Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are Focus CDs so expensive?

I bought very clean LPs of Moving Waves and Hamburger Concerto this summer for $5 each. They sound killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Focus - 50 Years Anthology 1970-1976 [box set 9 CD + 2 DVD] - release 13th November 2020

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-2020.1000466/
    Just when I bought the other Focus box.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^ Damn! Me too.

The adventage of the new box are the live-recordings and the bonus-tracks and perhaps the 2 DVDs, though I own some of the stuff on it. The classic album stuff I have recorded from television and I have the Masters from the vaults DVD, which might contain some of the stuff on de DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^^ Damn! Me too.
    You guys need to be more Focused next time, no?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    You guys need to be more Focused next time, no?
    Why I oughta bust your two lips!

Get it? Tulips!

A smaller set would be nice. I found the studio releases I've heard to be a bit hit and miss. Some really great songs and some meh ones.

I'm a fan, but not a die-hard. I would love to get a 2-3-disc anthology that brings it all together.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Finally got around to hearing those last 3 (70s) albums. Here’s some thoughts:

Ship of Memories: A lot of people are treating this like some sort of lost classic, and I am afraid I just don’t hear it. Don’t get me wrong, there’s some good stuff here and I definitely don’t feel like I wasted my time listening to this. But it sounds like what it is, pressed-together sweepings from random recording sessions. Listenable, but nothing here is on a par with the band’s best work. We’re not exactly talking Missing Pieces here, is what I think I am trying to say.

Mother Focus: If I wanted smooth jazz, I’d have picked up a Casiopea album. How did they get from Hamburger Concerto to this? I’ve heard people say that Jan Akkerman really didn’t care about the band anymore, and was just going through the motions. To my ears, nobody has his heart in it. I think there was maybe one song that did not put me to sleep. Other than that, the overwhelming feeling I got when listening to this was, “your call is very important to us, please remain on the line.”

Focus con Proby: Well, it’s definitely a step up from MF. Going from smooth jazz to energetic fusion with some dynamics is a marked improvement. I mean, it’s not the classic Focus sound but hey, Philip Catherine is here! And he’s usually worth listening to. RE: P. J. Proby, I am not going to join in the chorus of folks bashing him. He does what he does just fine but just the same, he sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn’t mesh with what the band is doing at all. It rather leaves me wondering just how much cocaine was involved at the record company party that resulted in this pair-up (At least the AWB and Ben E. King kind of made sense). Still, I don’t dislike what he does, apart from that one song where he does the spoken-word thing (spoken-word parts in music is one of my bêtes noires).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Finally got around to hearing those last 3 (70s) albums. Here’s some thoughts:

Ship of Memories: A lot of people are treating this like some sort of lost classic, and I am afraid I just don’t hear it. Don’t get me wrong, there’s some good stuff here and I definitely don’t feel like I wasted my time listening to this. But it sounds like what it is, pressed-together sweepings from random recording sessions. Listenable, but nothing here is on a par with the band’s best work. We’re not exactly talking Missing Pieces here, is what I think I am trying to say.

Mother Focus: If I wanted smooth jazz, I’d have picked up a Casiopea album. How did they get from Hamburger Concerto to this? I’ve heard people say that Jan Akkerman really didn’t care about the band anymore, and was just going through the motions. To my ears, nobody has his heart in it. I think there was maybe one song that did not put me to sleep. Other than that, the overwhelming feeling I got when listening to this was, “your call is very important to us, please remain on the line.”

Focus con Proby: Well, it’s definitely a step up from MF. Going from smooth jazz to energetic fusion with some dynamics is a marked improvement. I mean, it’s not the classic Focus sound but hey, Philip Catherine is here! And he’s usually worth listening to. RE: P. J. Proby, I am not going to join in the chorus of folks bashing him. He does what he does just fine but just the same, he sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn’t mesh with what the band is doing at all. It rather leaves me wondering just how much cocaine was involved at the record company party that resulted in this pair-up (At least the AWB and Ben E. King kind of made sense). Still, I don’t dislike what he does, apart from that one song where he does the spoken-word thing (spoken-word parts in music is one of my bêtes noires).
    Focus con Proby is not in the new box-set. If I would buy it, it would be for the bonus-tracks and the live-albums. It would have been nice if they would have released those seperately.
    It was even worse with the Kayak-box. I've bought all albums and buying a box-set, just for one CD (I think) with bonus-tracks, some of which might already be on the CD's I own, so I didn't buy the box-set.

