Thread: The Genuine Imitation Life Gazette

The Genuine Imitation Life Gazette

Anyone heard this?

The Genuine Imitation Life Gazette was a Big Statement psych album from 1969, in the vein of Sgt. Pepper, Pet Sounds, Forever Changes, Of Cabbages and Kings by Chad and Jeremy, or A Tramp Shining by Richard Harris (and Jim Webb). It had an elaborate, orchestrated production, equally elaborate vocal arrangements, expanded song structures, multifaceted music (by 1969 standards), and "socially conscious" lyrics typical of the period. The cover was a satirical fake "newspaper" complete with comics by underground cartoonists - like an earlier version of Thick as a Brick. In terms of quality, it's up there with many of those albums, although not on the absolute top level. But in its day, it was a failure, and is barely remembered today except by collectors and psych obsessives. And it may have failed for a reason that had nothing to do with its musical quality:

It was by the Four Seasons.

Yes. Those Four Seasons. The doo-wop group who were old-fashioned even in the Sixties, who featured Frankie Valli's yowling falsetto, and who cranked out AM hit after AM hit. And The Genuine Imitation Life Gazette barely sounds like them. It's more like some kind of alternate version of the Beach Boys doing songs from some kind of alternate version of Hair. Or something. The songs were written by Bob Gaudio (who wrote most of the Four Seasons songs, played piano, and sang harmony) and the folkie Jake Holmes (who, I would guess, wrote the lyrics). It's a fascinating oddity.

Last edited by Baribrotzer; 09-14-2017 at 10:45 AM.

I never heard that Four Seasons album, even though I saw it for years and years for $2.00 and I have an interest and fondness for 60s pop bands who made one, far reaching attempt at a more serious music to reach the perceived new audience for underground music.

There's actually a few of them.

Thanks for posting on that album. I'm going to listen now.

Maybe we should start a '60s pop bands who made [only] one, far reaching attempt at a more serious music to reach the perceived new audience for underground music' thread.

IF SO, I'd like to add for discussion:

and

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...660E9BD0AA13E0
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Imitation Life Gazette is indeed a great record. Bought a copy of it in a record store in Ithaca a few years ago. It has the full fake newspaper. I believe later pressings didn't have the paper. I've heard it was the Seasons' attempt to be "relevant" in the last 60s. Lyricist Jake Holmes is also the writer of the song "Dazed and Confused" that was, ahem, borrowed by Led Zeppelin.

Steve, yes sirree bob, Cabbages and King is truly a remarkable album. Stroke of genius. Love the use of the Firesign Theater to provide the sound effects on the second side suite. The follow-up, The Ark, is not as spectacular, but is still quite good.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    The follow-up, The Ark, is not as spectacular, but is still quite good.
    I did not know that there was an 'arty' follow up until I searched on youtube for Of Cabbages and that turned up.

That one's next!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I have "Cabbages" & still play it from time to time. I know about the 4 Seasons album but never heard it (until I listen later today). I think you may have mentioned it to me once or twice, Lou.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Add into this category Tommy James & the Shondells "Cellophane Symphony".

What an album-- Over the top hippie, humor, Moog experiments, and a couple of pop songs. The opening title track is ten minutes long, remarkably Krautrock-sounding, and is built on a bass riff that would later show up in "Thick as a Brick."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdH_ktU9W7k

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    IF SO, I'd like to add for discussion:

AHHHHH.

I messed that up - relied on my memory when the Internet was at my fingertips. Thanks for the correction.

Great. Another rabbit hole to disappear down...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I have an interest and fondness for 60s pop bands who made one, far reaching attempt at a more serious music to reach the perceived new audience for underground music.

There's actually a few of them.
    The Association did some: not whole albums, but great singles - entirely appropriate for a singles band. In particular, "Six Man Band" (about the day-to-day realities of the touring rock 'n roll life), and "Requiem For The Masses" (a very fine anti-war number, with elaborate choral arrangements and a flugelhorn solo) come to mind. I'm not sure why they never did a whole psych album - although at the time, they were plagued with personnel changes and might not have had the stability for the sustained effort a unified album would take.

