Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Roine Stolt - Wall Street Voodoo

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Exactly right. I don't want to start an uproar (just personal taste), but I like Wallstreet VooDoo more than any of his FK albums. I was really disappointed he didn't tour the album.
    I'd like to see that tour as well. Maybe he'll do a WSV Volume 2 someday.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I wouldn't call this "blues".

That was great. Roine had a really creative stretch from 1994-2006.

I really like Hydrophonia... but then, that's instrumental
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

From the samples I get the feel that it is wallpaper bluesy music for your generic rock bar next corner...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    From the samples I get the feel that it is wallpaper bluesy music for your generic rock bar next corner...
    Hmmm maybe give it another try ? :s
    My experience was that it took me a while to really grasp what this album is all about and finally hear all the detail... but then again it might just not strike your fancy...

Love this album for the most part, but haven't listened to it in quite a while. The variety of guitar tones is awesome and most of the tunes work really well. I love blues, but this really isn't a blues album. Certainly far more blues based than anything else he's done though.

My only issue is that, while I really like the lyrical content, it often feels too wordy, like he write them completely separate from the music and then just kind of bolted them on. The phrasing can be really awkward as a result, IMO.

Still, a good album. Personally, Hydrophonia is kind of boring to me in comparison, even if it is more his typical prog style. It has its moments though.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

I think "Remember" is one of Roine's best songs. The rest of the album is pretty great too. It's NOT a blues album although there are bluesy elements present.

All three of Stolt's "modern" solo LP's are terrific.
    The Prog Corner

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I agree that's it's not bluesy. Wasn't this released after Roine had been saying he was planning more of an acoustic FK album? I assumed whatever he'd planned for that he channeled into this solo album, since the acoustic-ish album never happened. But this album isn't acoustic, it's just slightly more rock based than surrounding FK albums. I like it. Also, now listening to Remember - it's great! There's also that Joni Mitchell cover on the album.

Man, I haven't listened to this in years. Possibly close to 10 years now. I need to dust it off and give it another spin, as I remember enjoying it at the time. Different from TFK, but hey it's Roine so there's still plenty to enjoy here (if you like his style).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I agree that's it's not bluesy. Wasn't this released after Roine had been saying he was planning more of an acoustic FK album? I assumed whatever he'd planned for that he channeled into this solo album, since the acoustic-ish album never happened. But this album isn't acoustic, it's just slightly more rock based than surrounding FK albums. I like it. Also, now listening to Remember - it's great! There's also that Joni Mitchell cover on the album.
    Which makes sense given Stolt's love for Joni's music.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    His 'acoustic' album morphed into the first Agents of mercy album.