Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rush Demos Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Yeah, this one too. I remember reading somewhere back, after this video came out, where they said that they were videoing all of their tours from here on out. I have several boots of pro shot vids from tours back thru Signals. However, there are many many flaws in those recordings & the final products were scrapped for whatever reasons.
    They may have been planning on putting out a video from each tour, but I think that was still in the era when filming a show "just so we have it on video" was still not feasible without putting out some kind of finished result. Thus, I suspect they ended up not shooting anything on the Signals or Power Windows tours. I think by the 90's, as technology improved, it became easier to at least get something, though I think unless they put something out (which I don't think they did during the 90's), I'm guessing it was closer to the video screen feeds you see from 70's era shows.

I believe I've seen a bit of audience shot footage from teh Signals tour, and I imagine there's some footage of that sort from every tour, but a lot of is very rough, and very incomplete. A lot of times you've got the camera zooming in on a band member, even as something interesting (ie lasers, a film, etc) is very obviously happening. There's a lot of Pink Floyd footage like that from the 87-94 era, where you wish you could slap the guy in the back of the head and yell, "ZOOM OUT, YOU IDIOT!!!".

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    There are also variations on some songs for Power Windows and Hold Your Fire on the Sector 3 set. But those appear to be unintentionally used for that set.
    I knew about the HYF differences. What's different about PW?

The Mobile Fidelity version of Signals also has a misused track. There's a whole vocal line missing from one of the tracks, I think "The Weapon."
    Chad

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Do you guys know if there a list somewhere online that denotes what instruments each of the chaps used on every album and tour? (e.g. Geddy plays Ric 4001 on PWaves, same bass on the 1980 tour.....etc etc)?
    Yes, each tour book lists the equipment each of the band members used on that tour.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

For synths, it was the Minimoog and Taurus pedals on the A Farewell To Kings tour.
    The Taurus pedals were probably acquired during the previous All the Worlds a Stage tour - because the Capitol Theater video shows Geddy playing pedals on... Lakeside Park!!!

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I believe the footage we've seen is from a soundcheck, and I suspect it may have been done for some type of TV news piece, with some of the bits of them playing cut together with interview footage with Geddy. Hence, I suspect the stuff we've seen is all there is, and most likely, they didn't shoot the actual concert performance, either.

Unless there's something like video screen feeds from the 70's era tours, I don't imagine there's much out there. Unfortunately, back in those days, doing a proper video or film shoot of any kind was massively expensive, and unless you had a specific project in mind, most such things just didn't happen.

What I'd love to know is if there isn't more footage from the shoot that was done for the Exit...Stage Left video. Did they just shoot the songs that appear in the official release, or is there a bunch of reels sitting on a shelf somewhere of most (if not all) of the setlist they did on the Moving Pictures tour?

One thing I'd actually like to see are just the various films they used in concert to accompany the performances. I've always been curious to see some of those. When they put out the concert videos from the 80's on DVD, I kinda wish they had done what Pink Floyd did on the Pulse DVD, and included the films on their own.

I think that the La Villa PinkPop was broadcast live in Europe at the time as part of a festival highlight package. There's also some older footage as R30 and R40 bonuses.

I'm sure the whole show was filmed for Exit..Stage Left, but due to the limitations at the time the went with the best they had for the time they had. I doubt even if any of that stuff was saved ( and there was no active thought to do that) it may not be in any kind of shape to release.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I knew about the HYF differences. What's different about PW?

The Mobile Fidelity version of Signals also has a misused track. There's a whole vocal line missing from one of the tracks, I think "The Weapon."
    As I recall (It's not my go to Power Windows release) it was mostly variations with the strings on Marathon and Manhattan Project, but I'm not totally confident that that is the case. I should probably pull it out again one of these days and get reacquainted with it.

Wasn't the story on The Weapon that the line was added later and therefore not on the original master that the release comes from? Perhaps that was Mobile Fidelity covering up?

They may have been planning on putting out a video from each tour, but I think that was still in the era when filming a show "just so we have it on video" was still not feasible without putting out some kind of finished result. Thus, I suspect they ended up not shooting anything on the Signals or Power Windows tours. I think by the 90's, as technology improved, it became easier to at least get something, though I think unless they put something out (which I don't think they did during the 90's), I'm guessing it was closer to the video screen feeds you see from 70's era shows.

I believe I've seen a bit of audience shot footage from teh Signals tour, and I imagine there's some footage of that sort from every tour, but a lot of is very rough, and very incomplete. A lot of times you've got the camera zooming in on a band member, even as something interesting (ie lasers, a film, etc) is very obviously happening. There's a lot of Pink Floyd footage like that from the 87-94 era, where you wish you could slap the guy in the back of the head and yell, "ZOOM OUT, YOU IDIOT!!!".
    That Signals video was from Montreal in April of 1983. There is another one from Montreal from July of 1984.

There's a lot of Rush videos like that too. I hate to be at the mercy of the camera man when you KNOW there is something else going on that you want to see elsewhere. (like Neil throwing his stick or doing the Townsend windmill or if you need to see the screen in back. Almost nobody thought to just leave the camera alone and just get the stage. Everyone wants to be a director!

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    That Signals video was from Montreal in April of 1983. There is another one from Montreal from July of 1984.
    Actually, both nights in Montreal '83 are out there. The first night, being the better of the two may have been the only one that made it to digital format.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron2112 View Post
    Actually, both nights in Montreal '83 are out there. The first night, being the better of the two may have been the only one that made it to digital format.
    Thanks for the reminder. That second one only surfaced within the last 10 years or so. One of them has been out there for at least 25 years, right?