But it's interesting: Most of those attempts failed because the bands who did them had already been branded as pop singles acts by the hipsters of the day, and even an excellent psych album couldn't shake the resulting "sold out to The Man" stigma. Or at least that's today's critical consensus on why many of those records vanished. But listen to them, and you realize that quite a few bands able to craft great singles could do equally fine work out-of-harness, so to speak. Just as the Beatles did, from Revolver onward.

So I wonder why the Beatles got a pass (as did the Beach Boys). Were they so big an act that a few grouchy hippies didn't matter? Were Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, et al so excellent that accusations of "inauthenticity" (and the hippies were very hung up on authenticity, as much so as any roots-worshipping Rock Critic) had no traction? Or was it just that the Four Seasons, Tommy James, and others were a year or so late to the party, were perceived as hangers-on, and never got the respect their work may have deserved?

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Or was it just that the Four Seasons, Tommy James, and others were a year or so late to the party, were perceived as hangers-on, and never got the respect their work may have deserved?
    This, I think.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

The Beach Boys didn't get a pass. The underground press of the time often gave them both barrels and they became very unfashionable in their homeland (though not elsewhere).
    Good points. The Beach Boys' current high reputation may be as much historical revisionism as anything else, plus the knowledge that the Beatles considered them artistic equals.

It's a bit like the current view of the Velvet Underground as musical geniuses, whereas back then they seem to have have been seen more as an odd, noisy, droning, rattletrap folk-rock band with some weird, sick lyrics. The old line about how their debut album only sold 2,500 copies, but everyone who bought it next bought a guitar and started their own band leaves out two factors: That it only sold 2,500 copies, so they were pretty much little-knowns in their day; and that of those 2,500 who bought the album, then bought guitars, at least half found they had no talent, so they traded in those guitars for typewriters and became Hipster Rock Critics instead.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 09-14-2017 at 03:30 PM.

I love The Beach Boys more with each passing year. But I think their albums were more erratic than The Beatles. Their quality control was not as acute- maybe it's because they didn't have an outside producer a la George Martin. However I also think Brian Wilson's own genius didn't necessarily discern between 'I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man' and 'California Girls', yet both are on the same album!

Pet Sounds and the shelved Smile is where everything came together. You have to take the rough with the smooth on other albums.

I'm not sure why they never did a whole psych album - although at the time, they were plagued with personnel changes and might not have had the stability for the sustained effort a unified album would take.
    The 1969 s/t Association album (nicknamed "Stonehenge" for the cover art) is mildly psych/prog along the lines of the Beach Boys Friends to Holland era.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I love The Beach Boys more with each passing year. But I think their albums were more erratic than The Beatles. Their quality control was not as acute- maybe it's because they didn't have an outside producer a la George Martin. However I also think Brian Wilson's own genius didn't necessarily discern between 'I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man' and 'California Girls', yet both are on the same album!
    Also, the Beatles didn't have a Mike Love - who was more a businessman than a musician, questioned every odd heartfelt move or artistic advance of Brian's, and just wanted to crank out more hit singles about cars, girls, and surfing. John and Paul may have not gotten along, they may have held George to one or two songs per album, but they were on the same page as far as artistic ambition went, and so were George and Ringo. But the Beach Boys were torn between Mike, the pragmatic leader of the live, touring unit, and Brian, the songwriter, studio genius, and mentally-fragile heart and soul of the band.

I've never heard the complete Genuine Imitation Life LP by The Four Seasons. However, here's another late '60s "top forty" act that made a concept album; The Rascals' Once Upon A Dream from 1968.

https://youtu.be/51gYtvIseB8

^ ^ ^ ^

"Over and over, the crow cries uncover the cornfield"

What's not to like?

Columnated ruins domino, indeed.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

A friend of mine swears by this LP, and has owned several copies of it. I don’t think he’s ever owned any of their other albums. The only one I have is Who Loves You, which actually features very little Frankie Valli. Apparently he was having problems with his voice at the time and was worried about losing it. So drummer Gerry Polci stepped up to sing lead on most of the album (he’s the main lead on “December 1963” and the only lead on “Silver Star”).

