Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: King Crimson Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Or my own bugaboo:

Why in hell would you do a cover of "Heroes"? It is manifestly not Crimson, and thus ipso facto unsatisfactory; but at the same time it is not foreign enough to provide a new experience for listeners. If you're determined to do covers, why not cover "Fool's Overture" or "Little Red Corvette"?
    Your original premise is absolute nonsense~~" it is manifestly not Crimson and ipsp facto unsatisfactory" . Think of the flawed logic inherent in the statement .

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Has Peter Gabriel died recently?
    "Heroes" was already in Crimson's repertoire before Bowie died.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Mine are all obvious, but I doubt anyone but Robert can answer the first few, and Robert would likely be cryptic in his usual affable way.

It there a studio album in the works? No - they'll continue to just release live albums...this is an old world model of doing things and it isn't cost effective or productive.

Is more touring planned beyond this? Yes - there's a 50th anniversary tour...as to who's in or out ?

If so, what repertoire do they hope to add next? They're gonna keep looking at all of it...

Is there any piece you want to play that you haven't yet?

How does being part of this phase of King Crimson fit in with your artistic goals and aspirations?

What has learning and playing the repertoire taught you?

What has touring with this large and wonderful line-up taught you?
    These have been answered i believe...within the VIP sessions...per session you'll have one to two members of the band come out along with David Singleton.

i've proposed somewhat tongue-in-cheek to have the 50th anniversary tour be a collective who's in the band? i.e. we're rehearsing for a week-ish with these songs; who's available? then we'll tour. and repeat for x amount of months changing the line-up and the repertoire considerably.
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 09-14-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Are you talking about a handful of shows 17 years ago, or something more recent? This iteration started playing the song around a year ago, honoring Bowie and celebrating the song's coming 40th anniversary, which was marked with the release of the single. But you knew all that.

wonder if Belew was mad that they were redoing the song he originally sang with king crimson...

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    wonder if Belew was mad that they were redoing the song he originally sang with king crimson...
    At least it wasn't "Free as a Bird."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Ref. Heroes: Fripp's guitar on the track, with it's unmistakable note bending simplicity, drove the song and stood out. Robert did something similar on his repetitive 3 or 4 note slow plucking solo close to the ending section of Starless, but in this case, there was a gradual build-up. Heroes drones the few notes at a steady pace and volume. None the less it's Fripp's simple droning git on Heroes that became very iconic. Both mentioned songs are in the less is more mode, and both work well. It surprises me that lots of people on PE didn't know and/or realize what a huge impact he had on the Bowie tune.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    The lack of new music puts King Crimson in constant threat of being driven by nostalgia, rather than creativity.
    The current incarnation does not do extended improvs, and seems not to provide any real support for composition.
    Where can new music possibly come from?
    Possibly? Uhm, from other bands and artists than King Crimson.

There's an abundance of creative, advanced and constantly forward-thinking rock music being made by *younger* folks, although most "proggers" don't want to know because that stuff doesn't necessarily confirm their perception of things.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Fripp has re-invented KC a couple of times, but mostly with a complete new crew.
    He should do that again.

At least it wasn't "Free as a Bird."
    Or that great Rev. Billy C. Wirtz classic, "Freeway to Stairbird."
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    My questions would be for Robert, and there's no chance he'll be fielding the questions.
    There's a one-in-eight chance. AFAIK, you just don't know which member it'll be before the event. Maybe they don't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    There's a one-in-eight chance. AFAIK, you just don't know which member it'll be before the event. Maybe they don't either.
    has anyone said they got Robert? I sort of feel like he would exclude himself though he has been known to answer questions at his solo shows so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Fripp has re-invented KC a couple of times, but mostly with a complete new crew.
    He should do that again.
    It would be great if he had one more creative incarnation/vision for original King Crimson music left in him, but I kind of doubt it. He seems happy with the three-drum back catalog traveling circus.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    has anyone said they got Robert? I sort of feel like he would exclude himself though he has been known to answer questions at his solo shows so who knows.
    https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/Davi...on/Mexico_City

To the drummers: How does it feel knowing it takes 3 or 4 of you to replace Bill Bruford?

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    To the drummers: How does it feel knowing it takes 3 or 4 of you to replace Bill Bruford?
    Wow, only took you 3 years and a thousand people before you making that joke to come up with that? Good work.