Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AAJ Review: King Crimson, Official Bootleg: Live in Chicago, June 28, 2017

I wouldn't go as far as you, Crimson King, on not caring too much for Orpheum, Toronto, and Radical Action, but I agree that this blows the other stuff away in a way that I can't quite put my finger on.

I guess the tracklist is more my taste (Heresy, I know, but In the Court of the Crimson King is my least favorite of the 70s Crimson albums these days, so I don't exactly miss Epitaph or In the Court...).

But its more than the tracklist. Everything this lineup has touched has had an awesome tracklist--even the Orpheum, which is in retrospect is this band's Earthbound.

I really like that Radical Action pulled every song from their repertoire at the time, but I find its sequencing a tad strange.

Toronto is the only full show release that can be an apples to apples comparison. (I don't have the live experience to compare. I generally follow Gertrude Stein's advice to Hemingway on buying art when I decide what concerts to go to: Only buy art from artists of your generation. You overpay buying from an older artist).

I listened to most of Toronto to check if I am imagining this difference. I still like Chicago better, but I like Toronto more than I remember.

Maybe Chicago is just a damn good show. Maybe the artwork is better. Maybe "Islands" and "Fallen Angel" are two of my 5 top Crimson tracks.

Somehow Chicago is better.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post

Somehow Chicago is better.
    It is. It's quite possibly one of the greatest live releases in the KC canon.

Could it be the addition of Stacey, freeing Rieflin up for keys, giving the band the opportunity for two (even three) keyboard moments? The fuller sound definitely makes a difference for me.

But I was also at the Chicago show, so I guess my objectivity might be a little clouded.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The 8-piece incarnation of KC that played Chicago is King Crimson 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    It is. It's quite possibly one of the greatest live releases in the KC canon.

Could it be the addition of Stacey, freeing Rieflin up for keys, giving the band the opportunity for two (even three) keyboard moments? The fuller sound definitely makes a difference for me.

But I was also at the Chicago show, so I guess my objectivity might be a little clouded.
    sweet.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    The 8-piece incarnation of KC that played Chicago is King Crimson 3D.
    That's why everyone in the audience is wearing those funny glasses.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Can anyone compare sound quality (the mix & the mastering) between Chicago, Radical Action & Toronto? On "that other music forum," I've read grumblings about the mix on Chicago vs the other two. I'm still weighing my options on which new KC album to get (but it'll probably be just one album, not all three).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    Can anyone compare sound quality (the mix & the mastering) between Chicago, Radical Action & Toronto? On "that other music forum," I've read grumblings about the mix on Chicago vs the other two. I'm still weighing my options on which new KC album to get (but it'll probably be just one album, not all three).

Thanks
    I think all three sound good.

I’d choose based off of the performance/music...not minor differences in sound quality. And for me Chicago is easily the winner.

But Radical Action is also worth buying for the video.

All of the positive reviews and praise here have loosened my purse strings. Ordered today!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

How does the Live in Vienna compare to Chicago? Anyone listen to that one yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    How does the Live in Vienna compare to Chicago? Anyone listen to that one yet?
    It’s quite good, although I prefer Chicago.

If I was to rank the live releases so far:

Chicago
    Vienna
    Toronto
    Radical action
    Orpheum

Vienna has the best released takes from the 2014-present band of indiscipline, epitaph, and court that are out there so far as well as schizoid with an excellent laser beam Fripp solo and another killer version of easy money. Starless really cooks as well with Tony using some excellent distortion in the second half of it.

Sound quality is excellent - on par with Chicago and Toronto which both capture the band in full flight and really do a good job of conveying what 8 men including 3 drummers produce on stage in this band. To my ears, the mixing on orpheum is bad and the recording itself is low volume, while radical action, while cool that it has a video portion, can feel a bit sterile when listening to audio only. Still has some killer performances, but leaves something to be desired.

Thanks. I have Toronto and wonder if another is needed. If I do get one, it will either be Chicago or Vienna.

Thanks. I have Toronto and wonder if another is needed. If I do get one, it will either be Chicago or Vienna.
    The answer: yes, if only because there's so much repertoire not on earlier live releases. I've not heard Vienna yet, but recommend Chicago without hesitation. Aside from being with the eight-piece band, the material from Lizard and Islands, previously undocumented live, are worth the price of admission.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Get both, but get Chicago first. They are both excellent releases in their own right with killer performances across the board. If anything, listening to the releases chronologically with the orpheum first and ending with Chicago, you would hear what starts as an excellent band continually getting better and better at this expanding repertoire as time goes on!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    I didn’t care too much for the previous releases from this incarnation of the band - Orpheum, Toronto, and Radical Action. But Chicago really is excellent. It blows away the previous releases. I wonder why that is..
    For me it's threefold: 1) Stacey is an upgrade on drummer. 2) Having a full time keyboardist/8 players creates wonderful textures/layers of sound. 3) All that time marinating with each other has made them beyond tight musically.

I've very interested to hear Vienna as it's going backwards chronologically and I wonder if it will be a bit of a letdown after Chicago. Still hoping for a Radical Action type set for the 8 piece band.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.