Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tangent/Karmakanic

The Tangent/Karmakanic

This tour should be rolling through here at the end of the month but I wasn't happy hearing that elements of both bands will be playing each other's songs. In short, I think we may lose the true flavor of both bands. I'm looking forward to seeing Andy as I think he is one of the best at writing epics. Have both band lineups been decided as yet and how have they sounded on tour so far?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Have they released tour dates?

Hmm, I see in addition to ProgStock another show in NJ. No New York?

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    This tour should be rolling through here at the end of the month but I wasn't happy hearing that elements of both bands will be playing each other's songs. In short, I think we may lose the true flavor of both bands. I'm looking forward to seeing Andy as I think he is one of the best at writing epics. Have both band lineups been decided as yet and how have they sounded on tour so far?
    I think it is just economics. They will break even at best, so it makes sense to have as many guys as possible playing in both bands. Looking forward to 'em at Progtoberfest!

I thought they were essentially sharing the same exact lineup similar to the Agents of Mercy/Karmakanic "Power Of Two" tour from a few years ago. But I haven't followed the situation that closely.
    <sig out of order>

Orcopian
    I'm seeing them at the summersend festival this weekend, really looking forward to it. The line-up is pretty much the same for both bands, except that karmakanic have Goran Edman on vocals and I believe for the festival dates Theo travis is part of the tangent. So it's Jonas on bass, Andy t on keys and vocals, Luke machin guitar and Steve Roberts (godsticks.
    /magenta) on drums. So no lalle Larsson this time. The original plan was to have the keyboard/vocalist from maschine as well but that fell through.

This show needs to be seen!

October 15 - Progstock - Rahway, NJ
    October 21 - Progtoberfest - Chicago, IL
    October 22 - Shank Hall - Milwaukee, WI
    October 24 - Token Lounge - Detroit, MI
    October 26 - Roxy & Dukes, Dunellen, NJ

Six Musicians - Two Repertoires - One Hell of a Show! - I wish I could see this but this is no where near me - best I could do was pre-order live album - hope others go on my behalf and tell us all about it.

I intend to be at the Sunday, Oct 22nd show in Milwaukee. I had the pleasure of spending some time with Andy, Sally & Luke a few years back in Quebec City at a Terra Incognita festival. The Tangent had a horrible time onstage because a baggage handler had obviously through his negligence screwed up Andy's pc and patches and he had to change them on the fly between songs. Under the circumstances, they were impressively professional. Back at the hotel, while a friend and I were commiserating with Andy & Sally, the conversation turned, amazingly enough, to doowop, which is a passion of mine (and was also a passion of FZ's- see Ruben & the Jets) and turns out is also loved by Andy. Since I grew up in NYC and sang it starting at 12, he wanted to hear about growing up in NYC in the late 50s and street corner singing.

I love both bands (Nick's HW not so much), and have spoken with Jonas before at a couple of Rosfests, but the main reason I'm going is to see Andy, and I really hope Sally is traveling on the tour.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I will be at the Progtoberfest show. I think the new Tangent album is outstanding and agree that Tillison is one of the best prog lyric writers out there these days.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I intend to be at the Sunday, Oct 22nd show in Milwaukee. I had the pleasure of spending some time with Andy, Sally & Luke a few years back in Quebec City at a Terra Incognita festival. The Tangent had a horrible time onstage because a baggage handler had obviously through his negligence screwed up Andy's pc and patches and he had to change them on the fly between songs. Under the circumstances, they were impressively professional. Back at the hotel, while a friend and I were commiserating with Andy & Sally, the conversation turned, amazingly enough, to doowop, which is a passion of mine (and was also a passion of FZ's- see Ruben & the Jets) and turns out is also loved by Andy. Since I grew up in NYC and sang it starting at 12, he wanted to hear about growing up in NYC in the late 50s and street corner singing.

