Earthbound Expanded edition
    Fripp ... polishing a turd and selling it as "Deluxe"
    Sorry I couldn't help it

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Earthbound Expanded edition
    Fripp ... polishing a turd and selling it as "Deluxe"
    Sorry I couldn't help it
    Feel free not to buy something that includes a surround mix of Summit Studios.

^^^ Udi, and other skeptics, I agree with Dave. Summit is a great performance, worlds away from Earthbound proper, both in terms of sound and approach. Summit shows the guys were decent jazzers, and more generally a listening band. Earthbound, as much as I do like it, shows they wanted to play in the red, literally and figuratively, as much as possible. A menacing, stomping, out-of-control beast. EB shows they were great when they were good, and when they were not so good, well... Some other folks on this thread have some good descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Interesting. I've never heard the story that way before. It was my understanding that Fripp wasn't interested in doing a live album, so he handed recordings from the sound board reference cassettes over to the record company. This is the first time I've heard it suggested that Fripp intentionally and knowingly recorded a live album on cassette because he was "doing it on the cheap."

Nevertheless, can I hear all four members of the band? Yes. Are the levels between the individual instruments balanced? Yes. Is there rumbling, muddy bass or tinny high end? No. Hiss or distortion? Minimal to none. All good.

It's an early 70's sound board cassette. Yes, there are better board recordings. And there are worse.

The shit this album takes for its "poor sound quality" is overblown and based largely on people repeating what's been said about the album before. No amount of words in quotation marks is going to convince me otherwise.
    I've always thought the cassette recordings were simply for reference for the band. Particularly the improvs.

In fact, considering they made several multitrack recordings in '73 and '74, I suspect that Robert (who wasn't happy with the direction of the Earthbound lineup), probably had no interest or intent at all in terms of producing a live album at the time. Not to mention the fact that the cassette recordings were probably out of Fripp's pocket, considering the band wasn't paid for touring. So it probably would have to do with whether/when EG would put up the money (which they probably charged to the band anyway), to do proper multitrack recordings of the shows.

When the decision was made to release a live album, it was after the fact, and all they had to work with was the cassettes. Or, more likely, somebody realized Fripp had these cassettes and said, "we should release a live album."

So no, I wouldn't say Robert was "doing it on the cheap." I suspect at the time he wasn't doing it at all (recording a live album, that is.).
    --
    Back to the OP - I can't wait for the box set. It was a period of a very unique energy in the band, and the music has all sorts of hints of what's to come in the following two decades. One of the most interesting things to me about the '71/'72 live material is how different it was from the studio material, and the earlier live material. By Lizard, Fripp was in composer mode, and would apparently record a framework on guitar, but then most of the guitar was removed from the final mix. On the other hand, once they finally hit the road, Fripp the soloist came out in a huge way, along with Mel's screaming sax. It was a loose, rough mix, and I think the low-fi cassette recordings are oddly appropriate.

It's clear that this wasn't the band he was looking for, but I think it was the band that had to happen to get to the next step. For example, imagine if the Lizard's line-up had toured, and gone back in the studio for a follow-up with all the extra musicians again, and where the Larks' theme would have gone. Could have been very cool, but I think it would have been leaning more jazz than rock.

If you haven't heard the live recordings from this lineup other than Earthbound and Summit, I personally think you're in for a treat.

Sorry I admit didn't bother to read the entire content of the box
    but why not call it Summit Studios Sessions etc. or 1972 or The Road to...
    As someone who has listened to KC more then 40 years Earthbound Expanded Deluxe Box sounds like a joke

As someone who has listened to KC more then 40 years Earthbound Expanded Deluxe Box sounds like a joke
    There are two separate releases. The deluxe box is not called Earthbound; it's called Sailors' Tales. The expanded Earthbound is a single CD plus DVD, all the material of which is also included on the box set.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ Udi, and other skeptics, I agree with Dave. Summit is a great performance, worlds away from Earthbound proper, both in terms of sound and approach. Summit shows the guys were decent jazzers, and more generally a listening band. Earthbound, as much as I do like it, shows they wanted to play in the red, literally and figuratively, as much as possible. A menacing, stomping, out-of-control beast. EB shows they were great when they were good, and when they were not so good, well... Some other folks on this thread have some good descriptions.
    fairly different sets between Summit Studios

1. Pictures Of A City (Fripp, Sinfield)
    2. Cadence and Cascade (Fripp, Sinfield)
    3. Groon (Fripp)
    4. 21st Century Schizoid Man (Fripp, Lake, McDonald, Giles, Sinfield)
    5. Improv: Summit Going On ° (Fripp, Collins, Burrell, Wallace)
    6. My Hobby (Wallace)
    7. Sailor's Tale (Fripp)
    8. The Creator Has A Master Plan * (Pharaoh Sanders, Leon Thomas - arranged by Fripp, Collins, Burrell, Wallace)
    including Improv: Summit & Something Else ° (Fripp, Collins, Burrell, Wallace)

and Groon

1. 21st century schizoid man (11:45)
    2. Peoria (7:30)
    3. The sailor's tale (4:45)
    4. Earthbound (7:08)
    5. Groon (15:30)

Only Groon and Schizoid are common.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    There are two separate releases. The deluxe box is not called Earthbound; it's called Sailors' Tales. The expanded Earthbound is a single CD plus DVD, all the material of which is also included on the box set.
    Udi's right... this is mighty confusing.

