Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Popol Vuh

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    mmm.. I see that the SPV edition of In Den Gärten Pharaos has two 10 minute tracks
    Anyone heard these ?
    Are these from the same sessions of the album ?
    According to this site, the bonus track on Affenstunde (“Train Through Time”) is from the Messa di Orfeo (1999) sessions. The bonus tracks on In den Gärten Pharaos (“Kha-White Structures I & II”) are of indeterminate provenance, although someone on the internet has speculated that they may actually be from around 1970/71. The tracks can be found on YT.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    According to this site, the bonus track on Affenstunde (“Train Through Time”) is from the Messa di Orfeo (1999) sessions. The bonus tracks on In den Gärten Pharaos (“Kha-White Structures I & II”) are of indeterminate provenance, although someone on the internet has speculated that they may actually be from around 1970/71. The tracks can be found on YT.
    I just listened to them on YT. They certainly *sound* contemporaneous with the album and with early '70s PV in general. But I guess they could have been recorded later with that effect in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I just listened to them on YT. They certainly *sound* contemporaneous with the album and with early '70s PV in general. But I guess they could have been recorded later with that effect in mind.
    Yeah, it's hard to tell. "Train Through Time" actually reminds me of early (proper) Simple Minds.

SPV did a good job with the reissues, but unfortunately the CD booklets only contain generic, biographical information.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Still no official release of “Bettina,” Florian’s Moog synthesizer improvisation for German TV?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Some exciting news:

Groundbreaking German Krautrock band Popol Vuh are to be celebrated with the release of a 6-LP, high-quality collector’s box on BMG. The Essential Album Collection Vol. 1 will be released for the first time, containing all five groundbreaking albums, which have been remastered as audiophile 180g vinyl pressings, including original tracklistings and bonus tracks.

At the same time, the band's most important works; Affenstunde, Hosianna Mantra, Einsjäger & Siebenjäger, Aguirre and Nosferatu will be available as high-quality CD digipacks. The CD digipaks have been remastered by Popol Vuh’s members Guido Hieronymus and Frank Fiedler. All albums come with detailed booklets, including exclusive photos and liner notes by Klaus Schulze, Werner Herzog, Gerd Augustin, Manfred Gillig-Degrave and Michael Fuchs-Gamböck. Remastered by former Popol Vuh member Guido Hieronymus and Frank Fiedler.

The Vinyl box is up for pre-order on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-C.../dp/B07PK6MXD1

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Some exciting news:

Groundbreaking German Krautrock band Popol Vuh are to be celebrated with the release of a 6-LP, high-quality collector’s box on BMG. The Essential Album Collection Vol. 1 will be released for the first time, containing all five groundbreaking albums, which have been remastered as audiophile 180g vinyl pressings, including original tracklistings and bonus tracks.

At the same time, the band's most important works; Affenstunde, Hosianna Mantra, Einsjäger & Siebenjäger, Aguirre and Nosferatu will be available as high-quality CD digipacks. The CD digipaks have been remastered by Popol Vuh’s members Guido Hieronymus and Frank Fiedler. All albums come with detailed booklets, including exclusive photos and liner notes by Klaus Schulze, Werner Herzog, Gerd Augustin, Manfred Gillig-Degrave and Michael Fuchs-Gamböck. Remastered by former Popol Vuh member Guido Hieronymus and Frank Fiedler.

The Vinyl box is up for pre-order on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-C.../dp/B07PK6MXD1
    Sweet

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Popol Vuh's catalog was always kind of mystifying: tunes were repeated under different titles, albums containing largely different material were released under the same title, the material on some albums seemed to be leftovers from an earlier period or didn't sound like it was being played by the lineup credited on the sleeve, and what the hell exactly was Yoga, anyway? So the messy CD catalog falls right in line. Certainly a lot of the CDs out there are sourced from vinyl (and the recent vinyl reissues on Wah Wah state that they are mastered from original tapes, which is extremely unlikely) and some of them suffer from heavy-handed noise reduction. Some guy on the Hoffman forum claims that in at least one or two cases, the same album will contain a mix of needle-drop and tape-sourced tracks.
    yeah, I kind of gave up making sense and just content with what I got now (the first six) and for now, screw the OST albums, which I don't really need, anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Some exciting news:

