crowd wanted the old "favorites", so we get Dinah Moe Hum, and Camarillo Brillo.

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    It was a singles bar, a Tuesday night
    The moon was dim, the band was tight
    They did the Bump together....
    Her favourite group was Helen Reddy.

(That still cracks me up every time I hear it. But see, for me, it's the subtle stuff that amuses me, not the juvenile over-the-top stuff. I guess I'm officially an Old Fart now.)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Her favourite group was Helen Reddy.

(That still cracks me up every time I hear it. But see, for me, it's the subtle stuff that amuses me, not the juvenile over-the-top stuff. I guess I'm officially an Old Fart now.)
    I like the live version from several years later, where Frank uses that song as a sort of an audience participation thing. They get to that line, and the band stops and the audience sings out "HELEN REDDY!" and Frank says "No, it was Twisted Sister!", then tells the band to go back to the top of the verse so that the audience can sing the correct line.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I like the live version from several years later, where Frank uses that song as a sort of an audience participation thing. They get to that line, and the band stops and the audience sings out "HELEN REDDY!" and Frank says "No, it was Twisted Sister!", then tells the band to go back to the top of the verse so that the audience can sing the correct line.
    There's also the variation where "Her favorite group was Echo...and the Bunnymen!"

Rare '78 band video of Deathless Horsie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    There's also the variation where "Her favorite group was Echo...and the Bunnymen!"
    Never heard that one. Which album is it on?

I'm sorry to go off thread ...but it's my birthday and I want to have fun! Zappa's sarcastic voice which is often repeated throughout his catalog has always been way reminiscent of Johnny Carson. And forgive me ...I don't recall the character Carson was doing live on his show. He would say ..."May the fleas of a thousand camel's invest your mother's armpits."...If you compare it to some of Zappa's lines, the voice and tone is exacting. Very evident throughout Joe's Garage and especially on Catholic Girls. It's so obvious...yet I have never read anything about a connection between the 2..but perhaps it's old news?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Never heard that one. Which album is it on?
    Hmm, "Echo & the Bunnymen" may not be on any released version, but it was said at some '84 shows, including the one I saw.

Home from work on a chilly February day. Just brewed a pot of coffee and now it's time for You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 2: The Helsinki Concert. Love this album.

BTW, I was asking for opinions on Guitar earlier in the thread: I've now added it to my amazon pre-order of the new Steven Wilson blu-ray, so I'll dig in to that next week sometime. Looking forward to it - It's always a good day when I can add another title to my Zappa collection.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    BTW, I was asking for opinions on Guitar earlier in the thread: I've now added it to my amazon pre-order of the new Steven Wilson blu-ray, so I'll dig in to that next week sometime. Looking forward to it - It's always a good day when I can add another title to my Zappa collection.
    If you have the Shut Up.. series you need not look any further. IMO, the rhythm section on Guitar doesn't live up to the standard set by Vinnie and Arthur.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    If you have the Shut Up.. series you need not look any further. IMO, the rhythm section on Guitar doesn't live up to the standard set by Vinnie and Arthur.
    Once again, I beg to differ. Shut Up is a nice representation of Frank's late 70's style guitar playing, but he went off in a different direction once he got that Strat copy with the Floyd Rose and the on-board EQ system, and that's what you get on Guitar. And Frank's own assertion that Vinnie was the best drummer he played with aside, I think Chad and Scott do a great job on Guitar.

Listening to Guitar tonight for the first time (I've just popped in disc 2). Great stuff, as I should have known it would be. I was afraid a 2-disc set of nothing but solos would be tiresome but it's not. As for the rhythm section, I think they sound great! A worthy addition to my ever-expanding Zappa shelf.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Listening to Guitar tonight for the first time (I've just popped in disc 2). Great stuff, as I should have known it would be. I was afraid a 2-disc set of nothing but solos would be tiresome but it's not. As for the rhythm section, I think they sound great! A worthy addition to my ever-expanding Zappa shelf.
    I bought(regretfully)this on a cassette back in the 80's when I was unsatisfied with the way US records were being pressed and before I got a cd player. The problem is,this tape is a double-length affair that is hard to operate without drag or squealing. I loved it when it was working though. We used to say that "Frank was really the only guitar player who could play "bottomless solos" without being boring." He just reels me in and I don't want to leave you know? Shut Up 'N Play Your Guitar is a winner too,but I bought the 3 LP Box Set for that one. I have not listened to that album in more than 25 years.