Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Revisiting Anglagard's Viljans Öga

Listening to Viljans Öga again today while at work. It's a gray, dreary, rainy autumn day outside -- perfect for this kind of music!

Seriously, I need more of this stuff. That new Kotebel disc inhabits a similar sphere as well.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I need more of this stuff.
    Did you already hear the two Maxwell's Demon releases? Heavily Ängla-informed, albeit more disharmonic. SKE (Paolo Botta) also explored some Ängla-vibes on his monstrously fabulous 1000 Autunni from 2011. Perhaps some Deluge Grander as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Did you already hear the two Maxwell's Demon releases? Heavily Ängla-informed, albeit more disharmonic. SKE (Paolo Botta) also explored some Ängla-vibes on his monstrously fabulous 1000 Autunni from 2011. Perhaps some Deluge Grander as well.
    No sir, I haven't heard any of Maxwell's Demon. Sounds interesting though!

SKE is cool, listened to them on Spotify a while back but it has been a while. I need to pick that one up.

That first Deluge Grander disc had some really cool stuff on it. I need to revisit it. At the time I remember liking the first Birds And Buildings album more, as I got them around the same time. It had kind of a zeuhl, superjazz vibe going on that really jived with me.

There's some Anglagard-meets-Canterbury parts on that Ske album that really shiver my timbers.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

So, what's your opinion on VO? If you browse a bit further, you'll see that during your tormenting and unforgivable absence there were people pleading you to enlighten them...

That first Deluge Grander disc had some really cool stuff on it. I need to revisit it. At the time I remember liking the first Birds And Buildings album more, as I got them around the same time. It had kind of a zeuhl, superjazz vibe going on that really jived with me.
    There's a new Deluge Grander album coming out this month, Oceanarium. I listened to samples and it brings a whole new kosmigroov element to their music that I find really tasty. I think you might just dig it.

Bandcamp Profile

SKE is cool, listened to them on Spotify a while back but it has been a while. I need to pick that one up.
    It's a grower too. My first listen I was impressed, but... with repeated listenings I was... more impressed. Now I'm... most impressed. One of my very favorites.

the SKE album is great!

not impressed with Maxwell's or Deluge though
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The SKE is one of the finest albums of the last 10 years for me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    It's a grower too. My first listen I was impressed, but... with repeated listenings I was... more impressed. Now I'm... most impressed. One of my very favorites.
    +1

Seriously, I need more of this stuff.
    Someone should mention the recent Agusa. It's more folk-flavored than Anglagard but the instrumentation is very similar. Maybe not quite up to 1000 Autunni, but nonetheless an excellent album.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    There's a new Deluge Grander album coming out this month, Oceanarium. I listened to samples and it brings a whole new kosmigroov element to their music that I find really tasty. I think you might just dig it.
    Kosmigroov? Consider me intrigued! Oceanarium was already on my radar, but now I'm looking forward to it even more. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    the SKE album is great!

not impressed with Maxwell's or Deluge though
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The SKE is one of the finest albums of the last 10 years for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    +1
    Sounds like I need to just go order a copy of that SKE disc.

^ I believe 1000 Autunni is out of print on CD, but there have been rumours of a reissue with a bonus disc of live recordings. Don't know if that will actually happen, but if it did it would beat paying a high price on the second hand market.

Bandcamp Profile

The SKE disc did get some love on here when it was released. I didn't miss out. Beautiful album.

^ I believe 1000 Autunni is out of print on CD, but there have been rumours of a reissue with a bonus disc of live recordings. Don't know if that will actually happen, but if it did it would beat paying a high price on the second hand market.
    That would be cool. I saw one of their rare (only) live appearances in Milan in 2013, I would guess that would be the source, since they seem to make pro recordings of all the shows there, as you can see on AltrOck's Massimo Cataldi's YT page - I was at the recent Yugen / Miriodor show there and there are great clips from both sets :

Yugen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uUh2wshcvc&t=277s
    Miriodor : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCujG2JNVdc&t=5s
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

^ I believe 1000 Autunni is out of print on CD
    Those are actually great news! Whether 500, 750, 1000 or more copies - these are impressive numbers when considering the challenge of contents. It deserves tenfolds of interest, of course...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

15 above and windy, perfect day to spin this disc.

Any opinions of Prog Pa Svenska? Ken of LaserCD posted the it on his FB page, praising the sound.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Any opinions of Prog Pa Svenska? Ken of LaserCD posted the it on his FB page, praising the sound.
    I think it's very good indeed. Excellent performances of a cross-section of their material and as noted, it has good sound. Also there is one track, Introvertus Fugu, that has not been recorded elsewhere and it's a favourite of mine - it has some howling sax and growling Moog (I'd like to hear more of that from Anglagard and less mellotron and flute, which frankly I'm gettting a bit tired of ).

There is a proviso - if you like a live album to have a lot of spontaneity / jamming / improv, this is not one of those, but then again I don't think Anglagard have ever been that kind of band. Prog Pa Svenska won't change your mind on Anglagard, or make you see them in a new light, but if you like them then I think you are going to like the album.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 11-10-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Bandcamp Profile

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    There's been a little discussion of Anglagard on the thread about the Best Swedish Band, and someone there (I think) mentioned that Viljans Oga is their favorite Anglagard album. This surprised me, but it got me to listen pretty carefully to the album for the first time in a while, and I think that it MIGHT be my favorite as well! It's really, really good. The other two are classics, but in some ways Viljans Oga seems more adventurous. In some ways it's also a little more "accessible" than I'd thought, while still being adventurously different from the first two albums, if that makes any sense.

I love how Mattias looks in the band photos! It's not funny but it is. He looks like a prisoner - what he's wearing, and his expression. And it seems like that's somewhat how he felt.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I love how Mattias looks in the band photos! It's not funny but it is. He looks like a prisoner - what he's wearing, and his expression. And it seems like that's somewhat how he felt.
    Have you seen the film about the making of the album? If so you’ll know why he looked pissed off.

Bandcamp Profile

I gave this a fresh spin recently as a result of that other thread as well (that was the Sinkadus thread, iirc). I still feel about how I did when I did my intense listen a few years ago. I still absolutely HATE the last track. It was a mistake to have spun the whole album. I should have just stuck with my CDR that eliminates that track. Otherwise, I basically enjoyed it, and really enjoyed some parts.

I spun All Traps on Earth a day later, and, to me, that is a far better and more compelling album. If VO is someone's favorite Anglagard, that's fine with me. I like it, but it's never done for me what the first two did, and still do, and I doubt it ever will.

Bill

It's been over a year since I last heard Viljans Oga, but I do like this disc. I don't remember anything in particular about that last track though. Why do you hate it, Bill? Maybe my memory needs refreshed.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Why do you hate it, Bill? Maybe my memory needs refreshed.
    I find it cloying, and pretty cliched. Some of it sounds like a bad Disney soundtrack to me. I especially dislike that kind of circus ending... like we haven't heard that a zillion times before. It just feels like Anglagard mailed in this track, and for me, it just adds nothing after Snårdom, which I think ends the record beautifully.

Bill

I would rate their studio albums as follows:

1. Epilog (Yes really! Huge fan of this one.)
    2. Viljans Öga
    3. Hybris

They are all plain amazing though!

Also, I can't recommend the All Traps on Earth release enough. Truly a must have!

Love Viljians and also the final track "Langtans Klocka". Beautiful composing and sonics. Bass guitar is ferocious and Anna's flute is gorgeous. Every piece on those three albums are in the 'really, really dig' or 'love 'category for me. They were the best at this sort of thing.