Thread: Wolf Filth archive on Ubu web

Wolf Filth archive on Ubu web

There is probably an embarrassment of riches here but unfortunately I cant make specific recommendations since I know very little of it.

The only one I grabbed so far is the Roland Kayn sides. This is from the notes for that record:

AGP164 comprises a complete 24-bit, 44.1 kHz transcription of a remarkable 3LP collection of electronic music by Roland Kayn, who was born in Germany and was largely active in the Netherlands. Simultan: Cybernetic Project for 1-5 rooms, is one of his major works of electronic music, composed at the Instituut voor Sonologie, Rijksuniversiteit, Utrecht, and the Studio de Recherches et de Structurations Electroniques Auditives, Brussels. It was performed first in 1974 and released in Germany on what is now an out-of-print and very rare 3LP set on Colosseum Records (COLOS SM 1473).

This work is composed in what I would describe as the Utrecht style of electronic music, with sound elements that explore the boundaries between tone and noise, massed to produce dauntingly complex timbres, and with a strong emphasis on sustained tones (as opposed to the ping-poing sounds more characteristic of the Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Studio of that time). I recommend listening to it at a high enough volume to be disquieting (so to speak).

The work is described as being for 1-5 rooms, meaning that the sounds are to be simultaneously projected from multiple rooms in one building. It's not entirely clear from the notes how this is done. The original tapes were available with as many as 16 tracks, so perhaps some tracks were projected in one room and some in another. Having only a stereo version to work with, one could simultaneously play the piece in two or more rooms, starting from a different track in each room. This may be very different from what the composer intended, but it's an intriguing thought. One could for example do this in a series of different offices in a suite, or a series of different rooms in a residence hall.

The LPs transcribed for this installment are in excellent condition, and were provided through the exceptional generosity of an AGP partisan in the Netherlands. Because they contain electronic music of such complexity, I did not do any de-clicking, to avoid possible false positive changes to the data stream. The installment includes a PDF file with scans of the booklet that came with the set, with notes in both German and English.

Roland Kayn’s website: http://www.kayn.nl/

I gave it a listen over the last few days and can say it fairly wails!! If something can sound very primitive, but at the same time sound completely modern and futuristic, this fits the bill. I can easily recommend this to the few that have a penchant for this sort of stuff and...the person who wrote the above notes was not kidding when he said play it loud...it will create your own personal bedlam.

If anyone can recommend any of the other releases on this page, please do so...happy feeding!!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

it would also help if I posted the url:

http://ubu.com/sound/wolf.html

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

^ Very interesting archive, though your thread title "Wolf Filth" created expectations of Viking crust punk that were, perhaps fortunately, not fulfilled.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Roland Kayn l
    There is a 16 cd Roland Kayn box out.This might interest you.

http://www.soundohm.com/product/a-li...box/pid/30371/

A recent article about Roland Kayn.
    https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/09...f-electricity/

Interesting they include one "free jazz" album among all the heavy modern classical/new music entries.It reminded me that i haven't played my unauthorized cd-r of Ric Colbeck's The Sun Is Coming Up in a long while.Early this year it appeared that an authorized reissue of The Sun Is Coming Up was in the works, but it was kiboshed.Too bad, It's a damn fine album that deserves legit reissue.
    Last edited by walt; 10-03-2017 at 05:11 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide