Thread: Pentangle boxset (Cheery Red)

Pentangle boxset (Cheery Red)

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...ums-1968-1972/

this is going to be exceedingly difficult for me to pass this up

Mini-Lp to maximum respect of the artworks...

Ok price too...

PENTANGLE-box-set-contents-mock_1000px.jpg
    Last edited by Trane; 10-09-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

With all due respect to the Pentangle catalogue, all one ever needs from them is the superlative double half-live/half studio "Sweet Child".

One of my top 10, and a Desert Island disc. Listen carefully for the germ of Gentle Giant that lies within.

auto-buy....I think I'll put this on the Xmas list for the Wife to get for me.

John Renbourne is one of my all-time favorite guitarists.
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    With all due respect to the Pentangle catalogue, all one ever needs from them is the superlative double half-live/half studio "Sweet Child".

One of my top 10, and a Desert Island disc. Listen carefully for the germ of Gentle Giant that lies within.
    With all due respect to you, missing Pentangle gems like Pentangling from their eponymous debut and Train Song from Basket of Light, which proceeded and followed Sweet Child respectively, seems like a crime. The first three Pentangle albums are all essential for any fan of the group.

But back to the topic. This release from Cherry Red has been a long time in the works and looks absolutely gorgeous. An obvious auto-buy for yours truly. Can't wait.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

^ Agreed, but I would say Cruel Sister is pretty much essential as well.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Very well. I'll see your Cruel Sister and raise you one Solomon's Seal.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 10-11-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: better album

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    That version of "Willy O' Winsbury" is one of the most beautiful things ever.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    That version of "Willy O' Winsbury" is one of the most beautiful things ever.
    Agreed! McShee at her best. The song itself is like a time machine.

With all due respect to you, missing Pentangle gems like Pentangling from their eponymous debut and Train Song from Basket of Light, which proceeded and followed Sweet Child respectively, seems like a crime. The first three Pentangle albums are all essential for any fan of the group.

But back to the topic. This release from Cherry Red has been a long time in the works and looks absolutely gorgeous. An obvious auto-buy for yours truly. Can't wait.
    Plenty of bonus tracks as well, though I'm not sure how essential they may be

and I'll trump you all with the delicious and most experimental Reflections
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Plenty of bonus tracks as well, though I'm not sure how essential they may be

and I'll trump you all with the delicious and most experimental Reflections
    All fine albums really, which makes this box set so appealing. Reflection is best produced of the lot and quite modern sounding for the time as opposed to the rest which were quite dry sounding. So naturally it's another must have.

^ I've always thought the first s/t album was superbly produced too. Though I'm no expert, just going by what I hear.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I'm good with the remastered Sanctuary ones which were very cheap. But on this set at least the first album now includes the single 'Travelling Song'. Completely incomprehensible to me why it was not an extra track on the first album.

Basket Of Light is my favourite and Cruel Sister is the weakest of the six original albums IMHO. Heard none of the reunion albums with different line-ups but saw the original band live in 2008.
    Last edited by JJ88; 10-12-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Basket Of Light is my favourite and Cruel Sister is the weakest of the six original albums IMHO. Heard none of the reunion albums with different line-ups but saw the original band live in 2008.
    Never owned Cruel Sister, but I had a weird version called A Maid that's Deep In Love instead. Different track order mostly, if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I'm good with the remastered Sanctuary ones which were very cheap. But on this set at least the first album now includes the single 'Travelling Song'. Completely incomprehensible to me why it was not an extra track on the first album.

I saw them in '08 too and thought they were great given both their age and the hard living done by a few (all?) of the original the members.

Mine should arrive today or tomorrow!

NOTE: The recently released live show, 2016's Finale - An Evening with Pentangle, from recent times, is also quite wonderful!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

^ I've always thought the first s/t album was superbly produced too. Though I'm no expert, just going by what I hear.
    Oh, I'm not knocking any of the first three albums produced by Shel Talmy. They are all as clear as a bell and his "bell chime" acoustic guitar sound set a standard at the time, but he was very anti Spector and didn't go in for the bells and whistles like the doubled tracked lead vocals as well and the "wetter" reverbed sound, applied during mixing, that you find on Reflection. Reflection was produced and engineered by Bill Leader, I believe, who recorded and engineered early Transatlantic artists, like the solo debuts of Jansch and Renbourn.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 10-13-2017 at 06:33 AM.

I totally agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post

NOTE: The recently released live show, 2016's Finale - An Evening with Pentangle, from recent times, is also quite wonderful!
    Ok JK. You've had 24 hours to listen to the box set. So how was all 7 albums?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    He has to listen to them 8 or 9 times!

Sorry to disappoint (), but immersed in what I’ve received so far from the crimson box that I’ll be reviewing.

But did listen to first two albums, and am taking this afternoon off from Crimson, so plan to binge as much as I can
    Last edited by jkelman; 10-15-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He has to listen to them 8 or 9 times!
    Ok, now y’all are gettin' just plain silly...🤡🤡

But seriously, the Pentangle box is a personal buy that I’ll not be writing up (with three other boxes in the queue, that’d be impossible...)...though were that not the case, I may well have done so. So far, a great box!!
    John Kelman

Ok, now y’all are gettin' just plain silly...����

But seriously, the Pentangle box is a personal buy that I’ll not be writing up (with three other boxes in the queue, that’d be impossible...)...though were that not the case, I may well have done so. So far, a great box!!
    No problem, I'd take KC over Pentangle too!

I played Finale last night after a few months away. I still can't believe how good these live show were recorded and performed! I also listened to Sing A Song For You by Anne Briggs, who naturally has Pentangle DNA in her genes (and vice versa) and it's another album that I'm still blown away by, after listening to it for some 20+ years!