Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Fanfare 1970-2010" - 24 Disc Box Box 10/27/2017

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post
    Kinda funny that even though a few fans have posted they've received theirs, there has been no feedback I can find on FB or other fan sites commenting on Pocono 72 or the Italy 73 LP/s
    The above still holds true, interestingly enough

^And those are about the best thing on there, on paper at least. I think gojikranz mentioned a little about them like two songs on one side but nothing specific.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The box feels beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I just noticed the number of boxes left went up from somewhere well south of 100 to 105. Guess some people got cancellations in just before they shipped.

count me as one

I cancelled mine about a month ago
    2trevorsforlife

The box feels beautiful.
    Kinky
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Kinky
    Going to take a lot more than that to get me interested.

The box feels beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Going to take a lot more than that to get me interested.
    The box goes to a small, New England college, and never thought of herself as someone who would be part of a threesome. But last weekend, after the football game, she, the UK box, and Gilmour Live at Pompeii had a few drinks in a campus dive bar...

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post
    Kinda funny that even though a few fans have posted they've received theirs, there has been no feedback I can find on FB or other fan sites commenting on Pocono 72 or the Italy 73 LP/s
    just haven't had a chance to put the vinyl on yet.

Pocono is very similar to mar y sol. since mar y sol has very good sound already I don't find Pocono to be all that essential but if you love that period I don't think you will be disappointed from a sound quality perspective. personally when it comes to trilogy shows I prefer some of the bootlegs on manticore vaults yes lower sound quality but endless enigma (and occasionally other lesser played tunes) make it worthwhile.

ok had a listen to the vinyl. my vinyl setup is far far from audiophile so I don't wanna really talk sound quality sounded fine to me. one disc had a little tic in it but that is probably just luck of the draw.

individually songs are all solid the early karn evil interesting and pictures has some unique bits that were probably only done this tour. but the entirety feels kinda slapped together which it is from multiple shows.

having to flip the vinyl helps a lot because in most cases each side only holds on track but the sides with multiple tracks it fades to silence between tracks.

this is worst on the side with only still you turn me on and lucky man where you know they were played in sequence on the night but for somereason they have picked different nights so it goes to silence then comes back with lucky man.

also they included they very end piano bits of take a pebble before still you turn me on which begs the question why on earth not include it? maybe there was tape damage or something but surely fans would prefer a complete performance rather than coming in in the middle especially given that side of vinyl runs about 9 minutes so there was plenty of room for even a damaged song. also in the middle of still you turn me on greg yells something about a "noisy fucker". interesting to hear this outburst but clearly not a perfect take of the song, how bad could the other one have been that would have run seamlessly into their pick of lucky man?

so as expected a bit of a mess what is there is cool but it sure feels like something better could have been done. I am sure someday in ten years we will get live in Italy warts and all boxset or something to fix it.

^How odd that apparently good sounding multi-track live material has stayed in the vaults so long.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^How odd that apparently good sounding multi-track live material has stayed in the vaults so long.
    it is strange maybe the damage to the other portions is greater than we imagine given the quality of what is here but still given how they have released multiple recordings even bootleg level of all other tours why this particular tour has remained under wraps until now (and even now only in vinyl) is strange.

also had a read through the book I imagine it is the same notes as the individual cds just put together in one book each album gets a page of notes.

there is then a quite extensive gallery of single covers of which I noted they include the single cover for peter gunn the song of which is nowhere to be found on this "comprehensive" boxset...

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post

so as expected a bit of a mess what is there is cool but it sure feels like something better could have been done. I am sure someday in ten years we will get live in Italy warts and all boxset or something to fix it.
    Thank you, it sounds like a mess indeed

9 min a side?

No thanks

I did get the box myself, and am generally fairly happy with it.

There is an error with the blu-ray disc though, the Trilogy surround mix thinks that Abaddon's Bolero is a bonus track, not part of the album. Not a big deal, as it's still on the disc, but when the album stopped before that song, I was a bit surprised.

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    I did get the box myself, and am generally fairly happy with it.

There is an error with the blu-ray disc though, the Trilogy surround mix thinks that Abaddon's Bolero is a bonus track, not part of the album. Not a big deal, as it's still on the disc, but when the album stopped before that song, I was a bit surprised.

Mike
    I saw somewhere else that they may make a replacement available for it. if I hear about it I will post info here.

