Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Heldon - Heldon IV: Agneta Nilsson

FEATURED ALBUM: Heldon - Heldon IV: Agneta Nilsson

Heldon's catalog has always been somewhat enigmatic to me. It's difficult to pick a favorite and each of the albums carves a different slice into electronic music. So the choice of Agneta Nilsson to feature still is somewhat arbitrary. I know the fans will come out to play...

Review from ProgArchives
    This album starts to take a different direction to the groups first three albums. Leader Richard Pinhas is not doing as much Fripp-inspired guitar playing as on other albums, but drumming and percussion is now more important than before. There is also more of a 'rock' feel to some of the songs. By incorporating more of a rock sound, Heldon doesn't try to streamline their sound but the complete opposite: it makes the music more aggressive and sinister sounding. The line-up is never consistent and other than Pinhas, the only really noteworthy name is keyboardist Patrick Gauthier, who was a member of Magma at the time.

There are five tracks on the album, with four of them being titled "Perspective." Part I opens the album and is the most atmospheric and spacey song here. Steady electronic hi-hat and snare throughout. Strangely melodic in it's own way. It doesn't change much over the course of 10 minutes but is a great piece of minimalist electronic music anyway. "Perspective II" is mostly synth on arpeggiator mode with some cymbals and bell sounds. A sequencer pattern appears after a minute which gets louder and more dominant later on.

"Perspective III" starts with aggressive sounding sequencers and spacey arpeggiators. Then some noisy guitar joins in. Slowly it gets louder and more intense as it goes along. The guitar playing in the middle is more 'solo' oriented. Like part I this doesn't change much throughout. Both songs being very hypnotic. "Bassong" features no synths and no Pinhas! Just chorused guitars and some bass (or is it bass parts played on guitar?). Michel Ettori wrote this song and plays the guitars.

The first four tracks don't sound terribly different to earlier Heldon, but it's the last side-long track on the album that points the way to future albums. "Perspective IV" is itself divided into three parts. The first part is called just "Perspective IV" and opens with overdubbed guitars with at least one guitar keeping a steady picking style. Some synth squiggles enter. Eventually sequencers along with cymbals and bells are reprised from part II. The next part is called "Virgin Sweedish Blues" which is also a name of a song on the last album, It's Always Rock'n'Roll. This is a guitar riff backed by drums and bass. Heldon jams out and Pinhas solos away. Some synth soloing as well. The last part of the epic is called "Psylocybine." After the band fades away we get more sequencer patterns along with noises on cymbals and gong. Drums come in later and the sequencers get faster.

Agneta Nilsson is the middle ground between the earlier keyboard dominated albums and the later guitar-and-drums heavy albums. Sometimes this sounds like a more sinister Tangerine Dream mixed with a more jammy King Crimson. I would rate this a 3.5 but will bump it up to 4 stars. -zravkapt

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

First one I ever heard! I was a relative late-comer, so circa '78??
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I think the reviewer is confused. A variation of this album was released on LP in the USA as Heldon IV (without the Agneta Nilsson title). This version had the originally side-long "Perspective IV" cut down to seven minutes and the rest of the side taken up with two tracks from the previous album, "Virgin Swedish Blues" and "Psilocybine." That's the version he is reviewing.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Hadn't played this in ages... the side-longer is a real cracker, isn't it? Ends pretty abruptly though...

I've been listening to Stand By for the past week. What a great album that is! Will have to check out this one.

My first Heldon! I’d already kind of known about them, but when I saw this LP with its creepy airbrushed cover art, and the funky flow-chart on the back cover (Moogi le Moog!), I was intrigued. Being way into synths at the time, I ate this up. Moog for days, plus Pinhas wailing away on guitar on the flip. And then there’s “Interlude: Bassong,” which is a nice “Where did this come from and how does it relate to the rest of the album?” moment.

I still think the opening track, with all the slow droning, is still my favorite. Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Hadn't played this in ages... the side-longer is a real cracker, isn't it? Ends pretty abruptly though...
    I think the tape ran out.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Baader-Meinhof Blues
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just bought this one this weekend due to it being on sale at Cuneiform, will come back when I've listened to it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I think I heard this one, but it had a different artwork

Edit: apparently not... must be confused with another one...

Loved the Huerilla and Téia, than found the third one boring and too long... I guess I skipped this one on my way to Rêve, Interface and Stand By

Sooo, I will do my homework ASAP.
    Last edited by Trane; 10-02-2017 at 08:34 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

this one shows flashes of the brilliance that would come with Interface and their masterwork Stand By
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I've owned quite a few Heldon/Pinhas albums, but this is the only one I still have. Love that long nihilistic doom track...

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    This is basically my only problem with the album. Their first homerun (for me) in a nice string of stellar at bats.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    This is basically my only problem with the album. Their first homerun (for me) in a nice string of stellar at bats.
    I've always preferred their earlier work. Allez-Teia is my favorite by far.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I've always preferred their earlier work. Allez-Teia is my favorite by far.

Heh...that's always been my least favorite. I do like It's Always Rock N Roll and Electronic Guerilla though.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

It's a good one, but I much prefer Interface, Stand By, and Allez Teia.

I still have a sealed copy of this... the US version.

https://www.discogs.com/Heldon-IV/release/1148772
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I still have a sealed copy of this... the US version.

https://www.discogs.com/Heldon-IV/release/1148772
    So you can't really tell us how you feel about it then?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I think I heard Perspective IV on The Lost Barney Spoon, before I actually bought the album. I remember the host had to cut it off prematurely, because he apparently was used to the US LP version (ie the one that's only 7 minutes long) and didn't anticipate the CD version to be 20 minutes long, until he realized it wasn't ending where he expected it to, and he had to make a top of the hour station ID and do a PSA.

I think this was in my very first Wayside Music order, way back in 93 or 94. Great album, one of my favorites. Loved Pinhas' work right from the word go.