Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Rush: “Hold Your Fire” – 30 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well being that Ged is Canadian, he is pronouncing Z as Canadians do (along with people from England, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, etc.) Why Americans chose to alter the pronunciation to "zee" I don't know. Perhaps because it rolls off the tongue easier when rhyming with other letters of the alphabet?
    It fits better when you sing it to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well being that Ged is Canadian, he is pronouncing Z as Canadians do (along with people from England, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, etc.) Why Americans chose to alter the pronunciation to "zee" I don't know. Perhaps because it rolls off the tongue easier when rhyming with other letters of the alphabet?
    Those damn Americans are ruining everything!!!

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...glish-language
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Obviously. The Rush that can do no wrong ended in 1985 after ten years worth of albums.
    I feel pretty fortunate that it ended for me in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Is it so hard for you people to acknowledge the fact that the party ended some 35 years ago? I absolutely adore Rush, but there's no way to convince anybody that they did anything remotely close to Jacob's Ladder, or Villa Strangiato or Tom Sawyer or whatever afterwards. And they didn't have to. It's at least 7 great records from Fly By Night to Moving Pictures - and I would even add the debut and Signals there. They did their duty to mankind, I am sure they are aware of that, and the rest could be good music or not so good music but it is definitely not of the same importance.

Ha Ha. My party is still going on!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I saw the Signals tour in the crappy Civic Center in Bismarck ND. Pretty sure it was a sellout. The energy was insane. "La Villa" was particularly incendiary that night. Of the new songs, "New World Man" and "Subdivisions" seemed to work best live. Me and my wife went with another couple and the rest of the evening was a debate on why Geddy was called YYZ "Why-Why-Zed".

Wish I'd seen that tour. I'll bet they pissed off a lot of people with that set though.

The only songs before Moving Pictures that were played on that tour were The Spirit Of Radio, Freewill, The Trees, Closer To The Heart, and the medley of Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx/Xanadu/La Villa Strangiato/In The Mood.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    I feel pretty fortunate that it ended for me in 2015.
    One more who hasn't heard Snakes and Arrows... When you do, make sure that you are seated.

One more who hasn't heard Snakes and Arrows... When you do, make sure that you are seated.
    I own Snakes and Arrows and have heard it about twice. Can't stand the mastering -- everything has been sacrificed at the altar of Loudness. I prefer music with notes.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I own Snakes and Arrows and have heard it about twice. Can't stand the mastering -- everything has been sacrificed at the altar of Loudness. I prefer music with notes.
    I take it you also have issues with Clockwork MF Angels as well?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

There is unrest in the forrest, and we've been smoking Lebanon.

Though I usually do sit while listening to this album, there are times where I feel I have to stand. Same goes for Snakes And Arrows Live.

Those 21st Century Rush albums are still heavy rotation for me.

I play the 21st Century studio discs quite often. The live material is a bit more of a problem because of Geddy's voice on the older material.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I play the 21st Century studio discs quite often. The live material is a bit more of a problem because of Geddy's voice on the older material.
    The older material, generally, isn't the reason I pull those out.

I remember running out to the record store to buy HYF as well as Pink Floyd's "Momentary Lapse..." the day they BOTH were released (I'm sure someone has already pointed this out somewhere in the thread?), Wed. Sept. 8, 1987. I remember carrying an armload of vinyl and cassettes to the counter - I was the designated "buyer" for three other friends - and the bemused look the clerk gave me.

Listened to those albums a ton that fall, as well as Yes' "Big Generator", which came out Nov. 7 (yeah, it's weird the things I remember) Aside from the fact that I strongly associate them all with a very good time in my life (HS senior year), none has held up especially well from a purely musical standpoint. I do still like them all to some degree, but as far as '80s Rush goes, I'm much more likely to reach for any of the albums that preceded HYF.

^The only one of those three I play much if at all at this point is A Momentary Lapse Of Reason.

For me,

Hold Your Fire > (Momentary Lapse of Reason = BG)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For me,

Hold Your Fire > (Momentary Lapse of Reason = BG)
    I agree that Hold Your Fire > Momentary Lapse of Reason. I like MLOR, but I kind of have to will myself to like it. Actually, if I think of it as a solo Gilmour album I like it. But I prefer HYF.

BG I was never able to listen to all the way through, but one of these days I should.

Does this mean that the Division Bell is the equivalent of Clockwork Motherfucking Angels?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does this mean that the Division Bell is the equivalent of Clockwork Motherfucking Angels?
    No, CMA is better than The Division Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No, CMA is better than The Division Bell.
    I don't agree with this opinion.

It's close, but I prefer TDB.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I don't agree with this opinion.

It's close, but I prefer TDB.
    I agree - about a tie except TDB is for the most part more interesting musicslly for me. CMA has the title track, "CMA" which is better than anything on TDB.