Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

The first trailer debuted last night:

Thoughts?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've only ever seen the original trilogy. Nothing in this trailer makes me want to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The first trailer debuted last night:

Thoughts?
    Isn't that the second trailer?

In any event, it looks good. I still have reservations about Adam Driver as the bad guy, though - I don't think he quite makes the grade. Too boyish and mopey to be a credible Darth Vader successor.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Isn't that the second trailer?
    Hmm....might be. I assumed that it was the first, after all of the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I still have reservations about Adam Driver as the bad guy, though - I don't think he quite makes the grade. Too boyish and mopey to be a credible Darth Vader successor.
    He's as whiny as Luke in the first film (not a compliment), but not as bad as Hayden Christensen (if that's even possible).
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm laughingly going to try and avoid the trailer and go in "cold."

Probably won't even make it to the end of the week.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

As for Adam Driver, I really liked him as Kylo Ren. This dude actually explains why better than I can (and obviously, highly subjective).

YMMV.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    As for Adam Driver, I really liked him as Kylo Ren. This dude actually explains why better than I can (and obviously, highly subjective).

YMMV.
    His focus is the character, not so much the portrayal of the character.

IMO, the characters is mildly compelling, but the portrayal in the film wasn't very good at all.

Anyway, this guy is a fanboy whose credibility is suspect at best. He clearly would support anything that was done.

Like I said, YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've only ever seen the original trilogy. Nothing in this trailer makes me want to change that.
    I'd imagine if I had never seen Episode VII, I wouldn't want to see its sequel either.

But I loved The Force Awakens, so I'm interested in where they take the story with this one.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I'm very stoked. But, I can do without the Porgs.

And last night was the release of the first full official trailer. Previously, there was just a short teaser.
    Last edited by Nearfest2; 10-10-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    Chad

I dunno. After the thoroughly-secular Arrival and Blade Runner 2049, I'm a lot less excited to re-enter the pseudo-religious universe of Star Wars. It just seems I dunno LAZY.

Awesome trailer! Loved it, and can't wait for the flick in December!!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I'd imagine if I had never seen Episode VII, I wouldn't want to see its sequel either.
    Which is why I included all the post-original films in my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I dunno. After the thoroughly-secular Arrival and Blade Runner 2049, I'm a lot less excited to re-enter the pseudo-religious universe of Star Wars. It just seems I dunno LAZY.
    I feel the sort of the same way about the retread Star Trek shows after seeing The Expanse.

I guess I will give this a chance. Looks a little darker though Chewie's new companion looks like pure merchandising.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Which is why I included all the post-original films in my comment.
    Yes, and I was saying I could see why you might feel that way.

I'm confused by this part. What's lazy exactly? Star Wars as a whole, or just the new movies?

Purging Star Wars excitement from my system would probably be impossible. It was too much a part of my youth. That said, what's lazy about the first new SW film, IMO, is not the mythology (it's not really sci-fi anyway, but rather an interstellar western/samurai flick) but the failure to come up something new in the way of a story. So much of what we've seen so far is a retread of what has gone before. Granted, the last time something original was tried we had Jar-Jar Binks, pod races and trade negotiations, but that can be blamed on Lucas, who isn't around any more.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I'm very stoked. But, I can do without the Porgs.

And last night was the release of the first full official trailer. Previously, there was just a short teaser.
    They may well ruin it for me as did Jar Jar, Ewoks and the rest of the cuteness overload.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

but the failure to come up something new in the way of a story
    A thousand times this! The first time I saw The Force Awakens I was delighted. The second time, other than Han's story, it felt like treading old ground. Oh, and Carrie did bring something new and wise to General Leia Organa. Such a goddamn we lost her. The sense of wonder and amazement we felt the first time we saw the original trilogy can never be repeated so dammit, tell a new story.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    A thousand times this! The first time I saw The Force Awakens I was delighted. The second time, other than Han's story, it felt like treading old ground. Oh, and Carrie did bring something new and wise to General Leia Organa. Such a goddamn we lost her. The sense of wonder and amazement we felt the first time we saw the original trilogy can never be repeated so dammit, tell a new story.
    Abrams admitted that they re-tread some of the same types of story lines to "claim back" Star Wars from the awful prequels (not his exact words, of course, but that was the general gist). The next two films are supposed to have their own stories.

There is truly nothing new under the sun.

However, even though The Force Awakens had some similar story elements to A New Hope, I'd venture to say that it also did new things for a Star Wars movie. One of the heroes being a former Stormtrooper who had a change of heart, for example. None of the other movies showed a member of the Empire as ever having much of a conscience, much less switching sides to come over to the good guys.

Most successful movie series follow some kind of formula -- like Indiana Jones, for instance. Star Wars is no different really.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Abrams admitted that they re-tread some of the same types of story lines to "claim back" Star Wars from the awful prequels (not his exact words, of course, but that was the general gist). The next two films are supposed to have their own stories.
    That would be great, though the trailer showing an ice planet and Rey seeking out Luke on a remote planet for counsel and training already references Empire quite a bit.

I'll be happy if "claiming Star Wars back" just involved making excellent movies. Hopefully this will be one.

I liked Rogue One a lot more than The Force Awakens. It's one major "fan service" moment outshone all those in TFA.

TLJ has a different director and I believe it will avoid the pitfalls JJ routinely makes (see: Star Trek Into Dorkness).

Nevertheless, I see we have a new goofball species in the tradition of the Ewok. Oh, well.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I'm confused by this part. What's lazy exactly? Star Wars as a whole, or just the new movies?
    Any place where the script says “magic happens here.”