Thread: Gandalf's Fist

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Gandalf's Fist

Listening to some of this band's epic, 3CD "The Clockwork Fable" on Aural Moon right now. Scratches my neo-prog itch! Never heard them before but heard of them ( I know!). The name always crack's me up because I think of the fictional prog band in that novel, forget the title or author but you know the one, about the kid living in England and he's in a prog band called something like Merlin's Pikestaff.

Anyway, any fans here? If anyone has the 3CD digipack, is it nicely produced? A bit pricey, but not when you think about it per CD.

I like them a lot. A Day In The Life Of A Universal Wanderer is pretty stellar.
    The Prog Corner

I listened to the 3 disc version on Spotify and kinda got bored- but kinda liked it all the same. I bought a vinyl EP from the album and this is much more enjoyable. Saw them at HRH Prog earlier this year and thought they were fab. That's all I've got.

I went ahead and ordered the 3CD set because it gets a great review from Sea of Tranquility. But I see there's narration in it, which is supposedly very well done but my mileage may vary. Oh well, looking forward to getting it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I like them a lot. A Day In The Life Of A Universal Wanderer is pretty stellar.
    Agree. A good band and Wanderer is their best album. I was not enthralled with Clockwork Fable. Just too long for me.

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    Agree. A good band and Wanderer is their best album. I was not enthralled with Clockwork Fable. Just too long for me.
    Can a Prog epic really get too long?

that Lamplighter stuff sounded pretty good to me.

I prefer the spin-off band Galadriel's Muff.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Oh, free Spotify makes concept albums so interesting. Seamless transition into the second song, and oh wait it's a Napa Brake Pads commercial and not the second song.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I prefer the spin-off band Galadriel's Muff.
    LOL. We could go on for a while like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Oh, free Spotify makes concept albums so interesting. Seamless transition into the second song, and oh wait it's a Napa Brake Pads commercial and not the second song.
    Yeah, imagine a three CD concept album with narration on free Spotify!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I pay £15.00 per month for a premium family account so no adverts and track transitions are fine on my phone. Thanks for your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    Thanks for your concern.
    Excuse me?

The name Spock's Beard was taken so this was their second best idea?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    The name Spock's Beard was taken so this was their second best idea?
    Gandalf's fist is probably old and knobbly, with greying, papery skin. Now that's prog!

Got the physical 3CD in the mail today. Will definitely need to get out the reading glasses for this one, and spread listening across several nights. One cute touch is where they list the cast for the album, they include "with YOU, THE LISTENER, as The Traveller"

Any other considerations aside, for a band to get it together and produce a physical, 3CD concept album these days deserves a lot of credit. And what I heard on Aural Moon, which was the eight part "The Lamplighter," was quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The name always crack's me up because I think of the fictional prog band in that novel, forget the title or author but you know the one, about the kid living in England and he's in a prog band called something like Merlin's Pikestaff.
    Jonathan Coe's The Rotters' Club. Plus its sequel, The Closed Circle, which is mostly set in the present, and thus has only peripherally to do with prog.

I swear I read somewhere that they have a new one coming out soon (if not already). I have been a bit scattered mentally lately, so I have no idea where I may have seen that...

They are selling their 3CD album Clockwork Fable for 10 British pounds for one week - starting now!

https://gandalfsfist.com/store