Thread: The Door's Strange Days at 50.

The Door's Strange Days at 50.

The Doors second album, "Strange Days" turned 50 this week, released on September 25, 1967. We're celebrating it tonight on Echoes in a #Flashback50 and I also wrote some thoughts on this seminal album.
    https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-cYp

My favorite Doors album. Never tire of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never tire of ANY Doors. In fact, I just listened to the Matrix recordings yesterday.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I never tire of them either. Easily my favorite American rock band.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    When the music's over, turn out the light.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I love the first 3 albums. Soft Parade and forth doesn't have many tracks I appreciate.

I love Soft Parade. I'd say LA Woman is my least favorite. The debut is tops with me. And "Break on Through" as the opening tracks was a perfect entry into our consciousness.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

1) 1st s/t
    2) Strange Days
    3) LA Woman
    4) Waiting For The Sun

The first LP went for the jugular, Strange Days for the head. The vibe is definitively '67. Dug it then, dig it now.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    1) 1st s/t
    2) Strange Days
    3) LA Woman
    4) Waiting For The Sun
    LA Woman
    début
    SD

the rest.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I loved The Doors when I was first getting into rock music. My excitement has cooled a bit since then, but I still dig them. My favorite is far and away LA Woman and it's the one I listen to the most. After that, I like the first two, of which Strange Days I might prefer by a nod. I haven't spun either in ages, so I'll dig those out for a fresh listen.

Waiting for the Sun, Soft Parade, and Morrison Hotel all have great stuff on them, but I find them a bit inconsistent. Side 1 of Morrison Hotel is killer, but for me it drops off dramatically after that. There was a period I spun Soft Parade obsessively, and there is stuff on that album I love (Wild Child, Wishful Sinful, and the title track stand out to me). But I'm not as fond of Running Blues and some other stuff. My least favorite is probably Waiting for the Sun, which sounds like the band had temporarily run out of good ideas, to me.

Anyway, happy birthday Strange Days. I was just shy of four when it was released, and my wife was incubating.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Waiting for the Sun, Soft Parade, and Morrison Hotel all have great stuff on them, but I find them a bit inconsistent. Side 1 of Morrison Hotel is killer, but for me it drops off dramatically after that. There was a period I spun Soft Parade obsessively, and there is stuff on that album I love (Wild Child, Wishful Sinful, and the title track stand out to me). But I'm not as fond of Running Blues and some other stuff. My least favorite is probably Waiting for the Sun, which sounds like the band had temporarily run out of good ideas, to me.

Bill
    Indeed those three track manage to save the album, especially the title track (probably their "proggiest" moment), but it's as if The Doors were aiming at BS&T and Electric Flag, with those tons of brass stuff.

Could never really get into MH myself, as the only track I really dig is Roadhouse Blues. I almost prefer Other Voices to it.
    WFTS has only Not To Touch The Earth, Spanish Caravan and Five to One that do much to me, but I've heard them enough for three of my lifetimes.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    When the music's over, turn out the light.
    Together with "Music Is Your Only Friend..... Until The End" certainly a quote I used a lot.
    "Strange Days" is my favorite too, indeed more to the heart.
    I once made a tape with all the slow Doors-songs officially released and I played that more than any Doors-album.
    Later I found almost all songs on the tracklisting from one of the disks of Love/Death/Travel.

I prefer it to the debut. Horse Latitudes is stupid, but it doesn't ruin the album. When the Music's over beats The End.

The only Doors album that ever stood out as being superlative to me was LA Woman - too bad Morrison didn't stick around long enough to record a follow-up.

My favorite Doors album and one of my favorite albums ever. I guess you could say they closed out the Summer of Love with this album.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    My favorite Doors album and one of my favorite albums ever.
    Same here. I've had it on vinyl and CD and have traded it away and got it back. Now I've got it electronically.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I never tire of ANY Doors. In fact, I just listened to the Matrix recordings yesterday.
    I disagree with you on a lot of stuff, but we have this in common. I never tire of them either.

I've pre-ordered this. it comes on next month: https://www.amazon.com/Strange-Days-.../dp/B075VGX1DV
    also, if anyone would like a copy of this with a bit of an upgrade, let me know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWYb...rvationChannel

Strange Days is my favorite of the Doors albums, though I love all of them, including their after-Morrison stuff. The first 3 albums I love the most. I will try to get that 50 Anniversary edition of SD - have never heard if they made the same of the first album.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    (..)I will try to get that 50 Anniversary edition of SD - have never heard if they made the same of the first album.
    https://store.thedoors.com/products/...ssue-3-cd-1-lp