Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Genesis- Duke

I think they were amazingly consistent from Tresspass Through Duke and Duke is my favourite Genesis album. Oddly the one I can't get on with is W&W, much prefer Trick and ATTWT which bookended it. I'm not sure why I've never got on with it, all the components are there.

Duke is just perfect though. I think they got a bit inconsistent afterwards although I love certain tracks. Domino is a belter, Fading Lights too. And yes, all the later stuff was far more powerful live.

I have a special feeling for Duke.
    I love the artwork, which hints at the more minimalistic approach of the later albums while retaining the drawing/painting aspect and a sense of mystery and adventure.
    The music also offers a good balance between the progressive spirit and the straight pop approach. (Well, I always skip "Misunderstanding" to be honest.)
    I don't find a similarly satisfying balance on the later albums.

The thing with music in general for me is that I either like something or I don't. I'm not even sure I can analyze why it clicks other than it has a hook or melody that gets under my skin. If I had to put my finger on it, it's usually when I can remember even a small part of a song after listening to it once - that's what makes me want to listen again. It's the same reason I watch a TV series or read a particular author. Something clicked and makes me want more of it.

I have to say that I'm often perplexed by why people don't like "Cul de Sac" or "Man of Our Times". The former is to me epic in sound - it's a big Genesis song akin to some of the big tracks on ATTWT. This one has a big finish which is why I think it's superior to the fade outs on the previous album. "Man of Our Times" has a better verse than chorus with that driving beat that sort of sounds like an early version of the sound they would go for on Abacab. "Heathaze" works for me primarily because the lyrics speak to my own anxieties and depression. I get what Banks is talking about and because of that it has a special place in my heart (also the melody of the chorus is absolutely gorgeous).
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I have to say that I'm often perplexed by why people don't like ...... "Man of Our Times".
    Just never really 'worked' for me. I like most of their songs through ABACAB, but for a few notable exceptions. I always FF though Back in NYC when listening to the Lamb; likewise for Squonk (sacrilegious, I know) and Man of Our Times. Acronym for the latter is MOOT, which about sums it up for me LOL.

I don't like Man Of Our Times either, in fact I always skip it and forget it exists, just sounds rather unmemorable...

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    "Heathaze" works for me primarily because the lyrics speak to my own anxieties and depression. I get what Banks is talking about and because of that it has a special place in my heart (also the melody of the chorus is absolutely gorgeous).
    I LOOOOVE "Heathaze" - for the same reasons you do - "The tree will loose their withered leaves, I just can't seem to shake them loose..." - hits me hard - typical Banks is great Genesis...

v

Man Of Our Times sounds like it could have been on Smallcreeps day.

Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    I've always thought so.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    I LOOOOVE "Heathaze" - for the same reasons you do - "The tree will loose their withered leaves, I just can't seem to shake them loose..." - hits me hard - typical Banks is great Genesis...

v
    Yeah, Heathaze is one of the best songs from Duke IMO. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    For sure. I really like that one too; it's so strident, but in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post

v
    Exactly! Another great Banks song.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Exactly! Another great Banks song.
    I just played the CD a few moments ago. Heathhaze is indeed a fine Banks' penned song but don't forget his B-side Evidence of Autumn (a fine fine track that I wish replaced Misunderstanding).
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-19-2021 at 08:40 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Let's not forget Cul-de-sac. Also a fine song.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

"Cul-De-Sac" fell out of favor with the band rather quickly, as it was in the style of their 70s output. They wanted to move away from that, and did, with Abacab.

I like to think of Man of the Times as part of the Duke suite, I think it fits quite well after Guide Vocal, and it makes a decent "mid-epic" section. As a standalone song I find it a bit weak, I like the individual ideas of the song, but I don't think it really justifies its running time, or probably could've used an extra section or so.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

I didn't really like "Man of Our Times" or "Cul-de-Sac" right away, but then one day they just "hit." And they hit hard. Great songs.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Dude, I love "Domino" and "Driving the Last Spike". Those are goosebump-inducing songs for me.

"Fading Lights" is pretty cool too. Tony's solo is killer.
    Domino is fantastic especially live.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Domino is fantastic especially live.
    I remember seeing that live 30 years ago, with Phil rising way up high to the middle of the Jumbotron screens. Pretty ballsy! That song has a lot of atmosphere.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I just played the CD a few moments ago. Heathhaze is indeed a fine Banks' penned song but don't forget his B-side Evidence of Autumn (a fine fine track that I wish replaced Misunderstanding).
    I have "Evidence of Autumn" on 3 Sides Live, great track. When 3SL was remastered and released with a fourth side live, I had to keep the the original too.

Although nothing compares to Evidence of Autumn to my ears, I find Heathaze to be a hauntingly beautiful track, and probably my favorite on the album. I especially love the verses, would have loved a glorious key change in the chorus as there'd been in the chorus of 'One For The Vine' (the 'made him stray, off of the mountain' line) and an instrumental bit in the middle would have been cool, but being what it is, I still love it. As to Cul-De-Sac, that's another favorite for me, but it was the Phil vs Tony thing, where Phil didn't like 'Cul-De-Sac' and Tony didn't like 'Misunderstanding', I remember reading once. Also Tony didn't care much for Alone Tonight, for whatever reason.

I did a drum attempt of "Turn It On Again" today for anyone remotely interested:

Quote Originally Posted by pianomankd View Post
    I did a drum attempt of "Turn It On Again" today for anyone remotely interested:
    Nice work. Thanks for sharing.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Very nice, I have been drumming for many a years and this has always been a favorite, sadly any more my mind sends the signals but my hands are just a bit delayed on carrying out the commands. It's a really fun song to play. I have never figured out why so many people don't like it. Good job!

Way cool, man. Excellent job on the drumming. Thanks for sharing that! How long have you been playing?

The way Phil played the toms on that one has always appealed to me. Such a snappy tune also, in spite of it being in an unusual meter (for a "pop" song). One of my absolute favorite Genesis songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I remember seeing that live 30 years ago, with Phil rising way up high to the middle of the Jumbotron screens. Pretty ballsy! That song has a lot of atmosphere.
    Yeah. That was great. I was in the second row center for that.

I heard Gabriel kept on messing up when he played drums on this song at the 82 reunion. I don’t hear the crack ups on the boots though. Does anyone know if Chester was playing at the same time?