Summit Studio at 40.00 on Amazon (and 70.00 used)??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Summit Studio at 40.00 on Amazon (and 70.00 used)??
    Good thing it's normal price at Inner Knot.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Couldn't find a separate thread for the Sailors' Tales box, but I just got a shipping notification from Burning Shed.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    And can't imagine any Crimson collection being without it.
    Imagine it.

It is happily missing here.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have 40 Crimson albums and Earthbound isn't one of them.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^^^ As long as you guys have some shows from the '72 USA tour, I won't tell you that you *need* Earthbound. But you do need something. There is an unhinged ferocity to this version of the band that never reared its ugly head again. They were just putting it all out there, good taste and common sense be damned. The results are thrilling, tedious, ridiculous and occasionally sublime. Not much else like it in all of progrock.

I can't wait to hear My Hobby in surround.

I'm seeing the Crim Octet tonight and it just happens that I'm wearing my Mr. Gumby shirt today.

Also posted elsewhere, but for those not following the other thread....

For those interested in getting the full, detailed track and personnel listing, which is the first thing I do before I start writing, you can find the full album listing for Sailor's Tales 1970-1972 over at AAJ.

Just using the Blu Rays as sources, from which everything is included and from which I ripped the audio for my high res player, you might be interested in this fact: This box contains almost 44 hours of music that, barring needle drops and a few single releases, contains NO duplication.

Also, a note: the original five-track Earthbound has not been remastered, as far as I can tell, though the expanded version is available on CD, Blu Ray AND DVD-A, and the additional material would have been mastered for this released (by David Singleton and Alex R. Mundy; man, were these guys particularly busy with this one!).

I start writing the actual article tomorrow, but thought folks might be interested in seeing what is in this box, in full detail. In addition to previously unreleased rehearsal/audition jams, there are four shows never before released in any format, a bunch that were never available in hard media...and everything, barring the original Earthbound, it seems, has been given a sonic facelift. Given the source for most shows are cassette recordings from the soundboard, there are some incomplete tracks and some where the sound is distorted or there's tape flutter. But the vast majority of it sounds really, really good. Pro recordings like Summit Studio have never sounded this good....and for those who already own Poseidon, Lizard and Islands 40th Anniversary series, in addition to them being available on Blu Ray for the first time, there is a whole load of additional outtakes, alternate takes, rehearsal takes etc that were not on the original 40ths.

So this box really is the last word on this incredibly fertile period...and for a guy like me, who'd only heard Earthbound, Summit, Guildlhall and maybe one other live show from this touring band, all i can say is: WOW.

I'm hoping there aren't any errors in this album listing, which took the better part of 4.5 hours to put together. But if anyone is actually looking that closely and finds an error, please let me know, as I'd be happy to fix. Right now my eyes are spinning and I've a throbbing headache.

Ah, the things we do for love....
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I have 40 Crimson albums and Earthbound isn't one of them.
    Well, I apm considering buying ity, because of the sheer amount of stuff unavailable elsewhere.
    And I guess that even if the sound is not good, it's probably better than the worst-sounding thing the KCCC has released

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ As long as you guys have some shows from the '72 USA tour, I won't tell you that you *need* Earthbound. But you do need something. There is an unhinged ferocity to this version of the band that never reared its ugly head again. They were just putting it all out there, good taste and common sense be damned. The results are thrilling, tedious, ridiculous and occasionally sublime. Not much else like it in all of progrock.
    Well, I got the Ladies From The Road KCCC one, as it got a B&M release way back then... But it doesn't quench the thirst for a better-sounding version of the stuff on Earthbound
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Also posted elsewhere, but for those not following the other thread....

For those interested in getting the full, detailed track and personnel listing, which is the first thing I do before I start writing, you can find the full album listing for Sailor's Tales 1970-1972 over at AAJ.

Just using the Blu Rays as sources, from which everything is included and from which I ripped the audio for my high res player, you might be interested in this fact: This box contains almost 44 hours of music that, barring needle drops and a few single releases, contains NO duplication.

