Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Blade Runner 2049 Discussion (SPOILERS!!!)

I'll check both Best Buy next week...unless the release at Best Buy offers something substantially better (i.e. additional content, extra disc, my own Joi emanator for around the house), and isn't just a metal case or something silly, I'll be happy to fork over a few extra bucks. Otherwise, I'm sure Target or Wal Mart will have plenty of copies at a more reasonable price.

I did spring for the digital version, gave it a first watch @ home last week...good god damn I love that movie. Still my favorite for 2017.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Looking forward to getting Bladerunner 2049 on blu ray. Saw it 3 times in the theater, something I rarely do. If they release a 4K version that also has a BR disc I may get that even though I have yet to get a 4K player. For movies that I know I will watch many times, I have been doing that since I would be getting the BR anyway (ie The Revenant, also picked up the 4K original Bladerunner).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'll check both Best Buy next week...unless the release at Best Buy offers something substantially better (i.e. additional content, extra disc, my own Joi emanator for around the house), and isn't just a metal case or something silly, I'll be happy to fork over a few extra bucks. Otherwise, I'm sure Target or Wal Mart will have plenty of copies at a more reasonable price.

I did spring for the digital version, gave it a first watch @ home last week...good god damn I love that movie. Still my favorite for 2017.
    It has a metal case and some kind of HD Ultra something or other which it seems only their release has. It must look and sound twice as good!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Blu-Ray coming this month, and Best Buy has some unique edition with some different format (and different packaging). Take a look - what do you think?
    Best Buy's exclusive steelbooks are pretty freakin' cool. They feature different art, like the steelbooks for Logan and Valerian (which is a beaut).

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Best Buy's exclusive steelbooks are pretty freakin' cool. They feature different art, like the steelbooks for Logan and Valerian (which is a beaut).
    I know someone who collects those.

(By the way, I thought the Valerian film was a hoot.)

Well, by the time I went to Best Buy Tuesday evening, all the steelbook editions were sold out. So, that's a nice sign. I was happy to do the normal edition which I think was $25.

The extras are a bit sparse...I would love a bit more depth into the making of the film, especially the crafting of the story and whatnot.

Still my favorite film of 2017, bar none.

And just to reiterate, I do hope at some point we get to hear Johann Johannsson's original score, whatever form it might have. He's a brilliant sound sculptor IMHO, and I can't imagine him doing work that wasn't at least interesting, even if it wasn't ideally suited to the final film.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Well, by the time I went to Best Buy Tuesday evening, all the steelbook editions were sold out. So, that's a nice sign. I was happy to do the normal edition which I think was $25.
    Did you check the website to see if was available in your area? As I posted a ways up they were ONLY available for store pickup, and already sold out in a radius of at least 250 miles from where I live, according to Best Buy.

I honestly didn't want the steelbook that badly, unless there was serious additional content on the discs themselves.

I'm just happy to see that it flew off the shelves. It is a bit naive/optimistic on my part but I would like to hope that in due time, the film's audience grows.

I honestly didn't want the steelbook that badly, unless there was serious additional content on the discs themselves.

I'm just happy to see that it flew off the shelves. It is a bit naive/optimistic on my part but I would like to hope that in due time, the film's audience grows.
    As far as I can tell, there is no different content in the steelbook release. I never understood the attraction of these steelbook cases. A blue shirt at Best Buy told me people collect and even display them. Wha...?

Is the steel case worth the extra ten bucks? Not to me.

I’d buy a Bladerunner lunchbox for less than that.

Dude, they're made of STEEL! Here's my collection - they're all shrink wrapped:

Just kidding - I don't own any!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Dude, they're made of STEEL! Here's my collection - they're all shrink wrapped:

Just kidding - I don't own any!
    You had me for awhile there!

Fortunately I haven't bought that many movies on DVD or BD. For the most part I'm happy renting or buying streaming movies and not accumulating a big physical collection. I wish there was a channel like TCM that allowed you to stream "classic" movies.

BR2049BRD showed up today. Can't wait to spin it up.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    BR2049BRD showed up today. Can't wait to spin it up.
    I watched it again last night on blu-ray. Image was pristine. Obviously not as totally engrossing as the theatrical experience, but still very involving with the lights down on a big screen plasma. The key is finding a 3 hour window without interruptions. I will post some thoughts later as I wasn't involved in the earlier discussions. I love the soundtrack of this movie.

The extras on the BRD are nice — a 20-minute “making of”, the three preludes, five short “Blade Runner 101” featurettes — nothing like the five disc Blade Runner 1982 which includes enough deleted scenes to make a whole new movie, but still what’s here is nice. Some interview footage with Harrison and all the other cast.

Back to the movie. It’s a treat to be able to stop the action and examine details, and it’s a treat to have subtitles for deaf & hard of hearing so all the quick dialogue is spelled out. I wish they’d translate the signage in Japanese.

Here’s a tip for those who have received the disc: listen to it on headphones.

The level of detail in the audio is just as layered as the video, though it is not apparent on speakers.

I finally got around to watching this and ...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Funny this thread got a new chance. Last weekend Arte showed the documentary The Blade Runner Phenomenon. It's mostly on the original Blade Runner, but there are some scenes on the 2049-version too:

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Funny this thread got a new chance. Last weekend Arte showed the documentary The Blade Runner Phenomenon. It's mostly on the original Blade Runner, but there are some scenes on the 2049-version too:

Unavailable in the US, it seems. Too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like someone has heard you:

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Looks like someone has heard you:

Excellent! Thanks.

That was a great video.

"And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Totally agree. Very well done and amazingly well framed. I like 2049 but the original is one of my top five movies of all time.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)