Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous lists of instrumental credits

Ridiculous lists of instrumental credits

According to the notes on Regal Worm's Use and Ornament Jarrod Gosling contributed the following to the recording:

Mellotron M400, various analogue synthesizers, Hammond organs, Leslie speaker, Jarlsberg organ, Philips Philicorda, Rhodes electric piano, various keyboards, bass guitars, electric and acoustic guitars, Rogers drums, percussion, voice, bowed saw, glockenspiels, visuals, accordion, recorder, whistles, stylophone, mouth organ, home made stuff, direction, effects.

Personally I feel that Jarrod showed admirable restraint in not listing every single synthesizer, keyboard and guitar utilised. I guess he felt he'd made his point. I must admit I do enjoy these types of nerdy - and, let's be honest, proggy - lists.

Got any favourites? By all means post them. Bonus points for lists including imaginary instruments or other jokes. On that point - "Jarslberg Organ" - is it a real thing, I wonder?
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

1st one that comes to mind is of course Mike Oldfield right ?

Tubular Bells– grand piano, glockenspiel, Farfisa organ, bass guitar, electric guitar (including "speed guitar", "fuzz guitar", "mandolin-like guitar" and "guitars sounding like bagpipes"), taped motor drive amplifier organ chord, assorted percussion, acoustic guitar, flageolet, honky tonk piano, Lowrey organ, tubular bells, concert tympani, Hammond organ, Spanish guitar, vocals ("Piltdown Man" and "Moribund chorus")
    Hergest Ridge
    Mike Oldfield – acoustic guitar, bass guitar, electric guitars; Farfisa, Gemini, and Lowrey organs; glockenspiel, gong, mandolin, nutcracker, sleigh bells, Spanish guitar, timpani, and tubular bells

Drums, Percussion [Electronic Rhythm Generators], Synthesizer [Digital And Analog Synthesizers], Piano, Marimba, Cymbal, Organ, Synthesizer [Synthesizer Drums], Vibraphone, Percussion [Saucepan], Percussion [Wine Bottle], Percussion [Ceramic Hand Drums], Other [Cassettes], Whistle, Percussion [Wooden Tongue Drum], Tambourine, Percussion [Nipple Gongs], Percussion [Hair Comb], Percussion [Metal Ashtrays], Other [Raygun], Percussion [Drafting Stool], Percussion [Scrap Metal], Percussion [Balloons], Steel Drums
    David Van Tieghem on his album These Things Happen (not released on CD yet).

My absolute favorite liner notes is Tribal Tech Rocket Science. Click on the picture and read the "instrumentation" of each guy - its very Monty Python inspired imo. Hilarious! Great album too, btw.

frocket_sci2a5dca1e5436fe143ef9d0.jpg
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Not "insane", but on some of the early Oregon albums, the guys play a wide variety of different types of instruments.

https://www.discogs.com/Oregon-Music...elease/2160314

They didn't tend to do this later on.

Tom Scholz's credits on the Boston records are kinda ridiculous, where he's credited with playing every conceivable type of guitar, including "special effects guitar", along with organ, piano, percussion, bass, etc.

The credits on the late 70's/early 80's Rush albums also come to mind, with Alex credited with "6 and 12 electric and acoustic guitars, classical guitar" and on Hemispheres, guitar synthesizer. All of Geddy's synths are identified on A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres. And then there's Neil laundry list of percussion instruments (including "plywood" on Moving Pictures).

The credits on the mid and late 70's Tangerine Dream records were a hoot too, listing all the synths, guitars, etc that each band member played.

Then there's the gear list on the mid 70's ELO records, identifying all of Richard Tandy's keyboards and Jeff Lynne's guitars by make and model. And I think it's Out Of THe Blue which lists all the miscellaneous gear, including effects devices, ending with "fire extinguisher". I always wondered where the fire extinguisher came into it, but I think I read a couple yeas ago, it's the percussion instrument heard in Mr. Blue Sky.

While not particularly extensive, I always found Peter Hammill's instrumental credits on World Record quite witty:
    • Vox
    • Meurglys III --> Referenced in the Song Meurgyls III, The Songwriter's Guild (Guild being a guitar brand mainly known for its acoustic guitars)
    • Wassisterpunktenbacker (with the additional info further down, that overseeing the production was a certain Rich [What's the Point?] Zabriskie) -> You don't have to really know German to get the, uh, point

There is an early Blood Sweat & Tears album where one band member has a long list of instruments finishing with "kitchen sink."

Ian Underwood had some long lists on the early Mothers albums.

One of my favorite examples, from Tangerine Dream's momentous double live album Poland.

The following equipment were used on this live recording:[1]

CHRIS FRANKE

Sequential Circuits Prophet-5
    Sequential Circuits Prophet 600
    Sequential Circuits Pro-1
    E-mu Emulator
    E-mu Custom Programmable Synth
    Moog Custom Programmable Modular Synth
    MTI Synergy
    PE Polyrhythmic Sequencer
    Compulab Digital Sequencer
    Syntec Custom Digital Drum Computer
    Simmons Drum Modules
    Quantec Room Simulator
    Roland SDE 3000
    Hill Multi-Mixer

EDGAR FROESE

Yamaha DX7
    Yamaha YP-30
    Roland Jupiter-8
    Roland Jupiter-6
    Sequential Circuits Prophet-5
    PPG Wave 2.2
    PE Polyrhythmic Sequencer
    Publison DHM 89 B2
    Publison KB 2000
    Korg SDD 3000 Delay
    Roland SDE MIDI/DCB Interfaces
    Quantec Room Simulator
    Canproduct Mixer