Also, a note: the original five-track Earthbound has not been remastered, as far as I can tell, though the expanded version is available on CD, Blu Ray AND DVD-A, and the additional material would have been mastered for this released (by David Singleton and Alex R. Mundy; man, were these guys particularly busy with this one!).

I start writing the actual article tomorrow, but thought folks might be interested in seeing what is in this box, in full detail. In addition to previously unreleased rehearsal/audition jams, there are four shows never before released in any format, a bunch that were never available in hard media...and everything, barring the original Earthbound, it seems, has been given a sonic facelift. Given the source for most shows are cassette recordings from the soundboard, there are some incomplete tracks and some where the sound is distorted or there's tape flutter. But the vast majority of it sounds really, really good. Pro recordings like Summit Studio have never sounded this good....and for those who already own Poseidon, Lizard and Islands 40th Anniversary series, in addition to them being available on Blu Ray for the first time, there is a whole load of additional outtakes, alternate takes, rehearsal takes etc that were not on the original 40ths.

So this box really is the last word on this incredibly fertile period...and for a guy like me, who'd only heard Earthbound, Summit, Guildlhall and maybe one other live show from this touring band, all i can say is: WOW.

I'm hoping there aren't any errors in this album listing, which took the better part of 4.5 hours to put together. But if anyone is actually looking that closely and finds an error, please let me know, as I'd be happy to fix. Right now my eyes are spinning and I've a throbbing headache.

Ah, the things we do for love....
    Even though I'm not getting KC's Sailor's Tales box set (or the expanded edition of Earthbound), I look forward to reading your review at AAJ.
    Last edited by Yellow Jester; 11-07-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    With everything that is available now it is mind boggling to think that as recently as the early nineties the only officially released live Crimson recordings were on Earthbound and USA.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Because it contains material (including more that's been discovered since their original 40th anniversary releases) everything from Poseidon through Earthbound. Yes, the emphasis is on live Islands band shows, but there's a lot of music associated with the prior three studio releases, including audition blows for the Islands band, that are new here.

Note: Actually, I just discovered I could insert html line breaks, so my complete track and personnel listing at aaj should be much easier to read now!

Again, the link here.
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    Even though I'm not getting KC's Sailor's Tales box set (or the expanded edition of Earthbound), I look forward to reading your review at AAJ.
    Thank you!
    John Kelman

including audition blows for the Islands band, that are new here.
    I wonder if that includes the tape Fripp mentions in his diary entry in the Great Deceiver boxset. As I recall, Crimson had shared the bill with Steeleye Span, and theri bassist Rick Kemp inquired about a tape Fripp had of Kemp playing with Crimson. Apparently, Kemp was in the band for just a week, before he came to his senses and quit. I suspect he's the bassist that Ian Wallace talks about but doesn't identify in the liner notes of one of the Collectors Club releases, something to the effect that one day, the new bassist didn't show up for rehearsal, but had left his bass, which in turn led to Boz (who had originally only been hired as singer) being dragged into the rhythm section.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Apparently, Kemp was in the band for just a week, before he came to his senses and quit. I suspect he's the bassist that Ian Wallace talks about but doesn't identify in the liner notes of one of the Collectors Club releases, something to the effect that one day, the new bassist didn't show up for rehearsal, but had left his bass, which in turn led to Boz (who had originally only been hired as singer) being dragged into the rhythm section.
    It wasn't a Kemp "coming to his senses." Sid Smith explains it in his liners and there certainly was no indication of acrimony ... and with the turbulence of these recordings, there was plenty of that (and Sid is totally open about it). He also discusses the bass left, that became Boz's first crack at the instrument. I’m not going to reveal more, as you’ll have to wait for my review and, of course, Sid’s even more extensive liners.
    John Kelman

It wasn't a Kemp "coming to his senses." Sid Smith explains it in his liners and there certainly was no indication of acrimony ... and with the turbulence of these recordings, there was plenty of that (and Sid is totally open about it). He also discusses the bass left, that became Boz's first crack at the instrument. I’m not going to reveal more, as you’ll have to wait for my review and, of course, Sid’s even more extensive liners.
    I've forgotten how Fripp phrased it in the Great Deceiver boxset, but I could have sworn there was a sort of facetious/sarcastic comment implying that Kemp was "too sensible" or something like to stay in the band. I somehow have the impression that Fripp has suggested in the past that only a crazy person would choose to stay in King Crimson, or maybe that's his "dry English way" of facetiously explaining why the band had such an unstable lineup during it's original existence.

But maybe I'm getting my Fripp comments mixed up, and I'm thinking of some other instance where he implied someone was too sane to stay in the group, perhaps the Jamie Muir crack.

I’m not going to reveal more, as you’ll have to wait for my review and, of course, Sid’s even more extensive liners.
    Oh, you big tease.