Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Zorn

Only two? That's damn tricky. I think I've got some 25-30 titles of his, and this doesn't even make for 1/10 of what he's done. But:

Kristallnacht from 1992. His composed ensemble work marking a final consolidation of his coming to terms with his Jewish background and upbringing. Being a student of the Shoah myself when I first heard this, it made an impeccable impression - and that near-12 minute noisepiece "Never Again" in particular. Consisting of dubbed and intertwining layers of high-frequent recordings of glass shatterings, its sole intention is to actually reach out from audio sonic realms and affect the physical body, which indeed it does if listened to for more than, say, two minutes. It stands out from the strictly scored, melodic charts of the remaining album, which is performed in real time by an ace sextet.

And then either Bar Kokhba (by Extended Masada, 1996) or Six Litanies for Heliogabalus (by the Moonchild Trio, 2007). The first one presents Zorn's finest entry into hypercharged jazz/New Music/klezmer-sonorities; full-on force and dynamic beyond imaginable. Heliogabalus, on the other hand, transgresses his former forays into improvised jazz-core and sets fresh standards of brute power in some densely ministered, impulsive pieces of immense attack and fury. This is one of the few instances where Zorn himself appears in a determining instrumental role with the Moonchild trio, IIRC.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Another thumbs up for Six Litanies for Heliogabalus

Hey moderator, punish that scrotum for scissoring the no commentary rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Hey moderator, punish that scrotum for scissoring the no commentary rule.
    Sorries. I've been away.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Always glad to read em’ and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Always glad to read em’ and learn.
    +1

Six Litanies for Heliogabalous
    Templars: In Sacred Blood

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    At The Mountains Of Madness
    The Painted Bird
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.