Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Star Trek: Discovery

In honor of James T Kirk's birthday: https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-treks-m...est-1833474595
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Dammit Jim, Happy Birthday!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Discovery season 2 started hopeful with a few decent episode but as it progresses it gets more and more unwatchable. Time crystals, red angels, people coming back from the dead, violent actions scenes....it is just not my cuppa. This is game of Thrones in Space and does not to the Gene Roddenberry legacy any justice at all.

The Orville does the ST legacy much beter justice then Discovery does.

I have had some issues with both seasons of Discovery. 2nd season has been better than the 1st. It took TNG and DS9 a couple of seasons to figure it out. The show, to me, needs more involvement from people like Jonathan Frakes who has directed the best episodes of the series. It needs to find a better connection to the canon of the series as well. At least the Klingons are starting to look like Klingons again.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I have had some issues with both seasons of Discovery. 2nd season has been better than the 1st. It took TNG and DS9 a couple of seasons to figure it out. The show, to me, needs more involvement from people like Jonathan Frakes who has directed the best episodes of the series. It needs to find a better connection to the canon of the series as well. At least the Klingons are starting to look like Klingons again.

Bill
    Funny that you mention Jonsthan Frakes. He has been directing episodes of The Orville lately. The last episode Sanctuary, directed by him, was really good.

I've never given The Orville a chance. With a name like that, it sounds like a series about a starship that goes flying through space looking for popcorn. Then I read that it is a comedy or dramedy, and my skepticism went into the red. I'd expect Quark 2, if I did watch it.

To be honest season 1 of the Orville is pretty dodgy. It had not decided if it wanted to be comedy or drama and as a result it was none of both.

In season 2 it seems to have found its feet as scifi drama with some humor. VERY star trek with lots of star trek alumni appearing in the show. The last episode was directed by Jonathan Frakes and featured Martina Sirtis.

The Orville has its ups and downs but it does capture the spirit of Trek. Some of the humor is a little too much but there's decent character development, some good story arcs, and when they go serious they do it well. It's not the level of The Expanse but I don't think we've ever had a science fiction TV series that hits that hard on the science and the political machinations.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Has anyone seen a web series called Star Trek Continues? I've seen more than half of the 11 episodes. It is damn good (imo). I've tried watching some of these fan made, web series before and they're god awful. "Continues" really is worth watching. Chris Doohan is the spitting image of his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've never given The Orville a chance. With a name like that, it sounds like a series about a starship that goes flying through space looking for popcorn. Then I read that it is a comedy or dramedy, and my skepticism went into the red. I'd expect Quark 2, if I did watch it.
    Consider yourself lucky...over here in the UK Orville is a fluffy green ventriloquist dummy with an annoying voice that sings songs about wanting to fly...

Orville renewed for season 3
    https://deadline.com/2019/05/the-orv...ox-1202612705/

I think the Orville captures the 'spirit of Star trek' a lot better then Discovery so for me this is very good news.

yeah, very happy to see the Season 3 renewal of The Orville.

The FOX schedule comes out today.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Orville renewed for season 3
    https://deadline.com/2019/05/the-orv...ox-1202612705/

I think the Orville captures the 'spirit of Star trek' a lot better then Discovery so for me this is very good news.
    AGREED!