Thread: Third Uncle and One of These Days

Third Uncle and One of These Days

Is the intro to Third Uncle close enough not to get sued by Pink Floyd. Discuss...lol

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Is the intro to Third Uncle close enough not to get sued by Pink Floyd. Discuss...lol

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    Good question, very reminiscent. I think I've noticed this before, but since the song then goes somewhere very different I never really thought much of it. But it's close.

You can't get sued over a couple of bars, or over the use of an Echoplex. Who knows if the similarity is intentional or not.

Isn't it just one note, plus a triplet rhythmic pattern crated by the Echoplex? It's certainly no more than an arrangement element, neither lyrics nor a melody, and it isn't even quite the same rhythm: "Third Uncle" in in 4/4 with the triplet used in a 3+3+2 habanera pattern, the phrases are shorter, and the echo quickly shuts off, whereas "One of These Days" is in 6/8 and the pattern continues for quite a while. And, at least at the time, you couldn't copyright an arrangement element. Between that, the genuine musical differences, and the fact that Floyd (one of the biggest bands in the world) would have looked like real shits for suing a relatively small-fry artist like Eno, it wouldn't happen.

I think Eno's safe! He ain't Andrew Lloyd Webber for godssakes!

If anyone should be suing, it should be the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, because Pink Floyd lifted the rhythmic echo thing from the remixed version of the DOctor Who theme that was used from 1970 to 1981. And they surely knew where they got it from, because Gilmour was fond of playing the Doctor Who melody when playing the piece live (you can hear it on both Delicate Sound Of Thunder and Pulse, not sure if he did it during the 70's, though).

At any rate, I don't hear enough similarity between the Floyd track and the Eno to suggest Eno swiped it from them. For all we know, Eno may have gotten it from Doctor Who as well.

A one note bass line going through an Echoplex, a Binson Echorec, or a WEM Copycat isn't enough to build a lawsuit on, especially when literally everything else about the track is completely different.

And if you could sue someone over such things, The Edge would have to find himself a good lawyer (so would Marty WIllson Piper, who used a similar effect on The Church song Reptile).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 09-17-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    If anyone should be suing, it should be the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, because Pink Floyd lifted the rhythmic echo thing from the remixed version of the DOctor Who theme that was used from 1970 to 1981. And they surely knew where they got it from, because Gilmour was fond of playing the Doctor Who melody when playing the piece live.
    http://www.whosampled.com/sample/814...op-Doctor-Who/

http://www.effectrode.com/echorec-3/delia-derbyshire/

"She was never starstruck and cheerfully devoted as much time to encouraging young students as to talking with celebrities. She even had an encounter with a very young Pink Floyd – Floyd visited the workshop and she took them in a taxi to see Zinovieff’s setup. Floyd and these other artists were highly curious about the new techniques for creating avante-garde sounds and what it might add to their music."

I don't think that's a sample. It sounds like Gilmour's playing something on lap steel, and I don't hear the Doctor Who melody, just a series of glissandos. What he'd do during the live versions, was actually the melody. He'd only play it once, but it's very recognizably the Doctor Who melody.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I don't think that's a sample. It sounds like Gilmour's playing something on lap steel, and I don't hear the Doctor Who melody, just a series of glissandos. What he'd do during the live versions, was actually the melody. He'd only play it once, but it's very recognizably the Doctor Who melody.
    I hear the sample,
    but I was not saying this was the thing that he played during the live versions
    More a reference that they been at the The Radiophonic Workshop, meet Deliah and picked up some
    know how regarding sounds and so...