Thread: Can in concert Soest 1970

Can in concert Soest 1970

En hommage to Holger Czukay the WDR has put this full 90 minutes concert online until december 17. (The link might not work everywhere)

http://www1.wdr.de/mediathek/video/s...s-can-100.html
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Thanks so much for posting - will watch later today. This looks like the same venue with that very early Kraftwerk concert, yes?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

There was a nice (if occasionally feisty) thread about this amazing video 3 or 4 years ago, started by Udi:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...highlight=Damo

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Thanks so much for posting - will watch later today. This looks like the same venue with that very early Kraftwerk concert, yes?
    Yes that's it exactly. Both were filmed for German TV

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk

Since this thread has evolved (or devolved?) to talking about Can in general, there's something that was on my mind the other day. I'm sure weve all seen the clip of them donig Paperhouse on Beat Club. Well, one thing we've learned over the yeras is that at least some of the times, bands would perform in the WDR studios for that show, with the whole thing being videotaped, but let's say only a small portion would air. For instance, King Crimson peformed for over 30 minutes, but only a 6 minute version of Larks Tongues I was shown at the time. And the Grateful Dead played for over an hour, th ewhole thing being videotaped (well, until the ran out of tape during a long improvisation) but only One More Saturday Night aired.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows how long Can actually played for. Did they just do the one take of Paperhouse that made it to air, or did they actually played for a half hour or more, and the rest of the performance is sitting on a shelf in the WDR archives?

And I would ask the same question, now that I think of it, for other bands who appeared on the show, like Kraftwerk (during the short lived Schneider/Dinger/Rother era), Popol Vuh (when Florian Fricke was still playing synthesizer), Lucifer's Friend, and Passport (who at the time had Lothar Meid and Jimmy Jackson from the Amon Duul II crew). Hell, while I'm thinking about it, there was also The Byrds, Deep Purple, T Rex, Alice Cooper (with the original band!) and a boat load of others.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Since this thread has evolved (or devolved?) to talking about Can in general, there's something that was on my mind the other day. I'm sure weve all seen the clip of them donig Paperhouse on Beat Club. Well, one thing we've learned over the yeras is that at least some of the times, bands would perform in the WDR studios for that show, with the whole thing being videotaped, but let's say only a small portion would air. For instance, King Crimson peformed for over 30 minutes, but only a 6 minute version of Larks Tongues I was shown at the time. And the Grateful Dead played for over an hour, th ewhole thing being videotaped (well, until the ran out of tape during a long improvisation) but only One More Saturday Night aired.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows how long Can actually played for. Did they just do the one take of Paperhouse that made it to air, or did they actually played for a half hour or more, and the rest of the performance is sitting on a shelf in the WDR archives?

And I would ask the same question, now that I think of it, for other bands who appeared on the show, like Kraftwerk (during the short lived Schneider/Dinger/Rother era), Popol Vuh (when Florian Fricke was still playing synthesizer), Lucifer's Friend, and Passport (who at the time had Lothar Meid and Jimmy Jackson from the Amon Duul II crew). Hell, while I'm thinking about it, there was also The Byrds, Deep Purple, T Rex, Alice Cooper (with the original band!) and a boat load of others.
    In general the bands played longer, one good example is the 1971 video of Soft Machine for Radio Bremen where olnly a small portion was aired on the Beat Club show while Cuneiforme released the entire footage of about 20 minutes.
    The shelving place might have been a big problem back then and without knowing that some of these bands would become "famous" the radio stations didn't kept all or re-recorded over the tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    In general the bands played longer, one good example is the 1971 video of Soft Machine for Radio Bremen where olnly a small portion was aired on the Beat Club show while Cuneiforme released the entire footage of about 20 minutes.
    The shelving place might have been a big problem back then and without knowing that some of these bands would become "famous" the radio stations didn't kept all or re-recorded over the tapes.
    It is an interesting question though whether there are more gems to be unearthed from the old Beat Club videos. GG mentions the Byrds, for example, and there is a full 35 minute DVD available though they too probably only broadcast a few minutes of it. And there is the 90 minutes of Zappa and the Mothers from '68. A half-hour was broadcast but now the whole thing is on DVD. You would think Can would have wanted to improvise a lot given that is what they *did* so there might have been a lot more than just Paperhouse. Thrown away? Recorded over? Who knows. But more and more stuff just keeps coming from those vaults so maybe we'll see more of Can as well.

Is that the core quartet of Holger Czukay (bass), Irmin Schmidt (keyboards), Michael Karoli (guitar), and Jaki Liebezeit (drums) in the video? Holger and Jaki just left us this year

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Well, I don't know if WDR taped over anything, but they certainly seem to have saved a lot more than, any of comparable US or Anglo broadcasters. Case in point: ABC erased the masters of the original ABC In Concert program. This is why, for instance, we only have the heavily edited version of ELP's Cal Jam performance.