Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are Focus CDs so expensive?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    thanks, I know all about Focus....
    Sorry, I didn't realize "what's a Focus CD? Same as regular CD's?" was an attempt at humor.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Obviously I'm talking about new CDs, not used. I thought the above prices were pretty high, even for imports. I just bought a few other imports (recent Klaus Schulze releases) new from Amazon and I think each was less than $15.

I look mainly at the new CDs on Amazon partly because I have Amazon Prime so pay no shipping for new items.

But people are saying the Focus CDs are OOP, so that answers my question - I didn't know they were OOP.
    Right, but even OOP they are still reasonable.

I just think that since they were in print for a long time and between several labels, they are pretty easy to find for 10 bucks or so despite being OOP.

If you prefer buying "new" CDs then I think $15 could be considered "reasonabley priced" as opposed to $20 or even $25 being "expensive" but hey ... we live in a world where new CDs come out from Japan and people pay $35 to $40 or more for them.

My guess is that if sealed copies are your goal, you could get them around that $15-$17 range with some research, but I could be wrong ...

Amazon prices for new CDs:

Focus 3 - $22.25
    Hamburger Concerto - $21.31
    Mother Focus - $25.45
    I defenitly paid less for mine, much less I think. Don't have Mother Focus but I'm sure I never paid more than 9.99 euro's for any Focus CD. Don't have everything though.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Right, but even OOP they are still reasonable.
    Indeed. Compare them to Nektar's Eclectic releases. Luckily, I have each of them.

This thread is rather like a typical piece of dialogue from "Peepshow"

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I defenitly paid less for mine, much less I think. Don't have Mother Focus but I'm sure I never paid more than 9.99 euro's for any Focus CD. Don't have everything though.
    Unless your Dutchitude is very strong (in that case, you'd already have it), don't bother.... easily their worst
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Unless your Dutchitude is very strong (in that case, you'd already have it), don't bother.... easily their worst
    I might become a completist.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Warrior View Post
    This thread is rather like a typical piece of dialogue from "Peepshow"
    What's "Peepshow?"

$20-$25 for an import doesn't strike me as expensive. <<shrug>>

Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    $20-$25 for an import doesn't strike me as expensive. <<shrug>>
    It does me - most of what I buy is imports, and I rarely pay prices like that.

Amazon has inflated prices on imports. Pretty easy to see the trend if you shop there.

Wow, I just realized I dont have any Focus anymore (since my Vinyl days)- Time to buy a few. Good reminder.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Amazon has inflated prices on imports. Pretty easy to see the trend if you shop there.
    What I saw on Amazon that Laser's Edge has, the LE prices were about the same. As Ken said, it's more that they're OOP. I agree SOME Amazon import prices are inflated but a lot are competitive, like the recent Klaus Schulze releases I mentioned.

What I saw on Amazon that Laser's Edge has, the LE prices were about the same. As Ken said, it's more that they're OOP. I agree SOME Amazon import prices are inflated but a lot are competitive, like the recent Klaus Schulze releases I mentioned.
    This probably depends on whether there is a US distributor or not.

Btw, what Schulze remasters? Checking Amazon many of his prime albums seem to now be very expensive. OOP?
    Last edited by JeffCarney; 02-11-2013 at 03:50 PM.

I look mainly at the new CDs on Amazon partly because I have Amazon Prime so pay no shipping for new items.
    Seems like I pay less for "new" items from Amazon Merchants, even with $3 added for shipping. The only time I find buying from Amazon cheaper is when "Free Shipping over $25" applies, and sometimes with new releases.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Best bet for imports: Amazon UK. If you're from the States, no VAT added; if you choose standard shipping, you'll save a bundle off the prices from Amazon US for the same album. It seems Amazon US adds 20-25 bucks a disc to the sale price...why, I have no clue...but I've been buying from Amazon UK with no problems at all.
    "So...you seek understanding. Then listen to the music and not the song..." - Kosh

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Because they are out of print.
    He should know.

Mother Focus: I heard that once when it came out on 8-trak. I gave it one listen and didn't like it,so I turned it in for trade. Perhaps I would enjoy it now maybe. Never heard Ship Of Fools at all.

Focus CD's are NOT out of print, they are readily available through Red Bullet out of Holland. That is also why they are somewhat more expensive than the cheap Capitol(or whatever label they were on) crap from years ago. I normally stock about ten titles or so constantly and have NO trouble getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Focus CD's are NOT out of print, they are readily available through Red Bullet out of Holland. That is also why they are somewhat more expensive than the cheap Capitol(or whatever label they were on) crap from years ago. I normally stock about ten titles or so constantly and have NO trouble getting them.
    They were on EMI, and the Red Bullet CDs are simply digital clones of that "cheap crap."

Also funny that this comes up, as I was reading through the liner notes of In And Out Of Focus (EMI) just last night, and Mike Vernon talks about how the CD reissues were produced with such great care and much more expense than was typical at the time. He was brought in to work on them and four days were spent mastering everything from the original tapes.

meimjustalawnmower
    Focus CD's are NOT out of print, they are readily available through Red Bullet out of Holland. That is also why they are somewhat more expensive than the cheap Capitol(or whatever label they were on) crap from years ago.
    Not sure what you mean by "cheap" or "crap". I have Moving Waves and 3 on the IRS label as well as Rainbow, Hamburger Concerto and Ship Of Memories on EMI and appear to be Dutch imports. All released around the same time, probably from the same masters, ca: 1988. They weren't cheap back in the day and they still sound great to my ears, so unless the newer releases are exceptionally better I see no reason to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "cheap" or "crap". I have Moving Waves and 3 on the IRS label as well as Rainbow, Hamburger Concerto and Ship Of Memories on EMI and appear to be Dutch imports. All released around the same time, probably from the same masters, ca: 1988. They weren't cheap back in the day and they still sound great to my ears, so unless the newer releases are exceptionally better I see no reason to replace them.
    Yup. The Focus catalog was mastered once for CD. And it was done with the involvement of original Producer Mike Vernon. The IRS CDs are the same as the EMIs (save for a different index point or two) and came from the same digital masters. All Red Bullet did was pick those up a decade plus later and get them back in print for a while.

They sound pretty great to me. Maybe not quite as good as vinyl, but I doubt that they'll ever be beat on CD.

By "cheap" and "crap" surely you're only referring to the packaging? Because, yes, they were packaged pretty indifferently, with the same liner notes on all of them, for example, and nothing beyond the front cover art. But in terms of sound quality, they're great.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Also most of their albums are on Spotify. I've seen no complaints from the band about this -- are there any??

So - there is a 320kbps (CD quality) stream available as an option if you can't find or afford certain titles.

Or 160kbps for free, and in either case the band and rights-holders are paid.

Focus - 50 Years Anthology 1970-1976 [box set 9 CD + 2 DVD] - release 13th November 2020

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-2020.1000466/