13 CD's in the old box - were they remastered?
    11 in this one but remastered (which often, not always, means slightly better sound, sometimes much better)

A bit strange that its the same recordcompany relasing both boxes.

Ship of Memories sounds like Focus, not gold nuggets, but definetely worth occasional listening.

Added some comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    13 CD's in the old box - were they remastered?
    No, they just boxed up some existing masters, and not always the best available versions.
    11 in this one but remastered (which often, not always, means slightly better sound, sometimes much better)
    The people responsible worked on the well-received Jan Akkerman and Tangerine Dream 'Hades' boxed sets, so expectations are high
    A bit strange that its the same record company releasing both boxes.
    No comment

Ship of Memories sounds like Focus, not gold nuggets, but definitely worth occasional listening.

the "hocus pocus" box is nothing special. this one, on the other hand, seems like a real deal. lots of stuff- the rainbow concert on DVD worth the price alone. outstanding package

Ship Of Memories has “Focus V” on it, which alone hoists it up to legendary status for me. Strangely I awoke at 4:30 this morning with that song in my head and it wouldn’t let me get back to sleep for 90 minutes. Actually I have a lot of time for S.O.M. as a whole and certainly got way more enjoyment out of it than I did out of Mother Focus at the time of release.

Focus Con Proby would sure benefit from a remix, if such were possible - really sounds like the mix was dashed off in an afternoon. It is SUCH a weird record but it’s got “Maximum” on it which I truly love. But it’s also got “Tokyo Rose,” which is honestly one of the worst things that ever happened, if hilariously so.

How many of you have heard “Live At The BBC,” with the short-lived quartet with Catherine? I heard it at the time of its original airing in the ‘70s and was absolutely enchanted by the new material, couldn’t wait for its release, and was pretty dang nonplussed when Con Proby showed up instead. Couldn’t have been more delighted when the BBC concert showed up finally on CD years later. I love it still.

Hmmm...a 46-minute live Eruption from the 1971 Newport Jazz Festival. Anyone heard it?
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Oh, I think Ship of Memories is a fine release. To me, the only throwaway piece is the title track, which at only just under two minutes, sounds more like an outro than a song. Yes, the album sounds thrown together, but IMO that's more down to the differing audio characteristics due to the different recording sessions than because of the material itself. IMO, about half the album is classic Focus: "P's March", "Focus IV", "Red Sky At Night" & "Crackers".
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    Oh, I think Ship of Memories is a fine release. To me, the only throwaway piece is the title track, which at only just under two minutes, sounds more like an outro than a song.
    The original piece is almost 5 minutes long, and it appears in this box-set on the Live At The Rainbow disc. I've always been curious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Hmmm...a 46-minute live Eruption from the 1971 Newport Jazz Festival. Anyone heard it?
    I would love to have a 46 minute live eruption. I would probably have a heart attack, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I would love to have a 46 minute live eruption. I would probably have a heart attack, though.
    It would be worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I knew I had to pass on that one, because of little interest for me (I've got some of those 00(ds albums home), but this one is really catching my wallet's attention... provided it's at a reasonable price

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    Oh, I think Ship of Memories is a fine release. To me, the only throwaway piece is the title track, which at only just under two minutes, sounds more like an outro than a song. Yes, the album sounds thrown together, but IMO that's more down to the differing audio characteristics due to the different recording sessions than because of the material itself. IMO, about half the album is classic Focus: "P's March", "Focus IV", "Red Sky At Night" & "Crackers".
    Yeah, I wish that every band would have bottom-of-drawer compilations this good.

Kobaia calling Vander, come in Vander!!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I knew I had to pass on that one, because of little interest for me (I've got some of those 00(ds albums home), but this one is really catching my wallet's attention... provided it's at a reasonable price
    That's what I get for being a completist, though I have to admit, I'm not that fond of their latest albums. If the price is right, I might jump into this new box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Kobaia calling Vander, come in Vander!!!
    I'm expecting my Magma-box today, though I haven't got a message yet it is send.

You naughty boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Gq6dHxZWU

Remember the movie Brainstorm from 1983? There was a guy who had this machine installed which had a brain-recording from a eruption playing in a loop. He went crazy!
    Great film, b.t.w.

Simple that $1 Focus album back in the 60s should be adjusted to inflation to over $100. Anything les is a bargain you young wipper-snappers. I remember when you could buy a nice starter house for $40. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    How many of you have heard “Live At The BBC,” with the short-lived quartet with Catherine?
    Yes, a solid release with Maximum, Sneezing Bull, and Angel Wings (new composition with a little Mahavishnu flavor.