Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Stone Magazine Up For Sale

Is this useless pretentious rag still in print or all digital?

I stopped reading it for the music stuff after I stopped caring about Top whatever lists.
    They have had some truly awesome investigative journalism over the years.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    And we read Playboy for the articles too
    I subscribed for a long time. And yeah, I read the articles/interviews/fiction/reviews. I also looked at the air-brushed photos of pneumatic women. And the cartoons. Fuck the New Yorker. Playboy had the best cartoonists.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    Both

And for fuck's sake stop the fucking whining.

Who's whining? I used to see it on the library shelf but haven't in a while. Wasn't sure if it was stil in print.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "As for who might buy the magazine, Jann Wenner told the Times that he hopes it's someone who both respects Rolling Stone and also has 'lots of money.'"
    Last edited by JKL2000; 09-20-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    Still in print. I got autosubscribed a few months back when I bought some concert tickets, and the copies that they kept insisting on sending me after repeated attempts to get them to stop sending me their junk mail--they went directly under the parrot.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 09-20-2017 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "As for who might buy the magazine, Jann Wenner told the Times that he hopes it's someone who both respects Rolling Stone and also has 'lots of money.'"
    That rules out the PE membership.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    That rules out the PE membership.
    Richard Branson should buy it. He had soft spot for Englishmen with costumes and keyboards back in the day...

Amazing that RS has lasted as long as it has. Wenner is a savvy businessman and had a very good sense of how to move with the trends, appear current and somehow hip at the same time. Of course RS was full of shit a lot of the time but you have to be to try to remain relevant as they have.

In the mid-1980s in college my music geek buddies and I used to read it religiously. On the plus side RS got me to buy albums by CSN, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Joni Mitchell, Television to name a few. Classics all of 'em and they receive regular play to this day. In the pre-internet days where else could you discover information about classics of times gone by--the ones that weren't being played to death on classic rock radio, that is.

On the minus side I never understood what the hell they had against prog... Funny how they like prog again now!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It started becoming more of a fashion and general pop culture mag and less about music around '80 or so ...
    Coincidence?
    MTV (originally an initialism of Music Television) is an American cable and satellite television channel owned by Viacom Media Networks (a division of Viacom) and headquartered in New York City. Launched on August 1, 1981,[2] the channel originally aired music videos as guided by television personalities known as "video jockeys" (VJs).
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

The only times I have purchased Rolling Stone magazine was for the cover -- to get an autograph.

Erm, I did.

Wait...the info sheet about the centerfold's turn-ons wasn't considered an article?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    The only times I have purchased Rolling Stone magazine was for the cover -- to get an autograph.
    How many Axl autos did you need, man?!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    How many Axl autos did you need, man?!
    To date: 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    To date: 3.5
    So he passed out in the middle of signing the 4th one?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    So he passed out in the middle of signing the 4th one?
    No. I just got an "Axl". The others were his complete stage name.

Never enticed by the Playb myself, dude - just too damn little coprophilia in there.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

"John Lennon was in a movie theater, crying. The image of Paul, singing from the rooftop in the final 10 minutes, had set him off."

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...one-cover-ever
    Last edited by mogrooves; 10-21-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

^Apparently Lennon later deeply regretted that Wenner interview- he was angry and lashing out and it's not particularly appealing. Of course it's probably the one interview Wenner is most famous for, doesn't surprise me that he would republish it in books etc.

Lennon crying when watching Let It Be is not something I was aware of. There was obviously a deep love between him and McCartney...a great shame it went sour and wasn't fully patched up.

I'm somewhat amused by Wenner getting butthurt about this biography. Did he really think he was going to get a sanitized book that just touted his greatness and ignored his faults?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm somewhat amused by Wenner getting butthurt about this biography. Did he really think he was going to get a sanitized book that just touted his greatness and ignored his faults?
    Sounds like that's exactly what he thought he was getting. Oops.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I liked one of the responses at the Steve Hoffman thread:

"How does it feel?"
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    "John Lennon was in a movie theater, crying. The image of Paul, singing from the rooftop in the final 10 minutes, had set him off."

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...one-cover-ever
    Very nice article, thanks

Mike