JOHANNES SCHMOELLING

Roland Jupiter-8
    PPG Wave 2.3 Waveterm
    EEH CM 4 Digital Sequencer
    Dr. Böhm Digital Drums
    Roland TR-808
    Mini Moog
    Korg Mono/Poly
    Roland SDE 3000 Delay
    Canproduct Mixer
    MXR 01 Digital Reverb
    MXR Digital Delay
    BOSS Overdrive/Flanger
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland_(album)

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    These Things Happen (not released on CD yet).
    I have a CD of it — maybe it was a digital download and I made a CDR?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I have a CD of it — maybe it was a digital download and I made a CDR?
    I'd think so. Definitely hasn't seen a CD release. I'd buy it. Here's a video!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I'd think so. Definitely hasn't seen a CD release. I'd buy it. Here's a video!

Pretty sure that got played more than once on VH-1 New Visions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Pretty sure that got played more than once on VH-1 New Visions.
    No shiz? Never saw it on New Visions. I did see TD's "Tiergarten," Oldfield's "Magic Touch," Ponty's "The Gift of Time," and a couple by Montreux and Suzanne Ciani.

How about on Nico's album The End
    John Cale – bass guitar, xylophone, acoustic guitar, synthesizers, organ, marimba, triangles, cabaça, boobams, glockenspiel, percussion, piano, electric piano, production

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    No shiz? Never saw it on New Visions. I did see TD's "Tiergarten," Oldfield's "Magic Touch," Ponty's "The Gift of Time," and a couple by Montreux and Suzanne Ciani.
    Not 100% sure, though I know I saw DVT on that show and I've seen that video.

The list of percussion instruments used by Combo FH on their Věci album takes the cake as far as sheer absurdity goes. And yes, all these are really used on the album!

Scissors, whip, cowbell, glass paper, castor sugar, toy piggy, bead curtain, wood blocks, guitar congas, finger cymbals, bells, kettle drums, Balkan violin, grandfather clock, air pump, fan, jinglebells, screws, plate, tambourine, flexatone, maracas, claves.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I always thought the classiest one was Pete Townshend's credit on Quadrophenia: "Remainder".

Patrick Moraz Story of I
    Grand Piano, Organ [Hammond C3], Synthesizer [Mini Moog, Micro Moog, Poly Moog, ARP 2600, Pro-Soloist, Axxe Sythesizers And String Ensemble, AKS Sythi A, String Thing, Pace Drum], Mellotron [Mks. I & II], Electric Piano [Fender Rhodes 88], Clavinet [D6], Keyboards [Taurus Bass Pedals, Orchestron B, Supersonic Vocaltron, DPM Digital Sequencer, Electronic Slinky], Harpsichord, Marimba [Marimbaphone], Gong [Paiste], Cymbal [Orchestral], Percussion [Assorted], Alphorn [Alpine Horn]

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Then there's the gear list on the mid 70's ELO records, identifying all of Richard Tandy's keyboards and Jeff Lynne's guitars by make and model. And I think it's Out Of THe Blue which lists all the miscellaneous gear, including effects devices, ending with "fire extinguisher". I always wondered where the fire extinguisher came into it, but I think I read a couple yeas ago, it's the percussion instrument heard in Mr. Blue Sky.
    That's a great sound !

[Nipple Gongs]).

Morris Perts credits on Brand X's "Moroccan Roll": " percussion and a vast number of bits and things that he hit while the tape was running, including: The QE2, Idi Amin, and undiscovered parts of Scotland"

I don't remember which Zombi has a list that included:

•Moog Source (x2)
    •Sequential Circuits 6 Trak
    •Sequential Circuits Prophet 600
    •Sequential Circuits Pro One
    •Korg Polysix
    •some crusty old effects
    •some other shit

Ed

I love those extended lists, especially if they include every model of synthesizer that is used.
    This list attracted me to Earthstar (alas I don't really like the album)
    Tim Finnegan: Flute and templewind
    Dennis Rea: Electric guitar, treated guitar, tonewall
    Craig Wuest: Minimoors, Polymoog, Moogmodular, System & Sequencer, Oberham synthesizer sequencer, Polyponic Yamaha, P.P.G. modular system, P.P.G. 1020 synthesizer, Korg K2 synthi, Roland sh 1000, EMS Synthi-A, Elka String synthesizer, A.R.P. 2600, A.R.P. Omni 2, A.R.P. Odyssee, A.R.P. Avatar, A.R.P. Prosoloist, Mellotron, Birotron, piano, sitar, harp, sundrys, glass games, voice, vocoder, Tibetan bells & assorted percussion, tapeloops & treatments, night machine, tone doctor
    Norm Peach: Bass and devices
    Daryl Trivieri: Whaling violin, sheets of sound
    Louis Deponté: Violin I, viola, treatments
    Phil Novak: Violin II
    Marla Thomson: French horn, flute
    Dirk Schmalenbach: Sitar

And I have a CD by Johan Timman, which lists every module in his modular synthesizers.

This is IMO more in the informative departement

YMO - BGM

Isao Tomita - Snowflakes are Dancing

David Van Tieghem on his album These Things Happen (not released on CD yet).
    the lack of CD for this release is a crime - especially considering how absolutely played out and crappy my vinyl copy is.