Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Tangent/Karmakanic

That is so disappointing. Every time I think the Prog train is revving up something like this happens to make me realize that our beloved genre is nothing but a blip on a very large radar screen.

Sure wish I could have made it to the Milwaukee show but Detroit was/is closer.

Damn.
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I saw them last night in Milwaukee and it was an interesting night to say the least. Goran had a bad cold and throat problems, but soldiered on and did well under the circumstances in the 1st set, but Jonas had to fill in during the 2nd set, so they played mostly Tangent stuff 2nd set, and Andy too (tho' not as bad as Goran) also had a cold.

These guys are pros, and showed it last night. Luke has been scary good since he was 18 and still is. Had a chance to talk with Andy, Jonas & Luke, who seemed genuinely happy to see 2 familiar faces there (me and Rosfest Krista).

Sorry to all you Hawkwind fans, but we got bored & left a third of the way into their closing set.
    I agree with all of this. Interesting. Andy and Luke moved things along during the evening. Luke is as good as we have seen and I would think he has a great future. Andy, even with a cold, sounded good, was up in spirit but was totally professional. I also thought that Jonas' mix was a little weird. Kept fading in and out. Gorans voice was in the wood chipper but he managed to get through Message and the title track from Dot of which the band did an interesting version. Hope they come back here when the bands are at full power. Just wondering if anyone had ticket problems while it was being scanned?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I agree with all of this. Interesting. Andy and Luke moved things along during the evening. Luke is as good as we have seen and I would think he has a great future. Andy, even with a cold, sounded good, was up in spirit but was totally professional. I also thought that Jonas' mix was a little weird. Kept fading in and out. Gorans voice was in the wood chipper but he managed to get through Message and the title track from Dot of which the band did an interesting version. Hope they come back here when the bands are at full power. Just wondering if anyone had ticket problems while it was being scanned?
    We didn't. BTW, is there a reason you've never said hi to me (or rather is it my memory)?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Just wondering if anyone had ticket problems while it was being scanned?
    I had a bit of trouble, but it worked after a few tries. Others were having more trouble.

Andy, even with a cold, sounded good, was up in spirit but was totally professional.
    Yes, he did sound good. After the show he was totally spent though, not feeling well. After the meet & greet he stumbled outside with me and he looked like he was ready to roll into the van and crash. He said he had been sick the entire tour and he was pumping all kinds of meds to keep him going.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    We didn't. BTW, is there a reason you've never said hi to me (or rather is it my memory)?
    Yes, we did meet at least once. I remember it was by the bar close to the merch area. We were chatting and a third gentleman stopped by and called you by name. It's been some time and I'm trying to remember what show it was. Darn. Anyway, when you get Magic Pie to play here, I will certainly make it a formal occasion my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I had a bit of trouble, but it worked after a few tries. Others were having more trouble.

Yes, he did sound good. After the show he was totally spent though, not feeling well. After the meet & greet he stumbled outside with me and he looked like he was ready to roll into the van and crash. He said he had been sick the entire tour and he was pumping all kinds of meds to keep him going.
    Yes, after about 3 or 4 tries it worked. I think it was the last VDGG show here that it was a little cranky as well, come to think of it.

Yes, we did meet at least once. I remember it was by the bar close to the merch area. We were chatting and a third gentleman stopped by and called you by name. It's been some time and I'm trying to remember what show it was. Darn. Anyway, when you get Magic Pie to play here, I will certainly make it a formal occasion my friend.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

There are VERY FEW places that will book progressive rock bands besides the usual borderline "pay to play" sort of places that are easy to play in NYC and other places. You can see by the few tour dates on tours by Tangent/Karmakanic and District 97/Dave Kerzner Band that you are basically looking at some of the only places that will do so. When you wonder why Tangent/Karmakanic aren't playing New York-as Jed did way up above-all I can say is the best they can do-and most any other progressive rock band-is the places they have on their list. Drive the extra 30 miles and see them at the NJ Proghouse OR, next time, they won't even be able to play there. I get emails all the time to play a few different tiny venues in NYC, no problem. Thing is, it doesn't pay out until 20 people say your band's name at the front door and the place is a shoe box and/or has $12 draft beers. Even great bands that have set up tours such as ones I've mentioned really rely on all of us to be....accomodating. They won't say it like that. I just did.