Interestingly enough after this The Four Seasons were associated with Motown for several years!
    Yes, the Chameleon album, released on the short-lived Mowest subsidiary. That sub-label was also home to Lesley Gore’s belatedly-acclaimed stab at the then-current “singer-songwriter” sound (Somewhere Else Now) and Tom Clay’s bizarre “Abraham Martin & John/What the World Needs Now” sound-collage/mash-up.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    A friend of mine swears by this LP, and has owned several copies of it. I don’t think he’s ever owned any of their other albums. The only one I have is Who Loves You, which actually features very little Frankie Valli. Apparently he was having problems with his voice at the time and was worried about losing it. So drummer Gerry Polci stepped up to sing lead on most of the album (he’s the main lead on “December 1963” and the only lead on “Silver Star”).
    Don't have the album but yeah, that was the commercial comeback, which began in earnest with Valli's solo 'My Eyes Adored You'. They managed a few UK hits in this period which did not really register in the US- 'We Can Work It Out' (from that Beatles cover album...All This And World War II or whatever it was called), 'Down The Hall' (bit bland, that one) and 'Rhapsody' (a better track). Around the same time in the UK the aforementioned Motown cut 'The Night' became a sizeable hit single. A classic, I think, and it definitely sounds like a hit- surprised it didn't achieve that in the US.

I mentioned The Hollies earlier, they have some great psych tracks not on albums which got scattered on various things over the years- 'Wings' (maybe my favourite of all their tracks), 'Relax', 'Tomorrow When It Comes'...

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    I've never heard the complete Genuine Imitation Life LP by The Four Seasons. However, here's another late '60s "top forty" act that made a concept album; The Rascals' Once Upon A Dream from 1968.

Wonderful record. Not even in the excessive, oddball way that the Chad & Jeremy and Four Seasons albums are-- "Once Upon a Dream" is just plain good.

I'd say the same thing about Paul Revere & the Raiders' psych album, "Something Happening":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUU7...fsEMU5n6vQXVkT

And while we're at it, the Cowsills' wonderful, Pepper-inspired Captain Sad & His Ship of Fools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT53uEMKBOI

Would this qualify?

So I wonder why the Beatles got a pass (as did the Beach Boys). Were they so big an act that a few grouchy hippies didn't matter? Were Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, et al so excellent that accusations of "inauthenticity" (and the hippies were very hung up on authenticity, as much so as any roots-worshipping Rock Critic) had no traction? Or was it just that the Four Seasons, Tommy James, and others were a year or so late to the party, were perceived as hangers-on, and never got the respect their work may have deserved?
    It's because the Beatles became hippies themselves (albeit very rich ones,) and were at the vanguard of pushing hippie culture into the mainstream. By 1968, Hippie Culture and Youth Culture were close to identical, and the Beatles had a big hand in that.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Would this qualify?
    I'd say it doesn't, because Mandrake Memorial were an underground band to begin with, not a pop singles band trying to embrace hippie culture.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's because the Beatles became hippies themselves (albeit very rich ones,) and were at the vanguard of pushing hippie culture into the mainstream. By 1968, Hippie Culture and Youth Culture were close to identical, and the Beatles had a big hand in that.
    Good point. And, as the couple of anti-Beatle guys here have pointed out, many of their innovations had been used earlier by other bands - but they popularized them and brought them to everybody in a way no one else could have.

Don't have the album but yeah, that was the commercial comeback, which began in earnest with Valli's solo 'My Eyes Adored You'. They managed a few UK hits in this period which did not really register in the US- 'We Can Work It Out' (from that Beatles cover album...All This And World War II or whatever it was called), 'Down The Hall' (bit bland, that one) and 'Rhapsody' (a better track).
    The latter two come from Helicon, their flop follow-up to Who Loves You. Valli was back in earnest for this, but sounded disinterested. I guess he was more interested in his solo career at this point. Maybe dropping the nascent disco-esque tendencies from WLY was a bad idea, too, since it was more in vogue than ever by the time it came out. I always rather liked “Rhapsody,” though, and thought it deserved to be a bigger hit.

All This and World War II was a weird one, newsreel footage of the Second World War set to cover versions of Beatles songs. Don’t know what the hell 20th Century Fox were thinking, but it deservedly tanked. At least the soundtrack brought us Peter Gabriel’s cover of “Strawberry Fields Forever.” The only top 40 hit over here was Ambrosia’s “Magical Mystery Tour.” Fox also tried to stretch the Stateside commercial success of Franco-Italian canzoniere Richard Cocciante via this soundtrack; he had just had a sorta/almost hit single with “When Love Has Gone Away.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...