I love both bands (Nick's HW not so much), and have spoken with Jonas before at a couple of Rosfests, but the main reason I'm going is to see Andy, and I really hope Sally is traveling on the tour.
    I hope the upcoming performances are redeeming for Andy and crew (after the QC thing). What was cool about the QC show was how the band turned into a 3-piece fusion band (with Luke's amazing guitar playing) while Andy tried to work through his technical issues.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I hope the upcoming performances are redeeming for Andy and crew (after the QC thing). What was cool about the QC show was how the band turned into a 3-piece fusion band (with Luke's amazing guitar playing) while Andy tried to work through his technical issues.
    TOTALLY AGREE! That's probably what I meant by professional.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Spoke with Andy T a bit at Rosfest when Tangent played there 10-12 years ago. We talked about the Eyestrings (who played that year too) - Discipline connection, and Andy expressed admiration for Discipline, calling Unfold Like Staircase a classic (or words to that effect). I thought that was cool, so I wonder if they have shared a bill since? I know they will at Progtoberfest, but I doubt he'll be able to catch Discipline's set Sunday afternoon, since Tang-akanic is playing Milwaukee that night. But, that's only about an hour and half drive, so who knows.

Looking forward to both Karmakanic and Tangent in Chicago, but I'd also prefer if Karma had Lalle L and Krister J with them.

Planning to attend the Milwaukee show. Mainly to see Andy who I have never had the pleasure of meeting, even though I did artwork for him some 10 years ago.

I can't make it any of these dates. Damn it. Huge Andy fan!!!
    The Prog Corner

No doubt my main intent is to see Andy. I have never seen him but hold him and The Tangent in such high regard. Could one say he is a pillar of the neo movement? As I've said in the past, I love epics and think he is one of the best at it. I've spoken with Jonas several times but the added treat will be to see Luke and Goran. Well, like another band has sang, "I would Have Waited forever".

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Looking forward to both Karmakanic and Tangent in Chicago, but I'd also prefer if Karma had Lalle L and Krister J with them.
    Sort of a fear I have that maybe a bit of the flavor of both bands might not come through but I do understand the situation of things here.

Orcopian
    just reflecting on last Sunday at Summersend, the music was off the scale but what made it such an enjoyable night was the interaction and the human side that came over from Andy and also Jonas and the connection they made. I just came away from the night with such a buzz. I have attended summersend for many years and the Sunday night normally sees the audience dwindling as people are generally so tired after 3 days standing and have long journeys home. At the end of the set last week I have NEVER seen such a big audience remaining . I have seen karmakanic at full power (with krister and lalle) but I can honestly say that the karmakanic songs were equally as good with this lineup. Praise is also well due to Steve Roberts who handled all the drum parts perfectly.

I'll be at the Roxy & Dukes show, can't wait!!!!

I have no doubts about this lineups ability to handle both bands tunes with ease. I understand they are intermingling songs from both bands into one set. Talk about a progressive approach. Should be interesting!

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

I saw them last night to close Progstock. TangeKanic was excellent playing two sets of Tangent and KarmaKanic songs.
    While Tangent songs didn't have any jazz instruments they still came off as very powerful because of High quality of musicianship of Andy and Jonas and the band. Andy stated it was a special evening for him as he had not been in the US since 2005 so go see them if you have the chance to see a great band TangeKanic!

From FB just now: :/

Dear all, I have just come off the phone with Andy who has asked me to let you know that the gig at Te Token Lounge in Detroit tomorrow (Tues 24th) has been cancelled due to low ticket sales. Anyone who has bought tickets should contact the venue for a refund. Andy is very upset of course as are all the guys, not because they will lose money and a hotel but because they really love to play and hate to let loyal fans down and they send huge apologies to those who will be disappointed by this last minute announcement - particularly annoying is that the promoter didn't have the decency to call and let the band know - they found out the same way I did, from a FB post by a fan..how awful for them, apparently this happened to Beardfish on their tour too so here's a word of warning to other bands who are planning gigs in the area - avoid this one unless you can be sure of good advance ticket sales - it is quite common for advance sales to be poor with prog gigs and people tend to turn up on the night (unfortunately because they are fairly confident that it won't be a sell out) so the promoter has most likely shot himself in the foot I really hope the message gets around, please share to any friends you know who planned to go we'd hate for them to have a wasted journey.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Thanks for posting. I had planned on attending, weather and other things permitting. With this and the Necromonkey/Luz De Riada cancellations, they're making it easy for me to avoid long drives and short nights.

