Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downes Braide 3 with Partridge Bowness Longdon Almond Pierson Pomeroy

^^^ This is good. Interest piqued.

Might be the most annoying video to watch ever. The music is fine, but I couldn't watch 3 minutes of that.

I found the new one to be a bit less "sticky" than the stuff on their last album. It seems to be trying less to channel the 80s pop sound they had going. That may be their intent but IMO that's what gave them their identity. Sort of like a Buggles for the 21st century. If they try and go out as just another slick Euro pop group then it's all down to the songwriting, and I'm not sure there's quite enough there to carry them.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I really liked the first DBA album; the second one, not quite as much. I did really like Braide in This Oceanic Feeling, though and this track seems to be a bit of all those albums so I imagine I'll probably get a decent bit of enjoyment out of it.

GD, for his sins, has never lost his unerring sensibility for quirky, slightly left-field pop. he should get out of “that” band and do more of this! like.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    GD, for his sins, has never lost his unerring sensibility for quirky, slightly left-field pop. he should get out of “that” band and do more of this! like.
    Seems that he's quite capable of doing both.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Seems that he's quite capable of doing both.
    despite my slightly sarky comment i do not doubt this for one second. the real downes however (to me anyway) is audible in a buggles/asia/DBA environment (within which i also include “drama” and “FFH”). unless they don't come up with something fresh and new under his aegis or with defined participation he will remain almost a janitor in YES, refurbishing what others achieved before him. a spent or underutilised force. you decide.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    Might be the most annoying video to watch ever. The music is fine, but I couldn't watch 3 minutes of that.
    I thought it was pretty cleverly done, except the lyrics are so simple (and intelligible) that they don't really merit a lyric video.

My problem with it is: I hope this is a single edit, because there are basically, what, two iterations of the verse and chorus then it fades out. It greatly needs a nice 40 second or so instrumental section with some kind of solo, or I really have no reason to ever hear the song again.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    despite my slightly sarky comment i do not doubt this for one second. the real downes however (to me anyway) is audible in a buggles/asia/DBA environment (within which i also include “drama” and “FFH”). unless they don't come up with something fresh and new under his aegis or with defined participation he will remain almost a janitor in YES, refurbishing what others achieved before him. a spent or underutilised force. you decide.
    I hear ya. I'm hoping that, if they do indeed record a new album, that Downes and Howe do the bulk of the writing for it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I hear ya. I'm hoping that, if they do indeed record a new album, that Downes and Howe do the bulk of the writing for it.
    The latest rumour, and I have no confirmation of this, is that there will be some Howe/Davison material and there will be some Downes material.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Jon Davison can write good songs. Some of the material he contributed to Glass Hammer's Cor Cordium album was better than a lot of what was on H&E, in my humble opinion.

Skyscraper souls is also available on vinyl at Burning Shed. Which is what I just ordered, to match the previous 3 releases (2 albums and the RSD-maxi).

Anyone heared this yet.? Miy copy should be arriving tomorrow!

There's a bit thread on it on Yesfans.com. I'm enjoying it: it's broadly similar to the previous 2 DBA albums, but with a fuller band sound. Braide has described the idea was partly a union of DBA with his band This Oceanic Feeling. The guests add nice touches: I particularly like Almond's vocal.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    Andy Partridge's style is usually a dead giveaway but as a major fan, I can't hear any trace of him on this.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Andy Partridge's style is usually a dead giveaway but as a major fan, I can't hear any trace of him on this.
    He's not on that song.

Henry

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    But it DOES include the amazing Kate Pierson.

Am loving this and defineatly my favourite of the three!
    Proves that Geoff Downes has still got a good tune in him as a co-writer!

After 3 or 4 listens, I'm left underwhelmed. The first half of the cd is good, but the second half is bland. What's up with all the cheesy/lame spoken word bits? Definitely my least favorite of the three. As always, YMMV.