Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'll rank them:

Beatles
    Stones
    Animals
    DC5
    Herman's Hermits
    Hollies
    No love for the Kinks? I probably own 10 different Kinks CDs and I love them all.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    What would you consider the FIVE best Kinks albums (in any order)?
    Something Else By The Kinks
    Give The People What They Want
    Village Green Preservation Society
    Low Budget
    Muswell Hillbillies

The list and order will change 5 times today, but this is the first list that comes to mind. Hard to skip Sleepwalker, The Kink Kontroversy, and Misfits

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yeah, but is MTV a credible source for these things ?? Not that I was paying that much attention to MTV or electro-pop, as we, in CDN, had The New MusicTV show to keep us informed, before morphing into MuchMusic.
    Well, I don't know what it was called in Canada (if anything), but STateside, the media in general (not just MTV) called it "The Second British Invasion".

Few of the pre-Beatles UK rock acts got anywhere in the US, right? I think Cliff did OK with 'Living Doll' and The Tornados had 'Telstar' but I don't think any of the others did anything. Cliff did better in the mid 70s-early 80s, and Shadows members wrote various big US hits for Olivia Newton John.
    Well, there was Lonnie Donegan's Does You Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor On The Bedpost Over Night (or whatever the actual title of the song, but that's skiffle, so I guess it doesn't count.

I remember reading an article in Guitar Player magazine about Burns guitars, which noted that part of the reason Burns never had a big Stateside market share was because their publicity at the time leaned heavily on the endorsement of a guitarist (Hank Marvin) and band (The Shadows) who few Americans had heard of at the time.

I wonder which Olivia Newton-John songs the Shadows guys wrote.

Just checked, and I didn't know the Yardbirds actually formed that early..; Did they tour the US so early in their career?
    They formed early enough to go through four different "lead" guitarists before 1968 (mind you, Anthony Topham was only in the band for a few weeks, but even still...).

I believe their first US tour was in 65, with Beck already in the band.