I saw them last night in Milwaukee and it was an interesting night to say the least. Goran had a bad cold and throat problems, but soldiered on and did well under the circumstances in the 1st set, but Jonas had to fill in during the 2nd set, so they played mostly Tangent stuff 2nd set, and Andy too (tho' not as bad as Goran) also had a cold.

These guys are pros, and showed it last night. Luke has been scary good since he was 18 and still is. Had a chance to talk with Andy, Jonas & Luke, who seemed genuinely happy to see 2 familiar faces there (me and Rosfest Krista).

Sorry to all you Hawkwind fans, but we got bored & left a third of the way into their closing set.

They were brilliant at Progtoberfest and wonderful guys to boot. What a bummer about Detroit.

I was at the Milwaukee show as well. I finally got to see The Tangent & Andy Tillison! I did artwork for Andy some 10 years ago for the live DVD "Going Off On One", but have never met him. I made a big print of the art which he signed, and we had a nice talk in which he still remembers (and feels awful about) the big blunder he made by using a lo-res imagine of the art for the booklet. I spent months on the art, and it looked like crap in the booklet. But you know, 10 years ago it's all water under the bridge as they say. He signed the art "Andy Tillison in Hi-Res."

It was too bad about Goran losing his voice, but it was a good show with some more Tangent material I guess, which for me is all I'm familiar with. Andy also was not feeling very well, we stepped outside after the meet & greet so he could catch some fresh air which he needed. He looked like he was ready for to collapse. He did mention that he thought the Progfest the night before was better, that they were "on fire". He was also pissed about the Detroit show being cancelled.

I didn't stay for Hawkwind.... But hey Progeezer, how come we haven't met? I guess I'm expecting to see a guy in a black top hat. I did meet Krista there, she's a sweetheart.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I was at the Milwaukee show as well. I finally got to see The Tangent & Andy Tillison! I did artwork for Andy some 10 years ago for the live DVD "Going Off On One", but have never met him. I made a big print of the art which he signed, and we had a nice talk in which he still remembers (and feels awful about) the big blunder he made by using a lo-res imagine of the art for the booklet. I spent months on the art, and it looked like crap in the booklet. But you know, 10 years ago it's all water under the bridge as they say. He signed the art "Andy Tillison in Hi-Res."

It was too bad about Goran losing his voice, but it was a good show with some more Tangent material I guess, which for me is all I'm familiar with. Andy also was not feeling very well, we stepped outside after the meet & greet so he could catch some fresh air which he needed. He looked like he was ready for to collapse. He did mention that he thought the Progfest the night before was better, that they were "on fire". He was also pissed about the Detroit show being cancelled.

I didn't stay for Hawkwind.... But hey Progeezer, how come we haven't met? I guess I'm expecting to see a guy in a black top hat. I did meet Krista there, she's a sweetheart.
    I was the guy with the black fedora and Roger Dean t-shirt and was with Krista most of the time (she drove down Friday from Ashland and we hung out in Madison for the weekend. She (unknown to me at the time) phone video'd me singing Saturday night at a karaoke bar. I can't be responsible if she puts them up online.

Mountain Man - my guess is that last night wasn't the first time our 2 ships passed in the night at Shank or elsewhere!

I was the guy with the black fedora and Roger Dean t-shirt and was with Krista most of the time (she drove down Friday from Ashland and we hung out in Madison for the weekend. She (unknown to me at the time) phone video'd me singing Saturday night at a karaoke bar. I can't be responsible if she puts them up online.

Mountain Man - my guess is that last night wasn't the first time our 2 ships passed in the night at Shank or elsewhere!
    Yeah I know!! And I did see you talking with Krista, had no idea that was YOU!