Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New interview with Bill Bruford

The Enemy God
    Quote Originally Posted by cazz View Post
    Regarding the Al references (Scenario), I believe the album was commissioned and not Al's "latest". It's evidence that you can't just put musicians together from different walks of life just cause you think they would be great together. Looks like it is out of print too. Not his best.
    I recall I think in Mick Karn's excellent autobiography, something similar, I think management put him in with Bruford and Torn briefly with Cloud About Mercy, Karn seemed totally bemused as to why he had been picked and of course equally bemused with lots of demands he played certain ways, when essentially he's just a self taught virtuoso but with little technical knowledge at that stage for really hi end playing. Sort of astonishing really.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    I knew someone like that too. He kept everyone waiting for the sake of keeping everyone waiting. It was kind of a power trip. It made him feel important. He was like that for many years and probably still is. Hard to imagine Chris Squire doing that for the same purpose, though.
    I have had a few friends at various stages of my life who were chronically late. My wife had a boyfriend who was ALWAYS at least an hour late: he was even late picking her up to go to a New Years Eve party. Interestingly (or not) one of my childhood friends who was one of the chronically late, his mom was chronically late when scheduling "dates" with my mom. We all agree that it is incredibly DISrespectful. They (the chronically late) are saying "my time and what I was doing is more important than your time."

Think about it: you said we are going somewhere at 12. I have set aside other activities to spend time with you. But when you are late, you are taking an hour away from me that I may have spent somewhere else, or doing something else. And what about if I had something else on my schedule for right after "our" activity?

I am quite sure that Bill is quite tired of answering that same old question: "Why do you leave Yes?"

He even titled a chapter in his autobiography that. I think the interview was merely OK. But that question arose from lazy preparation on the part of the interviewer.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gallen1964 View Post
    I recall I think in Mick Karn's excellent autobiography, something similar, I think management put him in with Bruford and Torn briefly with Cloud About Mercy, Karn seemed totally bemused as to why he had been picked and of course equally bemused with lots of demands he played certain ways, when essentially he's just a self taught virtuoso but with little technical knowledge at that stage for really hi end playing. Sort of astonishing really.
    Torn's version of the story was that it was going to be him, Bruford and Karn all along, but Karn got into a car accident had some other issues that precluded him working with them, so Bruford brought in Levin and Torn came up with the idea of adding Isham's trumpet.
    When it came time to tour, Karn was available but Isham wasn't so they went out with Torn, Bruford, Karn and White. Damn, I wish I'd seen them live.

Quote Originally Posted by painter View Post
    I am quite sure that Bill is quite tired of answering that same old question: "Why do you leave Yes?"
    They should change it up every once in a while and ask why he left Savoy Brown or Gong.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I think all of the "classic" Yes members have said that about Squire, more than once. Wakeman certainly has, and I'm pretty sure I've seen Howe and Anderson mention that in interviews as well.
    There was a comic strip in one of Yes's tour programs that showed Anderson, Howe, Wakeman, White, and Brian Lane discussing their tour plans. Chris Squire shows up around panel four saying "Sorry I'm late."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Torn's version of the story was that it was going to be him, Bruford and Karn all along, but Karn got into a car accident had some other issues that precluded him working with them, so Bruford brought in Levin and Torn came up with the idea of adding Isham's trumpet.
    When it came time to tour, Karn was available but Isham wasn't so they went out with Torn, Bruford, Karn and White. Damn, I wish I'd seen them live.
    On this show Isham was there:

I asked Mick Karn on his forum if his "trouble" with this band was that he wasn't into improvisation, but he said that wasn't the case. Impro wasn't a problem for him. Too bad the old Mick Karn-forum posts are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    it's not an interview, it's a cut&paste of old stuff, his biography, same phrases....
    It's clearly an interview containing material not in his biography. It looks as though it was done by email, with Bruford writing, so he may be using familiar phrases and repeating himself.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    On this show Isham was there:
    Bruford very near Peak Hexagon here...
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Peak Hexagon