Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Revisiting Anglagard's Viljans Öga

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

So I'm definitely starting to hear some things in context that I was missing before. The extra attention has paid off.
    Kewl. IMO this is not an album that you're gonna "get it all" in 2-3 spins, its just too dense and there are too many ideas floating around. To The Bone....perhaps. This...perhaps not. Like I said before, it took me at least 5, but at around 10 consecutive spins in the car is when I really made the connection. I can at least "hear" all four tunes now in my head at this point, not the entire things of course, but rather the main themes ideas, and how they develop, so its in my meatball at this point. Same with the other two albums. I Know Epilog like Trump knows Twitter. Keep going man, try to go for 10!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Another spin stoup-to-nuts. What can I say? Love it. Its flippin' great, all 4 tunes have fantastic moments, but the final track really hit me the most this time. My favorite track is still two, but four stood out. LOVE the faux klezmer/carnival section, sorry Bill to disappoint you - I can't help it - I tried to hate it, but I lost and gave in.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Another spin stoup-to-nuts. What can I say? Love it. Its flippin' great, all 4 tunes have fantastic moments, but the final track really hit me the most this time. My favorite track is still two, but four stood out. LOVE the faux klezmer/carnival section, sorry Bill to disappoint you - I can't help it - I tried to hate it, but I lost and gave in.
    Hey, I'm happy you like it, though your tastes tend to lean toward the drunken klezmer-polka-carnival style anyway, so why am I not surprised?

I'm going to try my "reduced" version on Wednesday and see if it works better. I'm optimistic. It's all good.

Cheers,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    the drunken klezmer-polka-carnival style anyway, so why am I not surprised?

Bill
    If you can't get enough, check out The Black Rider by Waits

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    This album is definitely their most "through-composed" (as someone else put it), certainly the most dense in terms of musical ideas. I'm glad this topic came up though, as I haven't heard it in at least a year and want to break it out again now, so thanks for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Newman View Post
    I think this record is too easily dismissed because its appeal is not as immediate as the band's previous efforts. It rewards subsequent listens, which is a measure of many great records.
    VO definitely needs time and attention. It's not highway tunes for the short attention span folk
    I like it just as much as the other 2 and wish they'd do another!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I like it just as much as the other 2 and wish they'd do another!
    Well, "they" seem to want to do another, but it's a different line-up now, with two key members missing. Thomas Johnson on keyboards, I believed for a long time was the main composer of all their material with Jonas Engdegard (who has been back a couple of years after initially opting out when Tord Lindman returned), but I understand it was more of a group effort than that, so maybe his absence is less of major loss than I initially thought. Mathias Olsson is also much missed, though his replacement is very good, and anyway, he's moved on to doing more forward-looking music than the rest of Anglagard seemed intent on doing, so maybe there was no future for them together.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Mathias Olsson is also much missed, though his replacement is very good, and anyway, he's moved on to doing more forward-looking music than the rest of Anglagard seemed intent on doing, so maybe there was no future for them together.
    that docu-video posted above was quite eye opening!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    The final chapter is quite a revealing one about how the band worked and what could have been
    We would have had more cowbell for one.

First track on Hybris is a monster. Love the pipe organ section. Bass and drums are recorded so in your face, its beautiful! The Necromonkey kicks all sorts of Swedish ass (Svenskass) on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    that docu-video posted above was quite eye opening!
    Indeed and what a damn shame. I would pay good money to hear Mattias' mix of the album. Convinced it would have been considerably more awesome than what we got!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

First track on Hybris is a monster. Love the pipe organ section. Bass and drums are recorded so in your face, its beautiful! The Necromonkey kicks all sorts of Swedish ass (Svenskass) on this one.
    Epilog and VO are objectively better. But if someone threatened my not-so-svenskarse with extinction, I would grab two daughters and Hybris and flee the house with the absolute necessary to continue existence.

Indeed it is. Having dived into the catalog over the weekend, I'm inclined to agree with those who enjoy all 3 albums equally. I probably get more mileage out of Hybris and V.O. than Epilog these days, whereas when I was younger I would have, and did actually, prefer the dynamics of Epilog.

Dang it! Now I have to get V.O. so I can stop feeling so left out.

Have both Hybris and Epilog, and really like them both but it has been years since I've heard them. Need to go dust those off and give them another spin.

I recall a very specific vibe when listening to Epilog, in that it seemed to evoke images of dark Scandinavian forests and elicit an eerie sense of foreboding. I loved that.

I thought I had posteed in this thread, but apparently I most likely forgot to "send the post"

I believe I was one of the very first one to have the Ogan release (a least in Continental Europe), because I had an advanced pressing or sumthin' of the sort. Can't remember how I managed that but I had burglary threats because I hadn't kept quiet about it. Most of my buddies had to wait a few months to finally get it at home.

I loved it as much as the first two right away, though with repeated listens, the last track with the Klemer ending that was following the endlessly-repeated Michelle riff (Beatles) riff soon got on my nerves

Haven't heard it since it jumped off my rotation, but indeed, time for a reappraisal, but obviously (to moi, anyways), I will always prefer Hybris to Epilog and Ogan.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Indeed and what a damn shame. I would pay good money to hear Mattias' mix of the album. Convinced it would have been considerably more awesome than what we got!
    I'd really like to hear that too. They might even make some money from it.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Epilog and VO are objectively better. But if someone threatened my not-so-svenskarse with extinction, I would grab two daughters and Hybris and flee the house with the absolute necessary to continue existence.
    Two daughters out of how many total?
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Two daughters out of how many total?
    As far as my knowledge goes, two.

Listened to all three last night and I can honestly say I love all three equally but if I had a gun to my head I'd pick VO. All four tracks just click with me. The themes are more memorable.
    The Prog Corner

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I have to admit that I have not done the research, but does anyone know if any of the tracks on Viljans Oga came from "New Song 1" and "New Song 2" that Anglagard played at NEARfest 2003?
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Dang it! Now I have to get V.O. so I can stop feeling so left out.

Have both Hybris and Epilog, and really like them both but it has been years since I've heard them. Need to go dust those off and give them another spin.

I recall a very specific vibe when listening to Epilog, in that it seemed to evoke images of dark Scandinavian forests and elicit an eerie sense of foreboding. I loved that.
    If you dig the first two, then I would say its a must to have the "new" one. Knowing you, there is about a 0.00% chance you will dislike it. And the stuff you wrote about forests, eerie, blah, blah.....right on the mark

Perfect autumn vibe too, these albums work the best for me during the cold months.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I have to admit that I have not done the research, but does anyone know if any of the tracks on Viljans Oga came from "New Song 1" and "New Song 2" that Anglagard played at NEARfest 2003?
    Yes : they are "Längstans Klocka" and "Sorgmantel".
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Yes : they are "Längstans Klocka" and "Sorgmantel".
    Very nice. Thanks!
    Chad

If you dig the first two, then I would say its a must to have the "new" one. Knowing you, there is about a 0.00% chance you will dislike it. And the stuff you wrote about forests, eerie, blah, blah.....right on the mark

Perfect autumn vibe too, these albums work the best for me during the cold months.
    That's very encouraging! I'm gonna snap up a copy from one of the usual places on my next order. It's cool that Thomas Johnson was back on keys for V.O. -- I'm a big fan of his playing with both Thieves Kitchen and (of course) Anglagard.

Also, I'm glad my comments on the sound/mood of their music weren't completely bonkers.

You're right, it's perfect music for autumn.

Yep, definitely so.

Finally giving Viljans Öga a spin for the first time, along with some Glenfiddich XX.