Thread: 50th Anniv. Edition of Days of Future Passed - original mix rrestored for CD!

50th Anniv. Edition of Days of Future Passed - original mix rrestored for CD!

So how many here actually have or had heard the original mix of this album? I know I haven't. Is it significantly different thqn the CD mixes and later vinyl reissues?
    Below is from their FaceBook page.

The Moody Blues’ Days Of Future Passed will be celebrated with an expanded 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition to be released November 17 by UMe. The deluxe 2CD/DVD and digital audio edition features the album’s newly restored original 1967 stereo mix, which makes its CD debut here. Due to a damaged master tape of the original mix, the album was remixed in stereo in 1972; this later mix has been used for the album’s subsequent CD reissues. Today’s technology has allowed for the original stereo master to be repaired, and the new 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition pairs that original album mix with the 1972 stereo mix. The commemorative set also features nine BBC Radio session performances, as well as a DVD with a new 5.1 surround sound mix derived from the album’s original 1972 Quad mix, plus previously unreleased video footage of the band performing three key Days Of Future Passed tracks at MIDEM on January 24, 1968, eight weeks after the album’s release. The set also includes a poster designed by Ray Thomas. On the same date, the album’s restored 1967 stereo mix will also be released on 180-gram vinyl.

Preorder Days Of Future Passed:
    50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (2CD/DVD): https://MoodyBlues.lnk.to/DaysOfFuture2CD

180-gram Vinyl LP (original 1967 stereo mix): https://MoodyBlues.lnk.to/DaysOfFutureLP

Amazon.co.uk: 0602567008972
    Amazon.co.uk: 0602567008972
    See more at MOODYBLUES.LNK.TO

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    So how many here actually have or had heard the original mix of this album? I know I haven't. Is it significantly different thqn the CD mixes and later vinyl reissues?
    Yes. The major difference is that the verses in "Time To Get Away" have harmony vocals in the original mix while the remix has John Lodge's falsetto by itself. There are also different vocal effects and editing differences on other songs.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Yes. The major difference is that the verses in "Time To Get Away" have harmony vocals in the original mix while the remix has John Lodge's falsetto by itself. There are also different vocal effects and editing differences on other songs.
    I've never known about this. I was never a big Moody Blues fan but Days is my favorite by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Very good info. Thanks a lot, that tells me that I will want at least the original mix on vinyl, preferably one of these new 180G pressings.

so... if one owns a pre-72 LP pressing of the album then they have the original mix...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

The new 5.1 would be of interest to me, however, the DTS disc I have is absolutely amazing considering the age of the material. One of the best 5.1 discs I own.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    so... if one owns a pre-72 LP pressing of the album then they have the original mix...
    I think I might have an original on the Deram label.. It's been years since I played it.. after I got This Is.. that's all I've ever played of The Moody Blues..

On the original mix there is also a low register piano part during "Sunset". The drum sound throughout is much murkier than the '72 remix. And as mentioned above, many different vocal reverbs, effects, and volumes. The effect on Pinder's voice on " Sunset" (...through the night-----) sounds way different. Mike's voice on "Dawn Is A Feeling" is more distant sounding.The harmonies on " Evening Time To Get Away" sound so much better than the stark falsetto on the '72 mix. I was always curious why they left them out . Maybe the harmonies were sung while mixing due to lack of available tracks on the, I presume, 4 track machine? Things like that were often done.

Overall, I prefer the '72 mix but it's nce to have both. The original has more of a period feel to it on the band tracks.

Hearing the original mix also is a good example of how engineers in 1967 were still trying to figure out how to properly record and mix a loud rock band. The orchestra tracks sound phenomenal as most orchestral recordings were for many years by that point.

Is it significantly different than the CD mixes and later vinyl reissues?
    Well obviously everyone needs to buy one to find out! That's the genius of marketing the same albums over and over to people who already own them.

The earlier pressings of the record (not exactly rare) have this mix. There are a lot of little differences. Surprising it's taken this long for the original mix to appear on a widely available, lower-price CD (and that box which had it only came out a few years back). But it's not like the later remix was a disaster- they are both good.

The MFSL (Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab) LP was released in 1981. They were sticklers on using "Original Masters" for all of their releases. One reason why they never released Tull's Aqualung...the original masters could not be found.

