Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Fanfare 1970-2010" - 24 Disc Box Box 10/27/2017

"We're going to give you the works!"
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    "We're going to give you the works!"
    That's nobody's Rondo but the Turks'.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^^^ Alas, there's no nostalgia money for Palmer in going the route of those neat jazzy things. At least he's doing some pretty creative things with the old material.
    Last edited by Sturgeon's Lawyer; 10-01-2019 at 11:56 AM.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Hi there, second time writing in PE and on the same band.Because of the threads about Elp first album 50 anniversary and the Works albums I decide to revisit one of my favourite prog bands and in doing so bought the Anthology 4 vinyl LP box(I am now in a vinyl craze).Well, don't do as I did,the box is gorgeous,the best songs are there(almost) but the vinyl quality leaves a lot to be desired.Very noisy and with numerous pops.A shame...

Quote Originally Posted by erosblue View Post
    Hi there, second time writing in PE and on the same band.Because of the threads about Elp first album 50 anniversary and the Works albums I decide to revisit one of my favourite prog bands and in doing so bought the Anthology 4 vinyl LP box(I am now in a vinyl craze).Well, don't do as I did,the box is gorgeous,the best songs are there(almost) but the vinyl quality leaves a lot to be desired.Very noisy and with numerous pops.A shame...
    But, but, but I thought vinyl was supposed to be the superior format.

Quote Originally Posted by erosblue View Post
    You're *playing* the *vinyl*??? Are you crazy???? It's not for playing, it's for looking at...and fondling...

Yes,all timer here.I like to "play" my vinyls.It just that this box has bad quality vinyl pressing.The King Crimson and Yes Steven Wilson boxes are miles better than this.

There's been some sort of re-release of this Fanfare box, and now there's this live CD box:

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...ae4e8a7749f119

Mostly a repackage of the live albums not previously re-released by BMG, so Isle Of Wight/California Jam/Works Live/Royal Albert Hall. There's also the 'bonus' of an (I think?) unreleased late 90s show.

Thanks for sharing this link, JJ - I hadn't known of the "Wheeling, WV show that was recently released as a semi-official radio broadcast bootleg" - I just purchased this, & whilst the sound quality isn't perfect, it's still pretty good - & the performance is certainly comparable to, if not better than, the Nassau show that was released a few years back. It must have been a strange experience, playing gigs night after night, in effect to pay off the debts incurred from the (financially) disastrous orchestra experiment...but, from all the evidence of the official & bootleg recordings, they still turned in pretty impressive performances (although, occasionally, I get the impression that Emerson rushes his solo piano spots - especially the Piano Concerto excerpts).

Some of that Wheeling show was the basis for that King Biscuit Live CD, I think. IMHO that particular King Biscuit edit of the show should have come out instead of the poor, mish-mash In Concert album. It had trio versions of some of the then-new tracks, and it didn't duplicate anything on previous live albums. I've always quite liked the arrangement they did of 'Peter Gunn' as well. So it does offer something the studio albums of the time did not.

There's another multi-track from that part of the tour, Memphis I think it is.

I have that Memphis show, but I think the version I have is a Dime download - at any rate, as recall, the sound quality is another step down (although I may well be misremembering!)

I think both of those full shows came via that Wolfgang's Vault thing, which I believe were only ever MP3.

One of those Bootleg Series releases had a bit of Wheeling on it, but even fewer tracks than the King Biscuit version had.

I don't have those bootleg boxes anyway, but I do find it odd how none of the discs used any recordings from the orchestral tour. The MSG one I've heard is a pretty good recording, really.

Yes, I do agree about the MSG shows - you get a much better sense of the power of the sound of the band + orchestra - far more so than on either Works Live or the Olympic Stadium vid.

The Montreal tracks on Works Live sound horrible. Clearly there were major sonic issues with those tapes. Works Live is also very oddly sequenced, and lacks 'Pirates' altogether.

The Montreal video is better but ISTR it was only mono- at least, mine was! The MSG is a considerably longer show from memory.

I have heard another show- Des Moines?- which had a slightly different set, including 'From The Beginning'. I remember it was the last night of the actual orchestra tour, the orchestra only appeared at select shows thereafter.

I'll stick with the double cd 'best of' that I have.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Brought this box out again, as recent discussion on Pete Pardo's show with Ken Golden and others gave me the ELP itch again.

Anyone know if there was any kind of consensus (on the Hoffman forums perhaps) regarding the remastering of the classic albums? Compared to Wislon's remixed versions, or the other gazillion other releases of them over the years?

Going over this box again now is helpful, because it's made me feel much more certain that I don't need that big Caravan box. I have all the Caravan releases I need, including that recent smaller box set.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Going over this box again now is helpful, because it's made me feel much more certain that I don't need that big Caravan box. I have all the Caravan releases I need, including that recent smaller box set.
    You're gonna regret this one day... One day there will be a Fondle-fest of the Caravan Box set and you'll be on the outside looking in!

Don't forget the Fantastic hardbound book included.....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    You're gonna regret this one day... One day there will be a Fondle-fest of the Caravan Box set and you'll be on the outside looking in!

Don't forget the Fantastic hardbound book included.....
    Nah...for some reason Caravan is a band where I have little interest in live recordings. And between the recent box set and the 2 CD anthology which I've had for ages (and the remastered CDs as well), I'm set - even for booklets! Good try though!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Nah...for some reason Caravan is a band where I have little interest in live recordings. And between the recent box set and the 2 CD anthology which I've had for ages (and the remastered CDs as well), I'm set - even for booklets! Good try though!
    An Orangutan who stands by his Convictions!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

His convictions? So there's priors?

We all do!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    His convictions? So there's priors?
    I wasn't the fondler, your honor!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The Montreal tracks on Works Live sound horrible. Clearly there were major sonic issues with those tapes. Works Live is also very oddly sequenced, and lacks 'Pirates' altogether.

The Montreal video is better but ISTR it was only mono- at least, mine was! The MSG is a considerably longer show from memory.

I have heard another show- Des Moines?- which had a slightly different set, including 'From The Beginning'. I remember it was the last night of the actual orchestra tour, the orchestra only appeared at select shows thereafter.
    I was also very surprised to see that Pirates was not on the Works live album (not even on the expanded 2 CD!) mainly because it was the show's finale climax.

I did see Pink Floyd at Olympic stadium in Montreal but missed the ELP Works tour that I saw at MSG-NYC with orchestra and was very impressed, I wonder if there are any bootlegs out there from that show (or 2 shows in July 1977)? I guess that Des Moines show could be among the boots.

I'd like to see a nice spiffed up 72 Mar Y Sol show - like that one.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I the ELP Works tour that I saw at MSG-NYC with orchestra and was very impressed,
    Third date with my wife. I think I impressed her with my good taste in music.