Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bands Featured in Commercials

Oh, you beat me to it, i have the 45 for this around the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

IIRC it was in the box set that I have.

Here's one that should have been -

Last edited by progholio; 10-13-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Wasn't there a Dunkin' Donuts ad with Ace Frehley in it? It hinged on the idea of Ace delivering some sort of corporate report before a board of directors meeting, or something like that. All I remember is one of the directors says something like, "But Ace, what about the fiscal projections", and Ace says, "I'll give you fiscal projections!", and activates the catherine wheel mechanism on the headstock of his Les Paul and launches into a solo.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Kiss = Corporate shills.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Kiss = Corporate shills.
    (Worf mode) BE QUIET!!!!!!!!! (Worf mode off)

Sorry it had be said.

Hawkwind (Masters of the Universe) in a Ford commercial

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Wasn't there a Dunkin' Donuts ad with Ace Frehley in it? It hinged on the idea of Ace delivering some sort of corporate report before a board of directors meeting, or something like that. All I remember is one of the directors says something like, "But Ace, what about the fiscal projections", and Ace says, "I'll give you fiscal projections!", and activates the catherine wheel mechanism on the headstock of his Les Paul and launches into a solo.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Kiss = Corporate shills.
    They'll be the first to gladly admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I remember the Yardbirds did a commercial for a product called Great Shakes (it was awful; the commercial and the milkshake).
    I remember that because they were my favorite band at the time. I think it was to the tune of Over, Under, Sideways, Down. They also did one for MacLean's "the toothpaste that cleans" that I think had the "Happenings" riff behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

THanks! I knew you'd have that link handy! I like that the voice over identifies Ace as "Kiss guitarist" as opposed to "former Kiss guitarist" or whatever, as I'm pretty sure that was well after the point where he'd been kicked out of the band the last time. I wonder if he had to pay Gene and Paul to be allowed to use the make up and costume in that advert.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
    I remember that because they were my favorite band at the time. I think it was to the tune of Over, Under, Sideways, Down. They also did one for MacLean's "the toothpaste that cleans" that I think had the "Happenings" riff behind it.
    Went to YouTube and there are the Yardbirds' Great Shakes and MacLean's toothpaste ads. Under "Great Shakes" there's a "making of" the commercial by Spencer Davis. Don't think I ever heard their ad for those awful shakes back when I was a yout.

Not a product ad, but Sha Na Na did a wonderful anti–hard drug radio commercial back on the mid-70s. Found it on YouTube and laughed all over again.

Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    THanks! I knew you'd have that link handy! I like that the voice over identifies Ace as "Kiss guitarist" as opposed to "former Kiss guitarist" or whatever, as I'm pretty sure that was well after the point where he'd been kicked out of the band the last time. I wonder if he had to pay Gene and Paul to be allowed to use the make up and costume in that advert.
    Funny part about that commercial is the backstory on the costume. This commercial was done in 2007. KISS was on hiatus from touring/recording as Gene was doing Family Jewels and Paul released a solo album and tour. Dunkin Donuts came to Ace for the commercial. Ace recalled he had a costume at his house from the Farewell Tour. He located the costume in his garage; stuffed into a bag. The reason Ace is not wearing armbands for his costume is that the armbands had been chewed by a rodent. My good friend (who is one of Ace's best friends) sent me pics from Ace's house when they located the costume. I was going through the roof when he sent pics of the costume -- they just stretched out the costume on the dirt next to the garage to take a pic of it. Ugh! I will try to locate those pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Funny part about that commercial is the backstory on the costume. This commercial was done in 2007. KISS was on hiatus from touring/recording as Gene was doing Family Jewels and Paul released a solo album and tour. Dunkin Donuts came to Ace for the commercial. Ace recalled he had a costume at his house from the Farewell Tour. He located the costume in his garage; stuffed into a bag. The reason Ace is not wearing armbands for his costume is that the armbands had been chewed by a rodent. My good friend (who is one of Ace's best friends) sent me pics from Ace's house when they located the costume. I was going through the roof when he sent pics of the costume -- they just stretched out the costume on the dirt next to the garage to take a pic of it. Ugh! I will try to locate those pics.
    Ya know, I thought something didn't look right about that outfit, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I just love that shot of the sparks flying across the conference table, and the corporate types are just sort of sitting there, apparently oblivious, like this was how Ace always delivers his P&E reports (whatever a P&E report is).

Michelob ruined Genesis! Sister ad to the Genesis one:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Starbucks Doubleshot is promoted in a 2004 commercial featuring Survivor and an ambitious office worker, Glen. Glen is followed throughout his day by Survivor as they sing a spoof of their lyrics for “Eye of the Tiger”. This always makes me chuckle:

"Middle management is right in his grasp
    It’s a dream he will never let die
    Glen’s the man of the hour
    He’s the king of his cube
    Status quo reports have
    finally met their rival
    Burning the candle at both ends
    on his way to the top
    He knows one day he just could become
    Supervisor!"
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 10-20-2017 at 02:23 PM.

There's Europe in a recent commercial, playing that one hit of which they're a wonder....The Final Countdown.

Last edited by progmatist; 10-24-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

A good one:

Did this ad kill Nick Drake’s hipster cred?

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Another very good one from Nike for the World Cup 2010.
    You will recognize the music starting at 0:45. BTW this commercial was done by the Mexican film director Gonzalez Iñarritu (Birdman, the Ravenant):

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    There's Europe in a recent commercial, playing that one hit of which they're a wonder....The Final Countdown.

Around the time of that ad, there was a pickup truck ad using Eminence Front by The Who. I remember asking on Facebook, "Why is it that the pickup ad with Eminence Front bugs the hell otu of me, but I'm ok with the Europe ad?"

Oh, Europe had three hits: The Final Countdown, Carrie, and Rock The Night. In fact, Carrie was their highest charting single! There is absolutely no reason for me to know that information

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    They are in the JA box set The Jefferson Airplane Loves You-along with a song Grace did with Zappa...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

not in the ad, but here's an ad using hawkwind's music
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"