Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 103

Thread: John Coltrane!!

  1. #76
    Just started listening to Interstellar Space. Wow, what an amazing opening...
    National Flat Earth Society: The only thing we have to fear, is sphere itself.

  2. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Just started listening to Interstellar Space. Wow, what an amazing opening...
    Apparently, there's a CD edition, a remaster, I think, that, has a false start recorded into the pre-gap of track 1. You have to put the CD in, hit play, then hit and hold down the rewind button to hear the hidden track. That of course, assumes your CD player can deal with it, which I understand many can't. The version I have is the early 90's reissue, so it doesn't have the hidden false start.

  3. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    For me, Transition is key Coltrane. I love everything he ever did, but this record is so deep and so there that it is celestial for me.
    Transition was one of the first Coltrane albums I got, when the CD first came out, circa 93 or 94. BUT, some idiot at GRP, yes, the smooth jazz label, thought it would be a good idea to tamper with the track lists on their reissues, so that they featured music recorded entirely in one session or whatever. In the case of Transition, they dropped one track, Dear Lord (which was moved over to a new disc called Dear Old Stockholm, with the rest of the material from the session that Dear Lord came from), and it was replaced by two tracks, Vigil and Welcome, which had originally been on side two of Kulu Sé Mama.

    I suppose if we were just talking about posthumously released material, one could argue, "Well, Trane never authorized the original track list anyway", which is maybe a fair point. But, dammit, Kulu Sé Mama was authorized by Trane, having been released before he died, so splitting up the material to separate releases strikes me as...apocryphal, for want of a better choice of words. And "anyway", Transition was originally produced by Alice Coltrane, so one could use the counter-argument that if anyone knew how Trane would wnat that material released, it might be her.

    But even besidse that, once I was able to put together a digital playlist of the material reflecting the original LP release, I felt like Suite made a better ending for the album than Vigil. I think it gives a better resolution. Then again, Vigil was the last track on Kulu Sé Mama, so I guess maybe at least in that context, Trane wanted the unresolved ending. (shrug)

    Great music anyway you get to hear it.

  4. #79
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    5,047
    Transition is certainly one of Coltrane's best posthumous release (71, I think), for sure.

    Love Kule Se Mama as well.

    I've always thought Alice did quite a good job with John's musical legacy and Impulse! respected it as well.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  5. #80
    Let's just listen. Sublime! 3.25 to 3.30 might be my favorite 5 seconds of music ever!

    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

  6. #81
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,726
    I have 14 Coltrane albums, and one of my favourites that doesn't get mentioned as often is his debut, the one just called Coltrane from 1957. I know it doesn't reach the heights of some of the transcendent and spiritual works that were to come a few years later (and his early and later works are tough to compare, to my ears), but it's a remarkably strong work IMO, showing how ready he was to branch out on his own.

    Giant Steps and My Favourite Things probably round out my own personal top three, but I like them all to varying degrees. I should pad out my collection with a few more titles, it's paltry in comparison with my Miles collection.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  7. #82
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I have 14 Coltrane albums, and one of my favourites that doesn't get mentioned as often is his debut, the one just called Coltrane from 1957. I know it doesn't reach the heights of some of the transcendent and spiritual works that were to come a few years later (and his early and later works are tough to compare, to my ears), but it's a remarkably strong work IMO, showing how ready he was to branch out on his own.
    [
    Both s/t albums on Prestige, and Impulse are favorites of mine.

  8. #83
    Member wideopenears's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    597
    I think all his periods are great, from Prestige through Atlantic to the Impulse stuff, it's all essential to me. Black Pearls is an under-rated one......
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

  9. #84
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,745
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Black Pearls is an under-rated one......
    Oh yeah! That one is on FIRE.
    RATS' ALLEY: my mom's neighbor likes it. Available on CD and vinyl.
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

  10. #85
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    5,361
    We've all heard numerous takes of Coltrane playing"My Favorite Things" and we have our favorites.This is mine(subject to change without notice).Give this a listen.



    This is from the Pablo box.I wouldn't be surprised if the date and location are wrong.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  11. #86
    Same song, 5 years later and radically reconfigured:

    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

  12. #87
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,220


    Just released today. Sound is good but the balance is pretty poor. An interesting set unearthed.

  13. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post


    Just released today. Sound is good but the balance is pretty poor. An interesting set unearthed.
    Apologies if this is an ignorant question, but what do you mean by "balance"?