Interesting, though we can't see which is the 6th album ... and this is part of a series, as the "vol 1" indicates.
    Hopefully, this will include the essential albums that are missing in this first boxset (Pharaohs, Seilig, Letzte and Salomos).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Interesting, though we can't see which is the 6th album ...
    There is no sixth album. Nosferatu is the 2-LP version.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I'm a newcomer in the PV realm - a newcomer who feels a strong connection with this music, but I'm a bit confused with the catalogue, and it seems I'm not the only one. My first purchase was a CD called "In The Gardens Of Pharao / Aguirre" on the label "Celestial Harmonies", which I bought out of curiosity and loved. Then I understood that it basically contained the original IDGP (but "digitally remixed"), parts of Aguirre and the piano suite "Spirit Of Peace", whose relationship with the album of the same name I'm not sure about.
    I've then bought the SPV 2004 edition of Hosianna Mantra, but I'm not sure where to go next.
    Last edited by Interstellar; 03-13-2019 at 04:34 PM.

^ Thanks for the advice. I too love the sequencing on the compilation album. I think it has helped me get into this music.
    And yes, there is a spiritual quality to it that feels authentic and visceral - and I find it very moving. I look forward to hearing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    There is no sixth album. Nosferatu is the 2-LP version.
    doooohhh!!!...

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I'm a newcomer in the PV realm - a newcomer who feels a strong connection with this music, but I'm a bit confused with the catalogue, and it seems I'm not the only one. My first purchase was a CD called "In The Gardens Of Pharao / Aguirre" on the label "Celestial Harmonies", which I bought out of curiosity and loved. Then I understood that it basically contained the original IDGP (but "digitally remixed"), parts of Aguirre and the piano suite "Spirit Of Peace", whose relationship with the album of the same name I'm not sure about.
    I've then bought the SPV 2004 edition of Hosianna Mantra, but I'm not sure where to go next.
    I think this is the worst example of what not to do...

As for Mantra, it's just as delicious as their following albums, so if you enjoy it a lot, then Seiligspreisung and Einsjäger & Siebenjäger are sure winners, but it's a little bit of "more of the same" though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I think this is the worst example of what not to do...
    Well, I saw this one CD in a brick and mortar shop, then remembered this movie "Aguirre" I had seen 35 years ago, and remembered it featured some interesting music, so I bought it. No Youtube, no research, just curiosity and intuition, like in the good old days. Now I'm hooked. Thanks for the advice on Seiligspreisung and Einsjäger & Siebenjäger.

Those Celestial Harmonies LPs - Tantric Songs and In The Gardens Of Pharao / Aguirre - were the only Popol Vuh in the USA for a long, long time, and they were readily available.

Love this track off of Letzte Tage - Letzte Nächte, one of my fav albums of theirs.

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Those Celestial Harmonies LPs - Tantric Songs and In The Gardens Of Pharao / Aguirre - were the only Popol Vuh in the USA for a long, long time, and they were readily available.
    Hosianna Mantra too. Here’s the edition I originally owned:

True story: younger me originally hated this album when I first heard it, and took it back to the store the next day. I’m sure my snap judgement was something along the lines of “New age! Yuck!” I’m still not sold on Djong Yun’s vocals (her approach brings new meaning to the word “twee”), but it’s a lovely album.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Also guilty of dismissing Popol Vuh in my younger years before coming around on them more recently.

Regarding that box set, not sure if it's me but it's an interesting decision on what is "essential" Popol Vuh... maybe that's what they had the rights for . "Seligpreisung" and "Das Hohelied Salomos", and especially "Letzte Tage, Letzte Nächte", are conspicuous by their absence.

I'm ashamed for sleeping on these guys (this guy) for so long. I've scored a copy of a Spalax Seligpreisung, which I have gathered is a notoriously bad version to own, though I've heard worse sounding cds, but wow, very interesting music. I was always under the impression that this would be pretty free, floating, "not much to grab onto" stuff, but I could not be more wrong! Lovely melodies, defined and original structures, peaceful, joyous atmospheres, this is some great stuff.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    A vie, a mort, et apres...