Thread: Anathema - The Optimist tour

Anathema - The Optimist tour

Hi folks.

Anathema kicked off their Optimist tour of the UK and Europe on Friday night, in Glasgow, and played to a much larger audience than the last time around in 2014, so I guess their recognition and appreciation is growing.

The gig wasn't without its setbacks, being the first night of the tour, but I came away feeling pretty satisfied with what I experienced. For those who are interested, I've written a fuller account in my latest blog post here:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....2-live-review/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    A very enjoyable review! I like the photo of the audience - looks like the band stuck them in a big box for the show, or the world's largest roller-coaster car. Have you found yourself in there? I've only listened to a bit of the new album, and have very slowly been trying to get into the band, but your review has reminded me I need to get on with it.

Glad you enjoyed the show.

Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The Optimist is as good a place as any to introduce yourself to the band - it's a natural continuation of the sound the band have been evolving over the past few albums, but I felt this album was a little more focussed than the previous one Distant Satellites (which I felt had great songs, but also a couple of fillers, whereas Optimist feels like a complete package from start to finish).

If you enjoy the new album, then I'd simply work your way back in chronological order, which is what I did when I first heard them. I found myself liking most of their albums, bar a couple earlier on in their career which I felt were a bit of a slog, not because of the doom metal style but more because there weren't enough standout moments.

And if they play your way over the coming year, then give them a try - I feel they're on a peak right now, creatively and in terms of wider appreciation among music fans.

Strangely this latest album is the only one of theirs i cannot get into. But the growing recognition is very well deserved.

Bands like The Pineapple Thief have suddenly found themselves with a growing audience.

Better late than never i guess

Valen, I've posted here about previous efforts to get into the band. In fact, on Cruise to the Edge 2015 I spent a good amount of time making sure I had a good seat for their show, but after about 25 minutes I just wasn't into it and left. But a friend of mine who LOVES the band (and Marillion) was there, so I gave her my seat. Because I know her and some others who seem to be equally into Anathema and Marillion, and I love Marillion, I feel like something about the band ought to click for me. As I said, The Optimist sounds good from the bit I've heard so I'll give it a full listen. The concept seems good too. I really like the song "Thin Air" from We're Here Because We're Here, but somehow nothing else I've heard sounds as much like a real song. I also tried A Kind of Homecoming a couple of times but in the first 25 minutes or so nothing really seems to happen.

BTW, on the cruise, that friend asked me to take a photo of her with "the twins," which cracked me up.

The Pineapple Thief is another band I just haven't been able to get into, though a lot of people who I know have good taste love them. Saw them at NEARfest and just didn't get it.

I quite like The Optimist but its not quite in the same league as WHBWH and WS. I'm a little concerned that Danny has put aside some better material to include in his upcoming solo album, I guess we'll find out next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I quite like The Optimist but its not quite in the same league as WHBWH and WS. I'm a little concerned that Danny has put aside some better material to include in his upcoming solo album, I guess we'll find out next month.
    Doesn't matter, I'll pick that one up to.
    The older I get, the better I was.

According to the press release, Danny felt the solo stuff wouldn't have made it through the "Anathema filter" to be accepted by the rest of the band. when I first encountered the band he had quite a tempestuous relationship with his brother Vinnie (who was way too hot-headed the night I saw them circa 2005).

I get the impression it's all cool now and they're very much there for one another these days (no Oasis style spats here) but I'll bet the sparks fly during the creative process. I guess, after all the years of music, Danny knows instinctively what to bring to the table and what to leave off it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Valen, I've posted here about previous efforts to get into the band. In fact, on Cruise to the Edge 2015 I spent a good amount of time making sure I had a good seat for their show, but after about 25 minutes I just wasn't into it and left. But a friend of mine who LOVES the band (and Marillion) was there, so I gave her my seat. Because I know her and some others who seem to be equally into Anathema and Marillion, and I love Marillion, I feel like something about the band ought to click for me. As I said, The Optimist sounds good from the bit I've heard so I'll give it a full listen. The concept seems good too. I really like the song "Thin Air" from We're Here Because We're Here, but somehow nothing else I've heard sounds as much like a real song. I also tried A Kind of Homecoming a couple of times but in the first 25 minutes or so nothing really seems to happen.

BTW, on the cruise, that friend asked me to take a photo of her with "the twins," which cracked me up.

The Pineapple Thief is another band I just haven't been able to get into, though a lot of people who I know have good taste love them. Saw them at NEARfest and just didn't get it.
    That's the wonderful thing about music though isn't it? The variety on offer, and the variety of tastes.

I didn't enjoy Anathema the first time I saw them live - bad sound and tempers flared into a blowout and tantrum. It wasn't until years later and SW's production of "We're Here" that I tried them again, and that time it clicked. And that's still my favourite album. You could reasonably argue that they've been refining the same sound for each successive album, but personally I keep finding new elements to enjoy.

Homecoming is more of a memento of the Cathedral gigs, and I've played it a couple of times and then shelved it as a curio - it's very laid back and I can see why it didn't click with you.

I have the same problem with Marillion. I have every album and I know they're a solid band, but sometimes I find myself switching off prematurely, especially on the double albums. Too much filler and Hogarth's mumbling irritates me no end. But then you get a focussed album like FEAR which reminds you what they can pull off when they're on their game, and I'll bet the live shows were great, but I just couldn't be bothered to go.

Pineapple Thief are an interesting band - on the surface they could be considered a bit bland, and again while I have every album, only a couple of them get regular play. I saw them live on the Magnolia tour and they were enjoyable, but didn't stir me - I wish I'd caught them on the current tour, where Harrison seems to have revitalised them into a solid live band.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    The thing is I saw Anathema about a year ago, when they were 'trialling' music destined for The Optimist album. They sounded sensational at that time. But the final product seemed so different so maybe there is something in what you say here.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

I have read this before. When was this NEARfest gig?. I suspect it was some time ago as they are a very different band now.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    I have read this before. When was this NEARfest gig?. I suspect it was some time ago as they are a very different band now.
    I just checked - it was 2010.