So was the master they used for "Days of Future..." considered "original"?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Well obviously everyone needs to buy one to find out! That's the genius of marketing the same albums over and over to people who already own them.
    You poured some much-needed cold water on my initial excitement about this. I've already bought Days of Future Past twice. While I would love to hear this, the things like this I do own I typically listen 2-3 times and say "wow those differences are neat" and then shelve them and keep listening to whatever I owned originally. For example, the Sgt. Pepper thing that came out a few months ago? Listened to it all of twice, said "yeah a lot cleaner" and since then I've listened only to the original.

^That's sometimes where I am with remixes- the amount of Wilson remixes I have, I could count on one hand with fingers to spare! Unless there were glaring flaws with the original mixes or they never had a stereo at the time (see Pet Sounds), I don't care that much.

But this is an original mix so it's what people bought/heard at the time. It depends on how historically-minded you are whether that matters. I might slightly prefer the original one actually, but it's not like the remix was a desecration.

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    The MFSL (Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab) LP was released in 1981. They were sticklers on using "Original Masters" for all of their releases. One reason why they never released Tull's Aqualung...the original masters could not be found.

So was the master they used for "Days of Future..." considered "original"?
    Never had it but according to this, no.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread.../#post-3884209

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Photo on 10-8-17 at 7.32 AM.jpg
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Hahaha ... I have one too!!

Anyone heard the quad version that the 5.1 is based upon?
    A friend remembers he heard it and the mix was not too good- nothing happening in the rears at all apart for some reverb, but his memory might be failing...

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I believe I have heard that none of the American pressings had the original mix. All I've seen was that only the first run of the UK pressing had the original mix. I could be wrong about that, though. I seem to remember some of that album being played on WRAS during the early 70s and thinking that my vinyl copy post-72 sounded different in a few places when I first played it.

I believe I have heard that none of the American pressings had the original mix.
    Not true, it's on American Deram LP pressings which are a very common sight in used record stores (as mentioned above).

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    For example, the Sgt. Pepper thing that came out a few months ago? Listened to it all of twice, said "yeah a lot cleaner" and since then I've listened only to the original.
    Yes, but the difference is that this Moodies release is the original, as the artist intended, whereas the new "Pepper" release is what Giles Martin felt would appeal to a new audience, which, quite frankly, I find silly and sacrilegious. There was nothing about the original mix that would have turned any young listeners off.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

This is one MB album I never owned and with which I'm mostly unfamiliar. Makes sense for me to get it.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yes, but the difference is that this Moodies release is the original, as the artist intended, whereas the new "Pepper" release is what Giles Martin felt would appeal to a new audience, which, quite frankly, I find silly and sacrilegious. There was nothing about the original mix that would have turned any young listeners off.
    Agreed. JJ pointed that distinction out above, too. My point was rather that these types of alternatives, whether historically valid (as in the Moodies case) or an attempt at "updating," rarely make a difference in terms of the listening enjoyment. I almost always go back to the way I am used to listening to an album.

One exception: Henry Cow. Leg End. I first owned that 90s Northside Digital Mix and thought it was a good album. Then I heard the original mix and boy what a difference that made. The original was like Color TV vs. the Black and White for the 90s mix.

wow 50 years! i never had this on CD, i think i'll get this new package....

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Agreed. JJ pointed that distinction out above, too. My point was rather that these types of alternatives, whether historically valid (as in the Moodies case) or an attempt at "updating," rarely make a difference in terms of the listening enjoyment. I almost always go back to the way I am used to listening to an album.

One exception: Henry Cow. Leg End. I first owned that 90s Northside Digital Mix and thought it was a good album. Then I heard the original mix and boy what a difference that made. The original was like Color TV vs. the Black and White for the 90s mix.
    Not to go too far off on a tangent, but I would LOVE to hear George Harrison's original "Brainwashed" album before Jeff Lynne Jeff-Lynned it. He went against George's wishes to have a stripped-down production. It deserves its proper release as George intended.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    The new 5.1 would be of interest to me
    I don't think the 5.1 mix on this 50th Anniversary will be a 'new' mix but my guess it is the same 5.1 mix that was on the Deluxe Edition SACD.