Thread: well that was unexpected

well that was unexpected

i got a free one week trial pass from a new gym this week and something happened today that has never happened before..
    i finish my workout on the elliptical machine, step off to look for the cleaning stuff and suddenly i hear a very familiar sound coming from the sound system. it was a very moody melotron bit that i knew i've heard before but couldn't place at first. but then it hit me.. WATCHER OF THE FREAKING SKIES! i said WTF?? 70's Genesis playing over the sound system at my gym? that has never happened. usually (especially at my regular gym) i'm subjected to mostly dance, rap, soul or just plain bad pop with the occasional good song mixed in so this was a big surprise. anyway, at first i thought it might be one of the weight lifter dudes playing his own personal music but when i walked upstairs (air drumming in 6 the entire way ), it was still playing. i went over to the front desk and asked the girls if they knew where the stream was coming from and they said it was from one of those music choice channels you get with your cable tv. didn't ask which one or which cable system they had unfortunately. i guess i was too taken aback with shock and surprise.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

My wife plays a classic rock channel on Pandora, and “Watcher of the Skies” comes up about every 20 songs.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    My wife plays a classic rock channel on Pandora, and “Watcher of the Skies” comes up about every 20 songs.
    The bar I work at uses Pandora and regularly plays classic rock and I have never heard Watcher. What channel exactly is she playing? I really dislike Pandora because it kinda sucks like classic rock radio, the same stuff over and over and the Rush channel is almost devoid of Rush(lot's of Zeppelin, though. Great!)

I did enjoy the Lou Reed channel as it played some deeper cuts that aren't normally heard.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    What channel exactly is she playing?
    It is one she seeded with The Moody Blues.

Just to give you an idea here's a history of the last twenty or so songs it played:
    I'd Love To Change The World - Ten Years After
    Time Table - Genesis
    A Day In The Life - The Beatles
    I Know You're Out There Somewhere (Live) - Justin Hayward
    Legend Of A Mind - The Moody Blues
    Nights In White Satin (Live from the Greek, LA) - The Moody Blues
    Tuesday Afternoon (Forever Afternoon) (Feat. London Festival Orchestra & Peter Knight) (Full Version) - The Moody Blues
    Dear Diary - The Moody Blues
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Live) - David Gilmour
    The Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix
    You Can Do Magic - America
    Us And Them - Pink Floyd
    Have You Heard (Part 1) - The Moody Blues
    Question - The Moody Blues
    Nights In White Satin/Late Lament - The Moody Blues
    Midnight Rider - The Allman Brothers Band
    The Best Way To Travel - The Moody Blues
    The Actor - The Moody Blues
    Danny's Song - Loggins & Messina
    Paint It Black - The Rolling Stones
    Candle Of Life - The Moody Blues
    The Story In Your Eyes - The Moody Blues
    Voices In The Sky - The Moody Blues
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 09-27-2017 at 04:30 PM.

That is awesome. Once I was out to dinner at a restaurant and 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' came on, but that's nowhere close to hearing 'Watcher of the Skies'! That would have blown my socks into Asia somewhere, as my gym only plays crap.

The coolest things I've heard is when KEXP, when they were KCMU played 'Spring' by Tony Banks (from the Wicked Lady soundtrack), Salmon Leap by Anthony Phillips, and Talybont by Gentle Giant on different occasions.

Thanks RC I'll try and have them put it on at work.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Yeah that sounds like a great channel. Time Table?? Back in the day we had KZAM-FM in the Seattle area, and I heard both Time Table and Get 'Em Out By Friday, once each, but that was back in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Thanks RC I'll try and have them put it on at work.
    You can create a Pandora channel with any seed artist you want.

Some are more successful than others. The Henry Cow/Univers Zero/Present/Birdsongs of the Mesozoic channel I made is killer. The Canterbury channel... not so much.

Nice. A couple years ago I was getting ready for a trip for a Thanksgiving feast. On the car radio, FM band, Suppers Ready came on. Almost crashed.
    Last edited by Tangram; 09-27-2017 at 11:52 PM.