Hello,first post here from Argentina.Received my box five days ago and couldn't be more happy with it.I really don't understand the complaints.The box is beautiful,the vinyl is wonderful,soundwise and the(compiled)concert.Yes the bonus tracks are missing but they're mostly superfluous(remixes and live concerts we already have).Also includes several live cds we don't have with excellent sound again.All the original cds are the best sounding remasters and don't forget the bluray with ALL the 5.1 mixes available.So I'm a happy fan with a very nice item with book,singles,programs,etc.What more could you ask for?
    Last edited by erosblue; 11-05-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erosblue View Post
    Hello,first post here from Argentina.Received my box five days ago and couldn't be more happy with it.I really don't understand the complaints.The box is beautiful,the vinyl is wonderful,soundwise and the(compiled)concert.Yes the bonus tracks are missing but they're mostly superfluous(remixes and live concerts we already have).Also includes several live cds we don't have with excellent sound again.All the original cds are the best sounding remasters and don't forget the bluray with ALL the 5.1 mixes available.So I'm a happy fan with a very nice item with book,singles,programs,etc.What more could you ask for?
    Welcome! All the way from Argentina! Glad you are happy with your set. I'm overall happy with mine too. I think we are always looking for a boxed set that will allow us to sell off or dispose of our individual disks without sacrificing anything, and for completists this doesn't quite fit the bill. BUT, while I have the Steven Wislon remixes, there were a couple of releases in this box that I'd never gotten around to buying, so I'm happy to have this set. Also, while it's not 100% complete, I feel it's something my sons might one day look at and say, "Ok, I'm going to dive into this thing called ELP!" But they can ignore the vinyl, like I do! I might just have to make sure to buy a couple of extra Blu-Ray players in my golden years, so that they have something lying around with which to listen to the disks!

Hello JKL and thanks for replying to my very first post.For sure we will have to stock on bluray players for the future in order to play our collections with our kids and grandsons.Imagine I still have my Technics turntable which i rarely use but those live vinyls sure needed to be heard.Best regards!

I’m sure it’s a thing of beauty but since I don’t do vinyl and have ELP through the double live album in recent editions including remixes, and bits and bobs of stuff after that, the box seemed like overkill. But if you do vinyl it looks like a great box....and the price is ask so pretty reasonable for all that material...
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by erosblue View Post
    for a new fan I would agree it is decent. but for someone who owned all the albums in some form it is not.

and while some of those bonus tracks may be superfluous I feel like missing the inner gatefold art is a pretty big sin of a box so deluxe as this. ELP clearly thought those gatefolds were worth paying a bit more manufacturing for when the albums were released.

one other thing I recently purchased the recent individual release of pictures at an exhibition to get the bonus disc there and I compared the liner notes and was not shocked to find the box cuts out a lot of the liners including many quotes from Emerson and Lake.

if the box was sold as a budget here are all the albums no frills set fine but that was not what was presented to us. so the set fails to satisfy either side of the coin.

glad you are enjoying it though I have enjoyed it too just wish I could be comfortable saying it was truly the definitive ELP set.

Pulled this box off the shelf yesterday. Brace yourselves: I’d never listened to “Works” before. I know. So I listened to disk one. Man, that Greg Lake “side” is one I never want to listen to again! Maybe I’m just too late to the party. Not sure how much staying power that Emerson track has either. I’ve listened to that before, but not as carefully.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I don't have the box, but the original vinyl (and vol. 2). I know I'm in the minority, but I've gotten more mileage out of the Palmer side than anything else apart from the group side, and I enjoy the Emerson side far more than the Lake material. I also like most of vol. 2 better than the Lake side of vol. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't have the box, but the original vinyl (and vol. 2). I know I'm in the minority, but I've gotten more mileage out of the Palmer side than anything else apart from the group side, and I enjoy the Emerson side far more than the Lake material. I also like most of vol. 2 better than the Lake side of vol. 1.
    Palmer's contributions to both Works outings are fascinating. The big band swing/Buddy Rich outings (penned by Harry South) are excellent. But it's the other material, exploring a sort of prog-jazz-rock space which is miles (as it were) away from fusion that is most intriguing. It offers a space that a late-70s prog could have explored which, to my recollection, no other bands were close to at that time.

Disappointing that Palmer never went back to this sort of music...

Palmer recorded a lot of material in that period. I particularly like 'Bullfrog'...ISTR Macan suggesting it was of a piece with Bruford's work of the late 70s and I tend to agree.

Really all this material should have come out as three separate solo albums IMHO. I think the Works albums were a bit of a muddle. Emerson had the side-long concerto but a backlog of jazz covers that could have gone on the other side. (Two didn't come out until the mid 00s- 'Walter L' and 'Au Privave'.) It might have had sell-through potential because 'Honky Tonk Train Blues' was a reasonable-sized hit single.

Pulled this box off the shelf yesterday. Brace yourselves: I’d never listened to “Works” before. I know. So I listened to disk one. Man, that Greg Lake “side” is one I never want to listen to again! Maybe I’m just too late to the party. Not sure how much staying power that Emerson track has either. I’ve listened to that before, but not as carefully.
    Lake's side has always been the weak side for me and while I probably won't ever like it was much as the others, it has grown on me quite a bit over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Palmer's contributions to both Works outings are fascinating. The big band swing/Buddy Rich outings (penned by Harry South) are excellent. But it's the other material, exploring a sort of prog-jazz-rock space which is miles (as it were) away from fusion that is most intriguing. It offers a space that a late-70s prog could have explored which, to my recollection, no other bands were close to at that time.

Disappointing that Palmer never went back to this sort of music...
    I really wish he'd revisit that again myself.