    Just curious, because I'm interested in this set myself but want to know if it's worth picking up.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

  14. #89
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,726
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Just released today. Sound is good but the balance is pretty poor. An interesting set unearthed.
    Just bought it today at the local indie shop. Will report back when I get a chance to spin it! Just got a nice bottle of Woodford Reserve so I'm hoping to pair them up very soon...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  15. #90
    Member wideopenears's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    597
    I have it, and have spun it once.
    It was recorded to reel-to-reel, using two microphones, by one of Coltrane's students. By "Balance," I think StarThrower means the balance between the instruments. (?)
    There is a fair amount of crowd noise, and the drums are loud but not well recorded---and the saxes in particular will fade in and out, as would be expected using two mics in a live setting like this. So, sound quality is not great, but it's good enough, considering the historical value of this recording. It is evidence, to me, of how quickly Trane's conception was moving, and the expanded line-up approaches the composition with a much more "free" approach. This is indeed the wildest version of A Love Supreme I have heard from Trane. It will be difficult listening for some. But it's not the full-bore freak out that Ascension is......
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

  16. #91
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Apologies if this is an ignorant question, but what do you mean by "balance"?

    Just curious, because I'm interested in this set myself but want to know if it's worth picking up.
    When I listened to the Pursuance track on headphones i could hardly hear the bass at all. As far as the rest? What Wideopenears said.

  17. #92
    I just got it. It is magnificent. Just amazing and I only wish we had more of this.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

  18. #93
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I just got it. It is magnificent. Just amazing and I only wish we had more of this.
    Of course we do, as this is from the same run of shows as the Live in Seattle album, and this lineup also went into a local studio to record Om during their stay in Seattle.
    RATS' ALLEY: my mom's neighbor likes it. Available on CD and vinyl.
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

  19. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I have it, and have spun it once.
    It was recorded to reel-to-reel, using two microphones, by one of Coltrane's students. By "Balance," I think StarThrower means the balance between the instruments. (?)
    There is a fair amount of crowd noise, and the drums are loud but not well recorded---and the saxes in particular will fade in and out, as would be expected using two mics in a live setting like this. So, sound quality is not great, but it's good enough, considering the historical value of this recording. It is evidence, to me, of how quickly Trane's conception was moving, and the expanded line-up approaches the composition with a much more "free" approach. This is indeed the wildest version of A Love Supreme I have heard from Trane. It will be difficult listening for some. But it's not the full-bore freak out that Ascension is......
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    When I listened to the Pursuance track on headphones i could hardly hear the bass at all. As far as the rest? What Wideopenears said.
    Ah, okay I understand now. I wasn't sure if balance was in reference to the sonics, or to the material being played.

    Thanks guys!
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

  20. #95
    The drums are loud, but I don't think they're poorly recorded. I can hear everything being played. It's never mushy or "was that a tom or a snare?"

    Saxes could definitely be more upfront.

    Jeezus. Tyner's solo in "Pursuance" is monster.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

  21. #96
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

    Jeezus. Tyner's solo in "Pursuance" is monster.
    That made the track worthwhile! I need to hear this record on my stereo. It's not a good headphone album.
    Last edited by StarThrower; 10-26-2021 at 06:47 PM.

  22. #97
    Of course we do, as this is from the same run of shows as the Live in Seattle album, and this lineup also went into a local studio to record Om during their stay in Seattle.
    i know that, but I want more more more....
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

  23. #98
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    1,691
    Having just listened to the ALS live in Seattle, I would agree that while the balance is a bit off sometimes, this is probably one of the best live recordings (in terms of sound quality) of the posthumous live Trane releases that I've heard. A definite buy for anyone into this period of Coltrane.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  24. #99
    Member wideopenears's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    The drums are loud, but I don't think they're poorly recorded. I can hear everything being played. It's never mushy or "was that a tom or a snare?"

    Saxes could definitely be more upfront.

    Jeezus. Tyner's solo in "Pursuance" is monster.
    I agree, after some headphone listening...and yeah, McCoy kills it. Also I dig having two basses, one arco and one pizz....very cool interludes.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

  25. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Having just listened to the ALS live in Seattle, I would agree that while the balance is a bit off sometimes, this is probably one of the best live recordings (in terms of sound quality) of the posthumous live Trane releases that I've heard. A definite buy for anyone into this period of Coltrane.
    The balance may be spot-on, in terms of what the audience that night heard. Apparently, it was a common problem that Elvin was so loud that everyone else was in the background at a club date like this.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •