Thread: Roy Strattman, a miracle and a request for help

Roy Strattman, a miracle and a request for help

Dear friends,

My Little Atlas bandmate and friend, Roy Strattman, was brutally assaulted (stabbed multiple times in the lungs, heart, and chest) while visiting Minneapolis. He most certainly would not have survived if it hadn't been for the heroic efforts of the medical trauma team who saved his life. I need to leave details out given that this is an active criminal case, but know he was the innocent victim of a brutal crime. He is expected to recover, but his injuries are significant, and his progress is slow. Please consider supporting the Go Fund Me set up by his brother. It will allow him to focus on recovery with less stress about making ends meet.

The whole story is here along with how you can can help:
    https://www.gofundme.com/roystrattmanrecovery

I know many folks here have met Roy and/or enjoyed his amazing music. I'll try to update this thread on his recovery process.

Best,
    Steve Katsikas

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That's horrible news, and Roy's brother's description of it is very moving. I just made a contribution. There are a lot of people who need help right now, I'm happy to be able to help someone in the prog community. Best wishes to Roy and his family. To be honest, I've heard very little of Little Atlas' music, but I remember Louis Nasser of Sonus Umbra championing them. If the band should do something like release a download compilation of tracks to further assist Roy (good idea?), let us know. Thanks for posting this.

I'm there. OSK. How much does Roy have to endure in one lifetime?

Still up in the air about coming later this mo.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Awful news. Unfortunately I do not believe there are more good people in this world than bad. However, I'm pulling for just enough good to make a positive impact for Roy and family. I just donated. Good, fully restored health to you Roy.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I'm going to leave this on the main board for a while.

Roy is a member of PE, and he and Steve have been at the heart of domestic prog for a long time.

Rosfest appearance:
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ight=Strattman

His recent album:
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ight=Strattman
    and
    http://seaoftranquility.org/reviews....ntent&id=16113
    Regards,

Duncan

Wow......terrible news. I wish him the best.

This is so, so horrible. I just don't understand.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Jon Neudorf
    Damn, that is terribly sad. Sincerely wishing him all the best.

Jon

Donated. I've never heard Little Atlas, but will check them out know.

Time for the good side to take a "stand" already. Hopefully without "Captain Trips."

Donated.

Unexplained actions.

Donated. And praying...

One very simple but hopefully effective thing you can do is Tweet the GoFundMe page
    https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?tex...attmanrecovery

Donated. I've met Roy and he is a gentle kind human being. Sending healing vibes your way Roy. I hope those bastards get due justice.

Quick update:

Roy is continuing to make really good progress in his healing. He is able to walk for almost an hour at a time. All his stab wounds have closed. His lung functioning is continuing to improve every week as has his cardiac functioning. His overall pain level has returned to "tolerable" (his words, not mine, I'd whine like a baby). If all keeps on this pathway, he may be able to return to limited work later this month. I am blown away by the level of support from the progressive music community. Two of the assailants have been arrested, and legal proceedings will begin in early 2018. Let's hope that there is justice and the others involved in this senseless act of violence are caught.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    One very simple but hopefully effective thing you can do is Tweet the GoFundMe page
    https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?tex...attmanrecovery
    Shared to my nearly 5,000 Twitter followers. Will also donate, but hope this spreads the word. I’m afraid I’m shamelessly unaware of Roy and the band (something I’ll remedy),but this is just too senseless, too horrific not to pitch in a (hopefully) helping hand.

My best wishes to Roy, family and friends. This must just be plain awful and painful to have happen to a friend, loved one and/or musical compatriot....or, for that matter, to any human being.

EDIT: I just posted it on my Facebook page as well. Hopefully both will help, even if only a little.
    Last edited by jkelman; 11-11-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

For those of you not familiar with Roy's music, here's a video from the debut performance of "Strattman", Roy's solo project (backed up by members of Little Atlas + Eric, his brother-in-law).

Thanks again to all who have supported Roy and his recovery. Every week shows progress!

Steve

I'm glad Roy is progressing. This really hurt my heart to hear about. Such a brutal world sometimes...

Sorry to hear about this. I've seen Little Atlas a few times when they were in Miami. Hope he makes it.