Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you listen to the radio?

Only NPR and mostly only in the car. I got sick of classic rock radio in the 90s and quit cold turkey. It revitalized a lot of records for me. Out here in the sticks the choices are either NPR, Jesus stations, country, classic rock, and more country, more Jesus. I know there's talk stations on the AM dial but they're all lunatics, barking at the moon and puckering their sphincters in fear.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Only NPR and even that is pretty sporadic. Never was one to listen to music on the radio though. Or watch TV. So yeah, I'm one of those who has no idea who any (or at least most) of the recently famous artists are.
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Only NPR and even that is pretty sporadic. Never was one to listen to music on the radio though. Or watch TV. So yeah, I'm one of those who has no idea who any (or at least most) of the recently famous artists are.
    Welcome to the club!

It's usually sports, or a jazz or classical station. There still is a button or two set for classic rock as they still play what they did when I started driving all those decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Welcome to the club!
    Yay!
    <sig out of order>

Our work vehicles only have AM/FM radios, not even a cassette interface. I finally broke down and got me an(other) FM transmitter*. “Classic rock” radio programming was seriously bringing me down. How many times a day does a person need to hear “You Give Love a Bad Name”?

*I had one for an old car that didn’t have an AUX or USB port on the stereo. When I “upgraded” I lent it to a friend...who promptly lost it in his pit of a house. When I started working for the parks service, I wished I had it back. Fortunately, they’re not expensive.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

So whatever most of us listen to, it seems we don't stray from that pattern much. I wonder what effect digital tuning has had on us discovering new stations. Somehow scanning for new stations, where you get two seconds to decide if you want to listen more, doesn't have the same feel as literally tuning in using a dial and finding something new. Come to think of it, I don't think I have 'discovered' any new radio stations in years.